DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum Won't Bind with Controller

Conservative Nihilist

Reactions
I bought this Mavic Pro Platinum on eBay and launched a few uneventful Litchi waypoint flights with it, then I set it aside for a couple of months before yesterday taking it out for a flight again.

The drone would not bind with the controller, so I stepped through setting the drone's onboard switch to RC mode, then using DJI G4 to access the controller settings, followed by scrolling down to select the controller binding option, taking care to press the recessed bind button on the drone until its red light illuminated.

I repeated the sequence multiple times yet the drone just would not bind with the controller. The flight battery and controller battery were both fully charged, so I am at a loss as to why this binding process continues to fail no matter how many times I attempt it.

Any thoughts as to why this drone that worked as advertised without any issues in the past, would suddenly lose connection with its controller, would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I bought this Mavic Pro Platinum on eBay and launched a few uneventful Litchi waypoint flights with it, then I set it aside for a couple of months before yesterday taking it out for a flight again.

The drone would not bind with the controller, so I stepped through setting the drone's onboard switch to RC mode, then using DJI G4 to access the controller settings, followed by scrolling down to select the controller binding option, taking care to press the recessed bind button on the drone until its red light illuminated.

I repeated the sequence multiple times yet the drone just would not bind with the controller. The flight battery and controller battery were both fully charged, so I am at a loss as to why this binding process continues to fail no matter how many times I attempt it.

Any thoughts as to why this drone that worked as advertised without any issues in the past, would suddenly lose connection with its controller, would be appreciated.
Hmm, I was just looking at a couple of youtube videos about updating the Mavic Pro using DJI Assistant 2, and I wound up with the impression that it could become impossible to link the controller with the drone if such periodic updates are not carried out on both the drone and the controller.

I would be grateful if anyone could offer an opinion about this presumption I am drawing here, because generally speaking I distrust updates and avoid them like the plague by using Litchi only for all my flights.

I've read in a couple of forums that DJI updates are optional and not mandatory, but if the link between the drone and controller is being interrupted until an update is performed, then updates are indeed being forced on DJI drone users whether they like the idea or not. Any thoughts on this line of reasoning would be appreciated.

After about 3 minutes of deep meditation, I finally decided to overcome my fear of DJI updates, bearing in mind that a hobbled drone that flies, is better than a disabled drone gathering dust on a shelf.

Connected in turn both the Mavic Pro Platinum drone and then its controller via micro USB to USB cable to my newly downloaded copy of DJI Assistant 2 on the desktop. The Firmware version was updated to Version V01.04.0050 which shows as the latest firmware edition dated 2018-09-03. The controller was already current with the same version of firmware V01.04.0500 as the drone, so no update occurred for the controller.

With both the drone and the controller now on the same firmware page, as it were, it was now time for the moment of truth. I unplugged the micro USB cable, connected the Mavic's controller to my iPad with the usual flash cable, opened DJI Go4, and selected the controller icon, before scrolling down to the controller binding option with the drone. I went through the binding procedure again with high hopes of success which were immediately dashed when the drone and controller STILL failed to bind.

Now that the firmware update is no longer an issue that could prevent the drone from binding with its controller, I am now at a loss as to what next to try in order to regain the use of this Mavic Pro Platinum. Adding to my dismay, I found that my Mavic Pro1 has also lost all connectivity with its controller as well. I will go through the firmware update with that drone next, but with dwindling hopes that a similar firmware update will solve the problem of that drone abruptly losing connectivity with its controller as well. The odd thing with the Mavic Pro was that the first time I started it up, it WAS bound to its controller, but without any camera image appearing on the iPad screen. When I restarted the drone a second time, it completely lost its connectivity as well.

The upshot now is that I have TWO Mavic Pro drones that no longer link with their controllers despite my having updated the firmware on the Mavic Pro platinum to the current Version designated as V01.04.-0050. I would be very grateful for any pointers that can be offered as to how I can go about binding either or both of my Mavic Pro1 drones to their respective controllers so that I can fly them again. Prior to this sudden lockout, both drones worked perfectly and were connected to their controllers consistently each time I flew them over the past few months.

Just in case the batteries for the Mavic Pro 1 Platinum are NOT compatible with the Mavic Pro 1, on several earlier flights, I used the Mavic Pro Platinum battery in the Mavic Pro with no apparent ill effects. I mention this detail just in case this battery swap turns out to be a factor that could explain why both Mavics are now disconnected from their respective controllers.

All my drones are fitted with super bright Firehouse mini-strobes to deter birds of prey from trying anything listed in the Geneva Convention, and on my Mavic Pros, the rear of the fuselage partially obscuring the orange indicator light's upper edge was the ideal location that posed the least air resistance during flight.

Strobe Light Position.JPG

While these strobes haven't in any way hundred the drone's normal flight over many hours in the past, I wonder whether this particular location for the strobe might be a source of interference only during the binding process that links the drones to their RC controllers. The strobes are held on by adhesive that won't hold quite as well once detached and re-affixed, so I'd like to be sure that their removal is vital to the binding process before I take that step.

Once again I'd be most grateful to hear from any forum readers who might be familiar with the internal component placement of the Mavic Pro and Pro Platinum, and therefore in a position to make a recommendation about whether or not to relocate or remove the strobes, despite their key role in raptor deterrence above the forest treetops here.

Did you purchase your drone and controller as a set from eBay?
Did the controller ever bind with the Mavic Pro?
Why not contact DJI for assistance?

Did you purchase your drone and controller as a set from eBay?
Did the controller ever bind with the Mavic Pro?
Why not contact DJI for assistance?
Both the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Pro Platinum were purchased in excellent working condition from separate buyers on eBay during the past year or so, with their own dedicated controllers both linked and working as advertised. I flew both of these drones multiple times without any hard landings or crashes that could explain this sudden lockout I'm seeing with both drones.

This sudden de-linking of both drones is utterly baffling, and of course, if they don't work I cannot sell them off as they are essentially worthless to a new buyer unless I can somehow figure out how to get them working again. I did write to the DJI forum and was asked to update the firmware of both the drones and their controllers, which I did to no avail thus far. I've tried both versions of the binding process at least a dozen times on each drone with the same failed result every single time.

I've always flown both drones at a sedate 17.9 miles per hour on Litchi waypoint missions whose every turn was gradual and smooth. In short, I babied both drones, and thus far they remain dead and totally unable to link with their controllers.

After you reported your M1P doing the same thing, I brought out my MPP just to make sure it wasn't some date-related, DJ I imposed restriction or something 'off the wall' like that.

Mine connected under all four possible conditions:
  • Direct to phone via Wi-Fi (switch on right side)
  • Controller only, no mobile device
  • Phone in controller connected to side micro-usb port
  • Tablet connected to bottom USB-A port
Sorry you're having problems with both, but there has to be some commonality there... just a matter of finding what it is.

p.s. have you tried connecting to the MPP with just your phone via Wi-Fi?

Umanbean I am actually glad to hear from a Mavic Pro1 owner whose drone is not showing any of the symptoms that both of mine suddenly developed because the conspiracy theorist in me had begun to suspect that Mavics worldwide were being remotely disabled by DJI for some obscure reason.

I've never in the past operated either of my Mavic Pros via a Wifi link and without a controller, but this is the next test I will run now that you mention it, to try and figure out whether there is something wrong with the controllers, though the probability that both controllers could develop similar faults at the same time is remote.

I learned for the first time today that the Mavic batteries also require firmware updates so I've got all six of them here ready to install in both drones and then connect to DJI Assistant 2 so as to find out if they could also do with a firmware update to remain compatible with the drones both of which I updated yesterday. Henceforth I will stop using the MPP batteries in the MP even though they are supposedly compatible, just to eliminate a battery mismatch as a possible causative factor.

Finally got the Mavic Pro working normally, and the problem was so simple I'm slightly embarrassed to own up. The SD card was one of the older 32GB ones I had laying around. Swapped it out for a faster and newer 64GB SanDisc SD card, and the drone resumed normal operation instantly.

Thinking I might be on a roll, I swapped out the SD card in the Mavic Pro Platinum with that newer 64GB SD card, but that solution didn't work as it did with the Mavic Pro. Anyway, I'll keep plugging at it, and will duly report the resolution that ultimately solve this connectivity issue, even if it turns out to be something trivial that ought to have been obvious right from the get-go.

FWIW: When I bought my MPP through the classifieds here, the kit came with 4 batteries - 3 the color of the M1P, only one the color of the MPP. Later found two brand new platinum color batteries and bought them. I fly regularly with all of them, rotated, and never had any problems from any.

IMO, the color of the batteries makes no difference.

When I bought this MPP, the seller was kind enough to upgrade the AC firmware to the latest version before he shipped it, same as you stated above, and the RC is on the same firmware version also. Neither he nor I have ever updated the firmware on any of the batteries. I may be wrong but don't think that's your problem.

IMO, the color of the batteries makes no difference.
Correct.

Both same specs, ATL only have the one MSDS for the Mavic Pro . . .

https://droneshopperth.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Mavic-Pro-MSDS-2.pdf

(It's interesting to read ATL specify using a water based fire extinguisher to fight a lipo battery fire.)

Other battery sheets for DJI batteries made by ATL here . . .

I will now add a MAJOR word of caution to any Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum owner that ever should find themselves locked out of their drone as I have just been, and urged to update the firmware as a prerequisite to once again flying that drone.

The most recent firmware update offered for the above-specified drones, and possibly even for ALL older DJI drones that previously enjoyed Litchi's freedoms, is designed to DISABLE that drone PERMANENTLY from connecting with Litchi, and thereby FORCE users to operate their drones with DJI Go products ONLY, going forward.

I am writing these words in my official capacity as the Litchi community’s self-appointed guinea pig, with all privileges and rights implied. The Firmware version updated to Version V01.04.0050 which is the latest edition dated 2018-09-03, is specifically designed to terminate with extreme prejudice the use of DJI's older products by ALL drone owners who happen to prefer Litchi’s formidable waypoint capabilities and therefore use Litchi EXCLUSIVELY.

If like me your primary or even sole use of DJI products entails flying waypoint missions with the Litchi platform to the complete exclusion of all other offerings, let me spare you a whole lot of grief by urging that you do NOT update your DJI Mavic Pro or Pro Platinum drone’s firmware to Version V01.04.0050, whose PRIMARY function is to deprive you of access to Litchi’s amazing features for the rest of all time.

If my intended countermeasures do not succeed, then I will wind up with a pair of very costly conversation pieces that I will have no choice but to sell off in favor of buying an Evo product in the very near future. To describe my current mood as one of utter disbelief and indignant outrage would be an understatement. Litch users are hereby cautioned to avoid falling into DJI’s horrible update trap as I have done.

Yee hath been warned fellow Litchi adherents, so tread with great care. I only wish I knew 72 hours ago what I know now. Some anguished wailing and gnashing of teeth are about to ensue here, so I'll update later if and when this dreadful nightmare ends.

The Firmware version updated to Version V01.04.0050 which is the latest edition dated 2018-09-03, is specifically designed to terminate with extreme prejudice the use of DJI's older products by ALL drone owners who happen to prefer Litchi’s formidable waypoint capabilities and therefore use Litchi EXCLUSIVELY.
Litchi works fine with my MPP, period.

In fact, I fly with four different devices and, to the best of my knowledge without checking, they have different versions of Litchi loaded over the years and not updated.

Did you figure out the connection issue with your MPP? Did you try connecting direct via Wi-Fi?

BTW... Litchi also works fine with all my devices connected direct via Wi-Fi, complete with on-screen virtual sticks, etc .

I only wish I knew 72 hours ago what I know now.
There are ways to revert to older firmware. The MPP is DJIs last great drone that is fully and easily hackable... the very reason I decided last year to buy one instead of a mini 2.

Last edited:
For the first time ever, Umanbean, I was able to connect the Mavic Pro Platinum directly with my iPad, after retrieving the Wifi password from the small print inside the drone's battery bay floor. The camera view materialized before my disbelieving eyes right away on the DJI Go app's screen, and I was elated to see this incremental step accomplished. This at least confirms that the drone could be flown with my iPad using DJI Go, even without the firmware rollback I now urgently seek.

Went to the Litchi app screen and as I feared, there was no camera view and no file retrieval folder icons to indicate connectivity, thus sadly confirming that this latest Mavic Pro firmware update did have the effect of preventing the drone from connecting with Litchi in a sneaky underhanded way disguised as "improved" firmware capable of delivering better flight performance figures. My attempts to execute a firmware rollback using DJI Assistant 2 predictably failed, so I am weighing up the various Plan B options available online.

The Mavic Pro Platinum's controller remains disconnected from the drone after multiple attempts to bind it with the drone subsequent to updating the firmware on both the drone and its controller to the current version denoted V01.04.0050 that is dated 2019-09-03.

All told, I am relieved to note your assurance here that the usual firmware rollback hacks will work on my pair of Mavics at least for the foreseeable future. Like you, I don't intend to buy any newer DJI drones than the ones I already own, mainly because fully autonomous Litchi waypoint flights that extend well beyond RC signal and visual range are the only type of drone missions I ever launch. I'll write back here soon, as my drone hack studies progress.

I'll write back here soon, as my drone hack studies progress.
When I first got mine, my initial research was to go to the MPP Forum here and read back about ten pages, same for the M1P forum. Lots of useful, relevant information archived here.

Synopsis:
Super Patcher is free and works fine if you can negotiate the labyrinth.

Drone Hacks, last I checked, costs around 45 bucks US and is menu-driven.

This insight is appreciated Umanbean. I finally went with NLD which allowed me to roll back the drone's firmware but couldn't connect to the drone's controller. I'm awaiting clarification from the folks at NLD, and keeping my fingers crossed.

I've noted Super Patcher and Drone Hacks in case I wind up needing to try an alternate route. My hat is off to you sir. I am most grateful for these pointers and now I am more confident than ever that this bird will soon take to the skies again.

Maybe not a suitable question, but does you dji account work with your internet via a WiFi connected android phone?

The Mavic Pro does connect to the iPad via WiFi, after I entered the Wifi password in fine print on the floor of the drone's battery compartment. The camera view comes up on DJI Go, but not with Litchi, which is now completely disconnected from the drone for the first time ever. I'm still trying various workaround solutions, and if they don't work as advertised, I'll wind up flying old Phantom 3 Standard for the foreseeable future, which I could get used to for sure.

Finally and at long last, I am elated to confirm that BOTH my Mavic Pro1 drones are fully operational, airworthy, and connected to Litchi once again. After 3 days and as many sleepless nights feverishly dabbling in the dark realm that cannot be directly named here in the spirit of Omerta, an unexpected breakthrough materialized and now, both these old Mavic Pro drones are ready to take to the skies on fully autonomous Litchi waypoint missions, just as was possible before DJI's dastardly machinations came perilously close to grounding the flagships of my humble drone fleet.

For anyone who ever finds themselves locked out of Litchi due to a forcibly imposed DJI firmware update, all the gory details of my life-and-death struggle can be seen over at the Litchi forum where I had also posed my initial questions when this nightmare first began to unfold a couple of days ago.

Can Litchi be used to bind a Mavic Pro to its controller?

All's well that ends well, suffice to say. Blue skies and smooth landings to you all. Over and out, for now, hehe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21