DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro shot sparks on takeoff

Mcolvin32

Reactions
I went to take the mavic pro off and it shot sparks into the air and it smelled like it burnt a motor. But it is flying fine now... I've only gotten about 40 flights with it I'm really confused can anyone tell me what's up? Thanks

Yes it could have been a rock or other debris. Before you fly it again, turn all the motors by hand to make sure none of them make a grinding noise. Which motor was it?

I don't know what motor it was because the smell was undetectable after about 5 min

You can look inside each of the motors and see if there is any discoloration in any of them. If you see any black coils, that's your sparked motor.

I just took props off and spun and looked into motors without removing silver housings and nothing seems astray.

I think you got lucky. I would still keep an eye on it for a while to make sure none of the motors are getting too hot. You should be able to touch them with your fingers after a flight. If any of them are too hot to touch, that could lead to a problem.

Thanks for the advice would a situation like that be under warranty?

I think it could be covered unless they determine it was pilot error. But a foreign obstacle getting into a motor is in a gray area. They might cover it.

Okay well I'll cross my fingers and hope all is well and chest motors after next flight.

I think you got lucky. I would still keep an eye on it for a while to make sure none of the motors are getting too hot. You should be able to touch them with your fingers after a flight. If any of them are too hot to touch, that could lead to a problem.
I've noticed they get hot to touch if flown vigorously in Sport mode. Like the get really hot. They don't burn you, but they make you say ouch.

The motors all seem to be doing fine I have checked them after each flight and all seems well... I'm really relieved

The motor wire is lightly sprayed to insulate it from adjacent wire and bit of sand or rock in the motor could (could being the key word) of scraped the insulation off and the motor could fail prematurely. Perhaps a return on the cards.

The motor wire is lightly sprayed to insulate it from adjacent wire and bit of sand or rock in the motor could (could being the key word) of scraped the insulation off and the motor could fail prematurely. Perhaps a return on the cards.
Could I just check if that has happened?

I am never amazed at all the stuff posted on here. Im waiting to hear of the Mavic hit by lighting.

Reactions: Mcolvin32
Yeah I don't know I have been flying fine ever since but I have been checking my motors.

Could I just check if that has happened?
Nope.
You would need to do an insulation resistance test across the windings to test the insulation strength. This is not something simple to do.
I believe the readings for motor windings is in excess of 2Mega ohms but maybe less for this device. (I'm talking commercial motor windings).

Nope.
You would need to do an insulation resistance test across the windings to test the insulation strength. This is not something simple to do.
I believe the readings for motor windings is in excess of 2Mega ohms but maybe less for this device. (I'm talking commercial motor windings).
So do you suggest I contact dji about this then?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78