DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro simply fell out of the sky while flying

Not sure if your problem is the same as I had. About a month ago, was flying my Mavic when, at about 140 ft, it dropped like a stone and got caught in a tree 60 ft above the ground. Was recording at the time ant it simply stopped right before the crash. Sent it in and DJI replaced the flight controller under warranty. The turnaround time was terrible.

If you send it to DJI, please make sure not to send the battery. It could explode in transit. You might start by taking pictures and filing a warranty claim.

Thanks! Yeah, I figured it would be dangerous, and also DJI mentioned it on their support site, too.

Cheers man!
Ash

Not sure if your problem is the same as I had. About a month ago, was flying my Mavic when, at about 140 ft, it dropped like a stone and got caught in a tree 60 ft above the ground. Was recording at the time ant it simply stopped right before the crash. Sent it in and DJI replaced the flight controller under warranty. The turnaround time was terrible.

Hopefully they do a little more than that for me haha! Sorry to hear about that, but glad it was taken care of :)

It's stuff like this that makes me terrified of flying over deeper water where I wouldn't be able to recover my drone.
I put two float devices called "Getter Back" on my Mavic. They are designed to get your fishing rod back if you drop it in the water. After sinking about a meter the bright yellow float pops out with thirty meters of fishing line attached to your drone.

I put two float devices called "Getter Back" on my Mavic. They are designed to get your fishing rod back if you drop it in the water. After sinking about a meter the bright yellow float pops out with thirty meters of fishing line attached to your drone.

I will look into it now. Thank you!

And thank you! I do try to respect everyone's privacy while flying - if I do happen to fly over houses or people, it's 200ft or higher so the noise doesn't annoy them and so I don't make them feel uncomfortable.

I try my best to observe this too. I guess it would be logically considerate for everyone else to be conscious of this.

Hope you get to resolve your problem with DJI.

they are saying that i initiated CSC while flying. i find it hard to believe because i ensure that setting is on "in emergencies only" every time i fly. if the setting for that is stored on the aircraft, then would it apply to any device i use with the controller, as long as its signed into my dji account? if i have two phones - if i decided to use my galaxy s8, should that setting be the same there as it is on my usual device (an iPhone 7)?

Are settings for Mavics stored on the phone in the app or on the aircraft?
Most of them are stored on the aircraft. Some are stored on the mobile device where DJI GO is installed.

Is it possible that you put a bad battery in your Mavic (i.e. swollen or bulging case.) you said it was bulging when you removed it. Maybe the battery failed in flight.

I agree with you guys above me - I know I did not initiate CSC - I had that option set to in emergencies only. I dont see any warnings in the TXT file other than battery and GPS warnings - nothing about emergencies.

How should I handle it if they decide to try and ding me for a replacement due to this mysterious CSC the customer service rep says I did? Hit up customer service again?

Thanks
Ash

Why not ask them to produce the flight log that is showing you initiated a CSC?

I asked the online chat person and they told me to call. I literally just got the quote - $696.00 for a replacement... They are dinging me with initiating CSC. I guess I'll call and ask for the log file!

Is it possible that you put a bad battery in your Mavic (i.e. swollen or bulging case.) you said it was bulging when you removed it. Maybe the battery failed in flight.

It's reasonable to assume that is a possibility :) But nah, I check the batteries every time I insert them. I check for swelling, cracks, water, and I do my best to check the contacts on the aircraft and on the battery. I'm not sure why the battery bulged when I removed it from the water. Could have happened because of the dip into the water, could have been the cause of the crash - not sure.

Reactions: scottebay
My drone drop from the sky from 90 meters, log shows nothing, in level flight and then gone. When I recovered the unit the battery was puffed out, it would still power the drone but would not clip fully into place. No longer fit the drone. I use another battery and it still flew breifly. Drone over heated and shut down, cooling fan no longer runs which I suspect is damage from the crash. DJI replaced the battery but has not responded to the damage casued by the failed battery/ They want $200 to repair the unit, it was a week old when crash occurred.

I think even a small amount of swelling of the battery will pop the clips and it may be a design issue. DJI has the drone but has not respond to the claim in 4 weeks. Next time I fly the Mavic, there will be large elastic band around the battery. Might at least give it a chance to RTH.

I suggest State Farm Insurance. For $60 a year your covered regardless of fault. Even covers your Mavic if stolen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll