DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro slight yaw with no input.

ch5richards

Reactions
Noticed a slight issue with my Mavic. Sometime when I let it hover it will yaw very slightly to the left or right. Sometimes it will only do it for a little bit and other times I will have to give input on the stick to keep it stationary for my shot.

I noticed while trying to get some sunrise shots this morning and figured now would be a good time to try and get a little video of it. So when the video first starts you can see it slightly yaw to the left, that was with no input. I almost immediatly fly it in a tight circle and stop to see if the problem is there. I let go around the 16 second mark and it just starts to yaw to the right pretty bad (IMHO), it does seem to get better and maybe even stop. But then I make it slide to the left for a few seconds to see if that has any effect but it still seems to turn. Then at 43 seconds I start a right turn. When I stop it at 51 seconds it yaws back to the left pretty good. Next I spun it to the left at 58 seconds. When I stop at 1:08 it start yawing back to opposite way agin.

I read up on this a little and have tried to calibrate my controller, I also did an imu calibration. Neither one seemed to help, it is possible I messed those steps up, and would more than willing to try them again if anyone feels that is a likely culprit.

Typically uncommanded yaw is a compass issue, but then the yaw is in one direction.

In your case though it sounds like you need to perform an RC (stick) calibration. Some have had to do it a few times.

If calibration doesn't work, it's possible the stick position sensors on your RC is bad or there's magnetic interference/residue with them. They do use hall effect sensors.
See if you can borrow an RC to test.

Logs might show if the sticks are sending small yaw commands.

Noticed a slight issue with my Mavic. Sometime when I let it hover it will yaw very slightly to the left or right. Sometimes it will only do it for a little bit and other times I will have to give input on the stick to keep it stationary for my shot.

I noticed while trying to get some sunrise shots this morning and figured now would be a good time to try and get a little video of it. So when the video first starts you can see it slightly yaw to the left, that was with no input. I almost immediatly fly it in a tight circle and stop to see if the problem is there. I let go around the 16 second mark and it just starts to yaw to the right pretty bad (IMHO), it does seem to get better and maybe even stop. But then I make it slide to the left for a few seconds to see if that has any effect but it still seems to turn. Then at 43 seconds I start a right turn. When I stop it at 51 seconds it yaws back to the left pretty good. Next I spun it to the left at 58 seconds. When I stop at 1:08 it start yawing back to opposite way agin.

I read up on this a little and have tried to calibrate my controller, I also did an imu calibration. Neither one seemed to help, it is possible I messed those steps up, and would more than willing to try them again if anyone feels that is a likely culprit.

The Mavic Pro has a setting called gimbal yaw follow and what it does is will yaw the gimbal before the aircraft yaws and then smooths out the yaw movement. This is enabled by default in the advanced gimbal settings.

What this means is when you stop yawing the gimbal will be offset from the aircraft and will slowly recent we itself after a period of time of no yaw from the aircraft. It’s “unwinding” itself.

That plus in low light conditions like that it’s unable to focus on a particular point to keep itself in line. The gimbal has a separate IMU from the aircraft (this is what gets calibrated when doing a gimbal calibration among other calibrations) so to keep itself straight it will focus on a point and lock onto it. In low light it cannot do this

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
The Mavic Pro has a setting called gimbal yaw follow and what it does is will yaw the gimbal before the aircraft yaws and then smooths out the yaw movement. This is enabled by default in the advanced gimbal settings.

What this means is when you stop yawing the gimbal will be offset from the aircraft and will slowly recent we itself after a period of time of no yaw from the aircraft. It’s “unwinding” itself.

That plus in low light conditions like that it’s unable to focus on a particular point to keep itself in line. The gimbal has a separate IMU from the aircraft (this is what gets calibrated when doing a gimbal calibration among other calibrations) so to keep itself straight it will focus on a point and lock onto it. In low light it cannot do this
Interesting description of the gimbal with its own IMU.
Over the course of this summer, I replace my MPP gimbal and it's control board originating from a Mavic Pro, not an MPP. I have noticed that the gimbal is unable to offset the tilt of the aircraft when flying sideways or even crab, even during a yawing waypoint mission. I thought it was due to side wind, but it does it with a shield attached. I don't recall experiencing this inability to level the lens with the original gimbal on the MPP. With that plus other evidence, I've been holding onto the theory that there is fundamental difference in the gimbal makeup and the gimbal control board between the MPP and the MP. I am rebuilding the original MPP gimbal and will install it back in the MPP and see if it handles sideways flight better.

Interesting description of the gimbal with its own IMU.
Over the course of this summer, I replace my MPP gimbal and it's control board originating from a Mavic Pro, not an MPP. I have noticed that the gimbal is unable to offset the tilt of the aircraft when flying sideways or even crab, even during a yawing waypoint mission. I thought it was due to side wind, but it does it with a shield attached. I don't recall experiencing this inability to level the lens with the original gimbal on the MPP. With that plus other evidence, I've been holding onto the theory that there is fundamental difference in the gimbal makeup and the gimbal control board between the MPP and the MP. I am rebuilding the original MPP gimbal and will install it back in the MPP and see if it handles sideways flight better.
I don’t know that much about the repair stuff but the people that do always talk about the need for DJI factory software to calibrate a new gimbal to a new aircraft. It’s like the initial calibration to pair the gimbal with the aircraft. Usually they are talking about M2, Phantom, and Spark but maybe the same applies to Mavic Pro, idk.

Maybe @lolo780 is still around and might have some insight?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d