DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro still worth it now that Mavic 2 is available?

SDex

Reactions
Hi Folks. Long time reader, first time poster here...
I own a few cheaper drones (Bebop, Breeze); they’re ok but quite limited (mainly in flight range); but have been good for gaining some flight experience. I’ve been considering purchasing a Mavic Pro or Air for a while now. I am strictly a hobbyist, no plans to fly professionally. The Mavic 2 zoom looks great but is a bit beyond my budget. Just this morning I saw a deal on a Mavic Pro Fly more combo for $400 off, priced at $899. This seems like a great deal to me and falls within my budget. I’ve always thought the video and photo quality of the Mavic Pro were excellent for my needs and the flight range seems very solid. Now I’m struggling with decision to jump on this Mavic Pro combo deal or keep saving up for Mavic 2 Zoom combo (which might take several months).

Any advice with regards to this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I would require at least 2 batteries (3 would be preferred)
I mainly photograph / record landscapes (mostly beach, coastal and foliage)

Hi Folks. Long time reader, first time poster here...
I own a few cheaper drones (Bebop, Breeze); they’re ok but quite limited (mainly in flight range); but have been good for gaining some flight experience. I’ve been considering purchasing a Mavic Pro or Air for a while now. I am strictly a hobbyist, no plans to fly professionally. The Mavic 2 zoom looks great but is a bit beyond my budget. Just this morning I saw a deal on a Mavic Pro Fly more combo for $400 off, priced at $899. This seems like a great deal to me and falls within my budget. I’ve always thought the video and photo quality of the Mavic Pro were excellent for my needs and the flight range seems very solid. Now I’m struggling with decision to jump on this Mavic Pro combo deal or keep saving up for Mavic 2 Zoom combo (which might take several months).

Any advice with regards to this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I would require at least 2 batteries (3 would be preferred)
I mainly photograph / record landscapes (mostly beach, coastal and foliage)

I got my Mavic Pro fly more on Prime Day for $999 knowing that the Mavic 2 was coming soon. I have been more than happy with it. I get great footage and it is a blast to fly around even not filming anything. Personally, if I were to get a Mavic 2, I would opt for the Pro rather than the Zoom. The dolly zoom seems cool but after watching many reviews on both, the Pro seems the way to go. The extra couple minutes of flight time on either of the new versions doesn’t justify the price to me.

You are getting into the realm of personal opinion. You have done the math and know the difference. You also know your situation better then anyone else. Personally, I think you'd be better off saving the money and getting the Pro. From what I see, it will deliver for what you need 100%. Will you need to fly the extra 2 miles or so or is 2-3 miles good enough? IMHO, the camera on the 2/Zoom is not huge difference. Yes, it is better but the video on the Pro is very good as well (I'm considering the price difference here as well).

IMHO, the pro gives you 100% of what you need and the 2/Zoom would give you 110% but at a higher price.

As you mentioned, you will need more batteries so the 2/Zoom is going to cost more then the price you'd pay right now. If it's above you budget now, it will be above that in a short time.

I don't have the 2/Zoom. I bought an older Phantom 2 Vision back in the day. I then jumped on the Phantom 3 Professional. I then bought the P4, the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air. I could have done without the Air. At this time I'm just over buying the newest and latest thing from DJI. They seem to be more interested in releasing new drones with small improvements and getting the price of another drone sold. Personally, I won't buy until they really improve collision avoidance and tracking. Range is pretty much pointless at this time. We won't see much change in cameras or flight time for awhile.

Thank for the quick replies folks. I agree the additional few minutes of flight time doesn’t justify the additional cost (IMHO). I would like to achieve realistically 2 miles of range if possible. Again, Mavic Pro would definitely be sufficient. I don’t anticipate seeing a better price for the combo anytime soon. I honestly thought the $999 prime day deal was about as good as it would get but the $899 price today has me reaching fo my debit card....

I have one of each now. I use mine commercially, so the M2 Imaging capability was a no-brainer upgrade for me...

That said, the original MP has amazing capabilities, which should suit your needs perfectly.

I’ll still continue to use my original Mavic for all recreational use.

I'm very happy with my Mavic Pro. I'd recommend you look at user posted videos to see what the video quality is like, and if you would be happy with it. If you're like me, you make a video, look at it once or twice, then it just takes up space on the computer, and then look forward to making the next video. Wash, rinse repeat. I do plan on buying the M2P within the next six months, not because the increased features justify the price over my existing MP, but because I like squandering my money on toys ;-) For me, the biggest draw of the M2P is it's low light ability and wider dynamic range. I like taking pictures and video's of sunsets.

I use my MP all the time, just to play around. My house is surrounded by trees, so when I hear a storm rolling in, I deploy the Mavic. It's fun watching a big nasty cloud rolling your way, and you can see the rain falling to the ground below as it moves across the terrain.

Regards,

Kevin

The low light features of the M2P are spot on reason to get it. If you are strictly using it for recreation, $899, I wouldn’t be able to get my debit card out fast enough.

Reactions: conchman
Admittedly, the general picture quality of the MP is great for most but...

1) I hate the very fragile nature of the MP gimbal.

2) Obstacle avoidance matters a lot to me since I have crashed a drone or two.

3) Because of number 2, I repeat number 1.

4) Low light shots. I have always envied such shots and look forward to good shots otherwise impossible from a Mavic Air, Mavic Pro of Mavic Pro Platinum.

Thanks to all that replied. Mavic Pro Fly More combo purchase complete. $955 all in (I live in Taxachusetts).
Now..... should I buy the DJI care / warranty deal.... hmmmm....

Thanks to all that replied. Mavic Pro Fly More combo purchase complete. $955 all in (I live in Taxachusetts).

Taxachusetts??? Washington has 10% sales tax. We don’t have a state income tax however. Not sure if you do but I woulda had to pay $90 in sales tax. I did order mine directly thru DJI and they didn’t charge anything at least.

That choice is up to you of course, but personally I didn't want it this time. I didn't want to deal with DJI ever after the purchase, with phone tag and frustration, and then receive a buggy refurb in return (been there, done that). If I wreck this Mavic or need a repair, I'll send it to Thunderdrones who will do a great job, and send My bird back to me. It also helps support one of our own. Just my .02

Regards,

Kevin

Reactions: Rbruz

You will absolutely love it. It's going to be like Christmas morning all over again. I'm still amazed at the sophistication and capabilities for such a small drone. Not that long ago, if you wanted to get Mavic quality video footage, you would have to hire a video production company with a helicopter. Now I notice when I'm watching movies from the 70's and 80's the aerial scenes filmed with helicopters, and they absolutes suck compared to what the Mavic can do. It makes me glad I'm not Amish........

Regards,

Kevin

Reactions: bassnbeau
Mavic Pro is great. Still considering to go on Mavic 2 Pro or probably the zoom. Quite a difficult decision as both have particularly useful applications (depends on what you are filming),

Just get the 2 Pro. The gimbal change service will allow people to change them out. I know its like a $200 difference but when I decide to get the MP 2 I will get the Pro.

I have a sealed, never opened Mavic Pro and also a sealed never opened Spark Fly More package that I bought, what do you think they are worth, I was thinking of selling them both and get a Mavic 2.

I also own another Mavic Pro that I fly all the time and also a Phantom 4, I originally bought the second Mavic Pro just to have as a backup in case I ever had a fly away, the Spark was just to have a small drone to take on trips, but never opened it either.

Thanks in advance for your opinion

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure