DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Strobes

JMagnus

Reactions
I purchased the Firehouse Cree strobes - 2 white and 2 red. I intended to put the 2 white on mounts on the front of the drone and the two red on mounts on the back of the drone. I'm doing this to improve the drone's visibility for my eyes. Now that I have them I began to wonder about which color to place in which position. Are there any restrictions on what colors go in front vs go in back? Thanks.

I purchased the Firehouse Cree strobes - 2 white and 2 red. I intended to put the 2 white on mounts on the front of the drone and the two red on mounts on the back of the drone. I'm doing this to improve the drone's visibility for my eyes. Now that I have them I began to wonder about which color to place in which position. Are there any restrictions on what colors go in front vs go in back? Thanks.
Traditionally I would mount them like an automobile- white in front, red in back. Some of the first quads I owned from Horizon Hobby and Yuneec have the reverse, and even my Mavic had red in front.
I mount my white in front and red in back since I’m conditioned to see it that way, and I’m the pilot.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Traditionally I would mount them like an automobile- white in front, red in back. Some of the first quads I owned from Horizon Hobby and Yuneec have the reverse, and even my Mavic had red in front.
I mount my white in front and red in back since I’m conditioned to see it that way, and I’m the pilot.

Hope this helps.

Jake
It does help Jake. Thank you! I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a regulation against mounting them that way. I like white in front and red in back too. :)

Are there any restrictions on what colors go in front vs go in back?
No. The FAA only requires aircraft to be visible from 3 miles away.

Reactions: JMagnus
Not sure I understand the "traditional" remark only to have you then compare a land based vehicle. Traditional would be more based toward other aircraft and be mounted as gerrymad mentioned- my opinion. Just a point in semantic as both methods achieve the same thing. Ideally the green/red not only shows which side of the craft is facing you but a more accurate sense of direction. Tho this latter point is my view. Not wishing to argue rather fine tune the point. I do see JMagus doesn't have the colors needed to accomplish this.

Not sure I understand the "traditional" remark only to have you then compare a land based vehicle. Traditional would be more based toward other aircraft and be mounted as gerrymad mentioned- my opinion. Just a point in semantic as both methods achieve the same thing. Ideally the green/red not only shows which side of the craft is facing you but a more accurate sense of direction. Tho this latter point is my view. Not wishing to argue rather fine tune the point. I do see JMagus doesn't have the colors needed to accomplish this.
Thanks for your comments. I'm really looking for max visibility so my eyes can pick my drone up easier. (I'm old. lol) I was just concerned there may be a legal reason to put certain color strobes in certain configurations.

Reactions: jag32266
I'm old as well and dissappoiinted with the strobes I got. I was expecting them to really help in telling direction should I lose the sense of the flight,.. I mean three miles! That's farther than I ever will fly. Yet, on a cloudy day the craft gets 1200ft and I can't see the lights?!? And on a cloudy, it's going to rain today, type of day and still can't see. I put this off to the lights are on the top of the craft and maybe that's why. But, this time around (I come from Yuneec crafts as well) I made a point to keep them visible from the ground since they are more for me. Same issue- not too far from me and I ca't see them. At least I have them on and any low flying helo's can see,..

I'm old as well and dissappoiinted with the strobes I got. I was expecting them to really help in telling direction should I lose the sense of the flight,.. I mean three miles! That's farther than I ever will fly. Yet, on a cloudy day the craft gets 1200ft and I can't see the lights?!? And on a cloudy, it's going to rain today, type of day and still can't see. I put this off to the lights are on the top of the craft and maybe that's why. But, this time around (I come from Yuneec crafts as well) I made a point to keep them visible from the ground since they are more for me. Same issue- not too far from me and I ca't see them. At least I have them on and any low flying helo's can see,..
Well, I guess I'll see what happens when I take it out next time. I put a yellow skin on it and that helped me find it but it's still not the sole answer. I went with white and red strobes because those are the first and second colors that are supposed to be easiest to see, in order. There are 3 settings for them - blinking, strobe, and solid. I'll experiment and see which is better for overall visibility.

Reactions: Phxbari
Well, I guess I'll see what happens when I take it out next time. I put a yellow skin on it and that helped me find it but it's still not the sole answer. I went with white and red strobes because those are the first and second colors that are supposed to be easiest to see, in order. There are 3 settings for them - blinking, strobe, and solid. I'll experiment and see which is better for overall visibility.
I look forward to your impressions. While the Red/Green make a lot of sense, between non- availability of the green and reduced visibility, I'm also inclined to go red/white, and for the same purpose; LOS visibility.

I look forward to your impressions. While the Red/Green make a lot of sense, between non- availability of the green and reduced visibility, I'm also inclined to go red/white, and for the same purpose; LOS visibility.

Green is available here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JSMG2G/

I had no trouble seeing the green or the red on my air. These flash very brightly.

Reactions: msinger
I have one white on the back between the arms, then two reds on the left (port) and 2 green on the right,

The FAA requires this configuration. white in the back, red port, green white.

I have one white on the back between the arms, then two reds on the left (port) and 2 green on the right,

The FAA requires this configuration. white in the back, red port, green white.

I use the white one as well. I am not sure how the FAA rules factor into all this. The Spark has red in front and green in back, and the Air has red in front. Perhaps those built in lights don't count because they are not visible from 3 miles so they are not official lights?

I'm traveling in Tucson area and flew my MP for the first time with the new lights on it. Those lights make it VERY easy to track the drone. I highly recommend them if you want more visibility.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS