DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro to Mavic 3 sadness

With the Mavic pro it was amazing. Fliming my sons rugby games. You could hear everything but the drone. The audio is being recorded where you are.

Same with get togethers and just fliming a mountain. You hear the wind, the river that your over. The waves.

I guess I don't understand why people are ok with drone videos that have no sound. You just add some music to it.....your missing the other part of what is going on around you. Sound!
I would think the main reason for no sound is the inability of adding it to the video. Post production can be difficult for many.

Reactions: Norval and tiparoch
You could always trade it in for the new Mini 3 Pro which offers this option on iOS in the Fly app as a setting. It asked me for permission to access the iPhone microphone during recordings for this very purpose. Live audio from the pilot's iPhone microphone is recorded into the drone video.
Or…. Get a nicely priced M2P. If It ain’t broken… not as impressed with the rest. 🤷🏻

Reactions: tiparoch
Can someone with a Mavic pro chime in here please
Nope. People “moved up”. I’ve said in the past, something I feel that DJI does that suits my wants and needs then I’ll “move up”. But I’d never sell my M2P it was pretty radical when released and to me, still is. Oh, talk up the M2P on the forum and “somebody” on the forum will most likely, shoot her down. LMAO

Ummm...
First, the high quality video file is being captured and stored INSIDE the drone itself on the microSD card... Therefore any audio would require on-board microphones to capture sound on the drone itself... As others have said it would just capture the propeller sound.

In parallel the drone is sending low quality video down to the controller device (phone or tablet)... Yes the sounds from the ground can then be recorded using any audio app on the phone...But the native controller apps on the market (DJI, Litchi, DroneLink, etc) don't capture the pilots audio....to the best of my knowledge.

So if you want to overlay your ground audio with your flight video, just use any audio capture app on the phone... You will have to synchronize that audio track with the video in post-processing video editing software which is also pretty easy... I really like DaVinci Resolve or Pinnacle Studio.

I always run an aux camera to give me an alternate view and sound . It is easy to sync and edit in Premiere Elements. This is why I started making all the custom mounts I sell on ebay for the past 5 years (I use them). Any camera from RunCam , GoPro , Insta and DJI Action work great for this.

When people pay for a Mavic 3, it's usually because they want or need the improved quality that the 4/3 sensor provides.
Your complaint is that you want lower quality video?
Umm no. That was not the point at all. Not sure how you think that based on the conversation.
But thank you for your input.

Reactions: Norval
I always run an aux camera to give me an alternate view and sound . It is easy to sync and edit in Premiere Elements. This is why I started making all the custom mounts I sell on ebay for the past 5 years (I use them). Any camera from RunCam , GoPro , Insta and DJI Action work great for this.
Thank you. I will check that out.

Ummm...
First, the high quality video file is being captured and stored INSIDE the drone itself on the microSD card... Therefore any audio would require on-board microphones to capture sound on the drone itself... As others have said it would just capture the propeller sound.

In parallel the drone is sending low quality video down to the controller device (phone or tablet)... Yes the sounds from the ground can then be recorded using any audio app on the phone...But the native controller apps on the market (DJI, Litchi, DroneLink, etc) don't capture the pilots audio....to the best of my knowledge.

So if you want to overlay your ground audio with your flight video, just use any audio capture app on the phone... You will have to synchronize that audio track with the video in post-processing video editing software which is also pretty easy... I really like DaVinci Resolve or Pinnacle Studio.
Ok, thank you

I'm sure Mavic Air 2, Mini 1, Mini 2, Air 2S don't record audio either. The Mini 3 IOS thing I can't comment on. But if you were playing video back with audio NOT from the SD Card, that's what cached video is. The cached video may have been acceptable for your use case, absolutely. But as mentioned people buy Mavic 3 for stunning video quality. It would be good to have audio capture, and RC Pro could potentially sync it when you download the video from the SD Card, but I doubt DJI would do it unless there was a lot or requests for that. There are toy drones on Amazon that do this. Mavic 3 is for prosumer, semi-pro and professional video editing.
Yes, thank you.

Yeah l totally hear you and can really understand your profound frustration, especially after shelling out so much. l disagree with a previous caller about it being a 'niche use case'. For those that want to throw up a quick video...Fer Sure!!! Yeah I know that are lots of ways to do this and that...but to simply put up a vid... Yeah. For the record I dont use this sound with my stuff -- I just use the sd video. BUT ...why take it away? I happened to notice that the MP3 RC records sound... Kind of a nice surprise... so as someone else mentioned maybe trade your M3 in for a MiniPro 3.... It is fab. I have a MP2 and a Mini P3 ..great combo.
Thank you. Looking into this now.

to me, there's a simple way to do this:

record the video to the video card at the same time you use XRecorder to record the telemetry, AND your audio narration.

then use AVIDemux to strip the audio from the XRecorder video, and add it to the flight video off the video card. That way you get the highest quality video plus the audio narration. AVIDemux is a simple program and once you learn the easy steps this entire process would take less than a minute

to me, there's a simple way to do this:

record the video to the video card at the same time you use XRecorder to record the telemetry, AND your audio narration.

then use AVIDemux to strip the audio from the XRecorder video, and add it to the flight video off the video card. That way you get the highest quality video plus the audio narration. AVIDemux is a simple program and once you learn the easy steps this entire process would take less than a minute
Awesome. I will try that. Thank you for the help.

I have a Mavic Pro still and just tried this yesterday.

You can view the cached video with audio from the DJI Go 4 app on the iPhone or iPad. The video with sound is played from the app. When you are in the app you have to go to editor and then to videos and the click on the video you want to play. The sounds that are on the video and recorded from the device you are using, in my case the ipad, and you can hear all the sounds around that. There are no sounds recorded from the drone. In listening to the video i can here the fan from the controller being recorded and any background noise around me. I hope this helps others understand what you are saying.

Reactions: Droniac
I guess I understand why YOU wanted this feature but I never even thought about using this with my mavic pro years ago or with my mavic 3 now. Who wants to hear my heavy breathing and the cussing under my breath while I fly this thing out into the distance..?
Post processing is the far superior route.

I just dont understand why DJI would change this. It would download directly to your phone with audio as your filming. It wasn't 4k but you could always get the 4k version off the SD card later. But this gave you an amazing video with sound you could show 1 min after you got done with your flight. Cast to your tv, and people could believe the quality. It was very close to 4k.
How sad this is. Now you have 20 extra steps and have to show people the drone video with sound some other day because you have to merge a sound file that was merged for you.

The Mavic Pro was the very first of a long line of drones and times have changed. DJI have introduced so many models since then that target different consumer groups. My guess is that you do not really need a Mavic 3; an Air2S or a Mini 3 Pro would better fit your requirements and usage.
Having the drone record audio is a rare usage case and if anyone spending the amount of money Mavic 3 requires needed that, then he would most probably prefer to also purchase separate audio recording equipment that would certainly produce better results anyway.
This trend is not anything new either, I had the Mavic 2 Pro before the Mavic 3 and I do not remember it having such an option. I also do not remember anyone else requesting this feature, so it would be logical that DJI would not be interested in implementing it.
In addition to all of this, I'm not sure whether recording audio could also tread into legal territory, same as for recording images of people/bystanders unaware of this. There are rules and regulations about these matters, however, they vary depending on the country.

Had a mavic pro. It recorded to my phone that was connected to my controller with audio from were I was.

Mavic 3 can't recorded anywhere but to its self or SD. Not back to my phone with audio.

For the love of pete...please tell me that I am wrong. Please tell me to make quick drone videos with sound dosnt take recording auto then using software to put on the video.
Please tell me I didn't waste $2200.
Welcome to my same nightmare !😢. Can’t believe they took out the audio, should I have known, would never bought the Mavic 3….

Awesome. I will try that. Thank you for the help.
AVIDemux is a pretty straightforward app. but there is still a little bit of a learning curve

since I suggested it, I'll point out the steps:

* when you open it the first time you'll get a screen that is set to copy both video and audio. I'd suggest you get in the habit of setting the output format from MKV Muxer to MP4 Muxer (although that isn't necessary for stripping audio but since drone footage is mostly MP4...)

* next, open your XRecorder video. On top menu, go to audio, click and simply save audio. On my machine it saves as an .aac audio file

* now, open your flight video from your video card (or wherever you transferred it to). Make sure you're still on 'copy' for both the video and audio and using the MP4 muxer. Go back to the audio, click it again and this time, go to 'select track'. If it opens and says there's a track one, with a check mark, you can uncheck that track, select track 2, check it, and then you can slide over and add your XRecorder audio file. Then save. Saving only takes a few seconds. Easy Peasy

* you might have a differential in time between the Flight video and the XRecorder video, so if you require perfect sync between audio and video you'll need to chop a few seconds off of whichever recording you started first on your flight. Usually when I record both there is only a 3 or 4 second difference, at most, in start time and end time

* this is also an easy way to add a music track to your video's

When people pay for a Mavic 3, it's usually because they want or need the improved quality that the 4/3 sensor provides.
Your complaint is that you want lower quality video?
You know that is not what OP wants. Why be obtuse and antagonistic?

He/she wants at least the same features as there used to be.

Of course we all expect better quality for a newer and more expensive drone than its predecessors.

What isn’t expected/wanted is less features.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000