DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro to Platinum ESC?

The key difference between MPP and MP is how the motors are driven: pulse width vs sine wave power modulation.
So I am pretty much correct. You'd be replacing quite a bit more than the ESC itself by replacing the board containing the ESC. FC is a significant component. Power board seems to be a strange name for that.
So you are now saying @djidroneservice who was kind enough to offer us clarification, that is Both ESC and main board are compatible between Pro and platinum is mistaken?

I suspect you have your terminology wrong however if we take it that you mean square wave vs sinusoidal where you say pulse width and sine wave. There might have been some improvement in the platinum propulsion system, it won’t be square wave vs sinusoidal though. DJI has been using sinusoidal drive since the Phantom 3 where they first implement the Texas Instruments sensorless FOC theee phase motor driver SOC. Looking at the Pro and platinum board (photos) it is unclear what SOC is employed however the power mosfet layout does strongly suggest the half wave inverter output stage is substantially similar. So what?

Who called the FC a power board?

According to the experts who repair these things your assumptions were, and seemingly remain, pretty much incorrect.

Thanks people! Good experiences!
Appreciate the discussion.
Yeah, I was just wondering if for example you were to cannibalise a few drone parts, if you could ‘upgrade’ a MP, or use it’s parts on a MPP. Seems likely you can then (obviously all 4 motors at one time!). Cheers Dave

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Can you put a Platinum ESC into the Mavic Pro? Will it just drop in, update firmware? Or how could you do it?
Cheers, Dave

Hi, just read the post. I have effectively used an ESC board from a MP in a MPP. Had to cannibalize a MP for parts and used the ESC to get the MPP flying.

The A1 board however is another story. I do not know if the A1 board (the bottom one) is compatible with the MPP. I will most likely try.

E

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Hi, just read the post. I have effectively used an ESC board from a MP in a MPP. Had to cannibalize a MP for parts and used the ESC to get the MPP flying.

The A1 board however is another story. I do not know if the A1 board (the bottom one) is compatible with the MPP. I will most likely try.

E
Yes it is. I did it.

Reactions: kidroc
After reading the the pages, I felt i had some questions still that need clarification.
Fact: Mavic Pro has a stated run time of 27 flight minutes and Mavic Pro Platinum has a stated run time of30 flight minutes and runs quieter by a certain degree due to not only the props but also other changes in the MPP, i.e. ESC.
The MP and the MPP run slightly different ESC and that it is recognized by the firmware in versions that was designed to support them. That is why i read some older firmware can't be used with the MPP as the firmware wasn't written for the MPP in the older versions. I.e. some might brick the MPP flashing older firmware to it.

Theory: One could take advantage of the upgrades in a MPP, like longer flight time and lower noise in an older model such as the mavic pro or the mavic pro alpine white which both run louder and only can last 27 minutes.

Questions: 1. Can you just use only the MPP ESC board in the regular Mavic pro and that would be enough for the aircraft and remote controller to register it as a Mavic Pro Platinum? or does it need other components in order for the aircraft to run the proper firmware that uses the ESC properly. I suspect that, just using the MPP ESC board only doesn't allow the aircraft/remote controller/go4 app/assistant register it as a MPP and therefore wouldn't allow it to be properly adjusted to use the ESC well.

Question: 2. If question one is false, and it does require other components from the donor MPP, what are the components that are needed in order for the MP to run as MPP for its benefits. Mainly the flight time and the noise.
I assume besides the ESC board, perhaps the main board(board with the ultrasonic sensors) is needed since I assume that is where the firmware and the device identification is stored. And i'm not sure if the MPP motors attribute to the flight time and noise difference or the the motors are exactly the same as the MP ones.

Question 3: If the mainboard or other components are needed, for example, the MPP mainboard, are there ways to modified the MP mainboard in order the get the results of a MPP mainboard or get the MP mainboard to work with the MPP ESC board to use its flight time and noise benefits?

I know this is an old post now and the last reply was almost 6 months ago now but thought I would help anyone else that may be thinking about switching esc's for the platinum esc.

My original Mavic randomly lost control and dropped fromt the sky into a tree and then into a concrete driveway breaking an arm off and some props and causing the esc not to work correctly by only powering 3 of the motors.
I replaced the broken leg thats when I discovered the esc wasnt functioning correctly. I placed an order for a platinum ESC even though I read conflicting aruments on if the Platinum ESC will work in the original mavic pro. Once i received it I examined both and there are som visual differences comparing them to each other so I know the ebay seller didnt sell me an original mavic pro esc and falsely claim it as a platinum ESC. So I desoldered all the connections and removed the origanal esc and soldered back in the new platinum esc and it worked fine. Have had no issues at all with the Platinum ESC in the original mavic. I havnt tested run time to see how long exactly it can fly with the platinum ESC but from my flight log it appears I am getting around 2-3 minutes more flight time running in p mode and a combination of short distances of sport mode and p mode. The dji Go 4 app recognized the mavic pro as a different Mavic pro some how though showing 2 mavic pro's onmy list of devices in flight log but didn't recognize it a a platinum version. As for sound it's hard to say if its any quieter even with the low noise props, if it is it is very minor diffrence.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11