DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro video aspect ratio

jimmylee

Reactions
hi guys,

can i know what is the standard aspect ration for mavic videos? is it 16:9 or 4:3 ? or can it be changed?

because i am trying to combine videos from my go pro and magic and realised that the boxed don't match up?

what is your preferred aspect ratio on the Mavic and why?

Jimmy

16:9 seems to be the most popular lately and the one YouTube supports for playback. Others can correct me if I'm wrong here.

The second setting down is the one to use at 4K.
You are right it isn't exactly the same as gopro but nearest there is to 16:9
Thanks!

Is there a 4:3 setting? Because I was hoping to combine it with my gopro footage for a travel video. It will look awkward to have the aspect ratio changing throughout the film.

Thanks!

Is there a 4:3 setting? Because I was hoping to combine it with my gopro footage for a travel video. It will look awkward to have the aspect ratio changing throughout the film.
Why would you record almost square 4:3 on the GoPro, even if you are planning to show it on an old 4:3 screen everything else is 16:9 or wider now.

Why would you record almost square 4:3 on the GoPro, even if you are planning to show it on an old 4:3 screen everything else is 16:9 or wider now.
Not that I prefer 4:3....but I thought since the 16:9 is different on mavic and gopro, I thought if 4:3 is same for both, it's a lot easier to combine them on premier pro.

Just a newbie thought

Just crop one to match the other. It took me a moment to realise they were different the first time, but it is very simple to sort them.

"Why would you record almost square 4:3 "

Because later we can crop the needed 16:9 part in post.. That's cool feature.
Why mavic cannot enable to shoot 4:3 videos just like ALL gopros?

My geuss would be it was easier to let folks crop the vid in post to the 4/3 if they wanted to, rather than do the coding and run the risk of messing something else up....

what? the already cropped 16:9 cropped to 4:3 is way smaller fov than the original 4:3 :)

Then you can re-size the go pro 4/3 to 16/9 with a video converter to match the Mavic...
It's not going to be seemless. You will/may also see the barrel distortion from the GP...

but thats not the question.
i like to see 4:3 recording on the mavic...

but i don't want to use 4:3 as end result, i like crop to 16:9 freely in post.
thats an advantage, which mavic doesnt have only for photos.

So, if I have this correct, you want to shoot both platforms (Mav and GP) in 4/3, then in post, resize both to 16/9?

OK, now I comprehend...
Well, right now, I think your stillstuck with doing a crop op in post, either way.
I don't see dji tossing in another variable in their coding for that in the near future, easier to crop in post.
Cost to benefit ratio. For them, not us...

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paquo