DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC PRO VIDEO POOR

DPI

Reactions
Hi, Got my MAVIC PRO up and running, zooming around.

But the video is really bad, like poor satellite reception, blocky, stop and start, sometimes color, sometime B&W
Pretty much unviewable over all.

Not what I had expected. I using a Samsung TAB4 as the smart device.

Is it a drone problem of smart device problem?

Any ideas anyone!

Is the bad video what you are seeing on your Tab4 or what you get off the SD card?

It looks like it's just what I am getting on the tab4. I did not record anything on the SD card except three photos, they all looked good. I will try to record on the SD card tomorrow and see how that goes, maybe I just need a better tablet.

OK, tried the record to the drone SD card, Video OK so It's definitely the TAB4 smart device, so looks like a better tablet needed. Any recommendations?

Try:
• Turn off all other apps
• Turn on airplane mode
• Connect to RC via center USB port using your TAB4 data cable or try a different USB cable (make sure the short DJI cable is unplugged from the side RC port)
• Turn off caching to the TAB4 or cache to SD card
• Optimize the TAB4 system. There should be an app in Systems to clean up unwanted apps and temp files.

If the above doesn't fix it:
• See if there is a Go 4 update or if on latest try downgrading to an earlier version
• Get a DJI approved tablet

I am using an underpowered Tab A that works well. I had one instance where a background update of Go 4 installed a version that gave me the video display you describe. I downgraded Go 4 which fixed it. Then I turned off auto updates and fly as described above and have not had a problem since.

I do not have a replacement recommendation because I have no personal experience with other makes. There are other threads that deal extensively with displays. iProducts seem to have the least problems due to Apple having a lock on the OS but their displays don't do as well as others in the sun. Hopefully some iUsers will chime in here.

So try the fixes above before investing in another tablet. It won't cost anything but your time.

Thanks for all that, I'll get on it tomorrow.
I downloaded the DJI Go 4 app yesterday, the cable is the one that came with the Mavic Pro, but I have another on order anyway. It was connected via the main RC USB port, the small side cable was not present. I updated the firmware yesterday as part of the initial startup/configuration

... the cable is the one that came with the Mavic Pro, but I have another on order anyway. It was connected via the main RC USB port, the small side cable was not present. I updated the firmware yesterday as part of the initial startup/configuration
Try the USB cable that came with your tablet. Once you get a setup that works, do not update firmware/software unless it has a feature that you want to use.

It looks like it's just what I am getting on the tab4. I did not record anything on the SD card except three photos, they all looked good. I will try to record on the SD card tomorrow and see how that goes, maybe I just need a better tablet.

What you are complaining about is a live video feed from the drone camera to the controller. This video feed is susceptible to interference. This could be from normal interference, distance and a high rate of interference or a combination of all of these things. Most likely it is not the display device itself.

The Air uses boosted wifi for the signal so any wifi in your area can be an issue. You may even want to put the device into Airplane mode.

What you are complaining about is a live video feed from the drone camera to the controller. This video feed is susceptible to interference. This could be from normal interference, distance and a high rate of interference or a combination of all of these things. Most likely it is not the display device itself.

The Air uses boosted wifi for the signal so any wifi in your area can be an issue. You may even want to put the device into Airplane mode.
In my case, a Go 4 update caused a similar problem and downgrading fixed it. When the video display is heavily pixillated within feet of the RC, the problem is not likely to be interference. It is a high probability that the problem is in how the display device is configured (software, available memory, CPU cycles, etc). The OP's problem is with his Pro, not an Air.

Tried the Samsung cable, really high quality, still the same problem, but the WiFi issue may well be the answer as around the house there are several APs.

I will take it off to the park later today and try it there, not much in the way of WiFi out there.

The latest GO4 version is the problem. Many people including myself are suffering from exactly the same problems since they updated 3 weeks ago. And we have seen these problems before with some older updates.
I expect a new update with fixes to be up for download within a few days.

Thanks for that, Well at least I can spend the time practicing, trying not to bump into things. My cat finds it entirely fascinating and runs up and down chasing it.

Well went out and tried it, problem remains, but seems isolated to the smartdevice (Samsung TAB 4) the onboard recording is excellent, my skills, not so much. Checked the tablet and correct android version etc and 1.56gb space available. Basically I have tried to bare bones the tablet as much as possible, but you can only go so far. I think the WiFi issue has been removed from the equation though. So it seems I just have to wait until the next DJI GO 4 version comes out, currently running 4.2.20. But still fun. Although for some reason the Gimbal head seems to suddenly point directly downwards for no reason during flight. I have to re-adjust the head from the RC. Whats that all about

Well went out and tried it, problem remains, but seems isolated to the smartdevice (Samsung TAB 4) the onboard recording is excellent, my skills, not so much. Checked the tablet and correct android version etc and 1.56gb space available. Basically I have tried to bare bones the tablet as much as possible, but you can only go so far. I think the WiFi issue has been removed from the equation though. So it seems I just have to wait until the next DJI GO 4 version comes out, currently running 4.2.20. But still fun. Although for some reason the Gimbal head seems to suddenly point directly downwards for no reason during flight. I have to re-adjust the head from the RC. Whats that all about
you can fix this problem in ten mins. Uninstall the go4 app, and reinstall the previous, .16 version.
DJI GO 4--For drones since P4 4.2.16 APK Download by DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD - APKMirror

Thanks for the tip. Tried that. Didn't make any difference. The video is not being seen contiguously, what is displayed is fractured and just like a satellite channel in bad weather. I have tried Clearing down the tablet to free memory, three different connecting cables, two different versions of the app' near WiFi and and away from WiFi; the only consistent condition I cannot change is that the weather has been very hot here.
The upshot is I cannot get a viable video feed on the tablet. It seems that this not the drone as it responds and records without any problem. But simply the feed to the tablet.

Any other ideas I can try, or am I looking at getting a new tablet? I have an Ipad2 but I understand the app does not work with that.

So after trying everything with the TAB 4 including a factory reset without any change. I have finally bit the bullet and bought an IPAD MINI 4, waiting for it to arrive.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Well after all that I bought an IPAD Mini 4. Now I cannot get the DJI GO 4 app to download. You can't make this sort of stuff up, really!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato