DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs Mavic Air

Akoztha

Reactions
708f5d8893e42f6e04be838081a1a93e.jpg

Hello!! That used to be my Mavic [emoji17]
Had big time issues with the camera, I so ended up with a refund from Amazon.
Now I'm trying to decide if I should get another Mavic Pro or go for the Mavic Air.
I'm a newbie, so my judgment might be too obtuse, therefore I greatly appreciate all points of view!!!
Thanks [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41]

Reactions: Iamaruffneck
IMO get another Mavic Pro. Yes, I did order a Mavic Air, but I've own my Mavic Pro since October 2016 and that thing is totally "bullet proof"

First of all I am still very happy to have a Mavic Pro (my first drone). Love it! Just pre-ordered the Onyx black Mavic Air FMC just because it has an even smaller frame than the Mavic Pro (backpacking and kayaking), better camera, rear sensors and all the bells of whistles of the Pro. Shorter flight time and distance yes, but that is not an issue for what I want to achieve with my drone. So my advice to you is, ask yourself if flight time is important to you and if you need to go further that 4km?...go for the Mavic Pro otherwise why not the Air?

First of all I am still very happy to have a Mavic Pro (my first drone). Love it! Just pre-ordered the Onyx black Mavic Air FMC just because it has an even smaller frame than the Mavic Pro (backpacking and kayaking), better camera, rear sensors and all the bells of whistles of the Pro. Shorter flight time and distance yes, but that is not an issue for what I want to achieve with my drone. So my advice to you is, ask yourself if flight time is important to you and if you need to go further that 4km?...go for the Mavic Pro otherwise why not the Air?
Thanks for replying. I do think on losing distance and fliyng time; since I'm just starting, my objectives are not that precise, so practice is what I need.
And I do need time for that.

Reactions: Garuda
Thanks for replying. I do think on losing distance and fliyng time; since I'm just starting, my objectives are not that precise, so practice is what I need.
And I do need time for that.
As I mentioned I am a beginner to, and I thought as you did about batterylife (have 4 batteries for my Mavic Pro). But to this day I feel that for what I need a drone for (get some cool shots while doing activites) I have never needed that much flight time..ever. Ive been out kayaking for 4 days and got alot of great material while just only used 2,5 batteries. Only you can decide if you need it or not. :)

Reactions: Akoztha
My thoughts.

I've owned a Mavic Pro for some time and I have absolutely loved it but....

I hate the gimbal, it always seems an "oops" away from it breaking from the aircraft. I don't know if your problems relate to the gimbal but I think most MP owners would agree that the MP gimbal is a weak point.

I am very active. Lot's of biking, kayaking, etc. and I have kids. Carrying something nearly half the size means I get to take it more places.

Distance. I used to go long distances to "see what she'll do" but I generally found that it caused me anxiety and the closer shots I like just can't be done from afar. 1-2 miles will be more than enough.

Mavic Air brings no downside camera wise and in some regards, upsides.

APAS / Obstacle avoidance seals the deal for me.

When MB Pro II comes out, I'll look at it too and see about selling the Air but if it retains the size and the primary difference is a 1 inch cmos (nice but I"m no pro - my current MP video has been stunning to my eyes), I'll probably be happy I went for the Air and stick with it till the next iteration of the Air.

Either way you won't go wrong.

If you want the smart choice, it is to wait. If you ask me the smart money is on waiting for the second version of the pro to come out. So that means cheaper v1 or superior v2

If you want the smart choice, it is to wait. If you ask me the smart money is on waiting for the second version of the pro to come out. So that means cheaper v1 or superior v2

I assume this is coming from a guy that already has a drone. Waiting for the next best thing for your first drone seems a waste of precious time. I will add that it would require more self-control than I have.

I assume this is coming from a guy that already has a drone. Waiting for the next best thing for your first drone seems a waste of precious time.
No it is not. First off, it's looking very likely that the next generation is going to make an appearance in the near future. That means the original Mavic will go down in price. That patience means saved money. Or from a different angle, you buy an MP, and next month the MP2 comes out. You just spent $1000 on something obsolete when you could have waited to get something better for the same money. It makes no sense to spend money on something that is very well likely going to be discontinued soon. I waited for the CS UB model and never owned a CS, and I found it to be worth the wait.

I guess if you know when the MP2 is coming out and it is worth the extra money, you're right. But I can't imagine having missed out on any season since purchasing my MP because I delayed waiting for the next thing.

I guess if you know when the MP2 is coming out and it is worth the extra money, you're right. But I can't imagine having missed out on any season since purchasing my MP because I delayed waiting for the next thing.
Supposedly the next gen Mavic is out beta testing, so if that's true, maybe an announcement will be made in a month or two.

708f5d8893e42f6e04be838081a1a93e.jpg

Hello!! That used to be my Mavic [emoji17]
Had big time issues with the camera, I so ended up with a refund from Amazon.
Now I'm trying to decide if I should get another Mavic Pro or go for the Mavic Air.
I'm a newbie, so my judgment might be too obtuse, therefore I greatly appreciate all points of view!!!
Thanks [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41]

Please see my detailed comparison on the General Discussion page.

Order a new mavic pro. Air is nice and cool but don't change ocsync transmission to wifi like spark. Wifi is ok in deserted place but in a city where is a lot of wifi interferences ocusync rules. Believe me.

Wifi is ok in deserted place but in a city where is a lot of wifi interferences ocusync rules. Believe me.

Since distance on MA is 2x Spark, probably safe to assume systems on MA and Spark are different and will not necessarily suffer from same problems. It is especially confusing when you consider OcuSync operates on same frequency as “wi-if”.

All of this is confusing to me. Should know more next week about reliability so probably best to wait for input from forum members. I’ll surely add my two cents after unpackaging and battery charge. I certainly won’t be selling my MP until this question, and others, are answered. It doesn’t need to go as far as MP but connection must be reliable within 1.5 to 2 miles to avoid return.

It’s supposed to be 4 Kilometer but it’s nearly half of that distance.

Mavic pro/platinum OcuSync and WiFi like spark and Mavic air, are similar WiFi technology but in different protocols. That’s why OcuSync is superior to classical spark/air WiFi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigtrout
Both drones are amazing. They are portable and easy to carry. I'll write about their advantages as well - First of all, Mavic Air has higher bitrate of 100Mbps vs Mavic Pro's 60Mbps, which is why Mavic Air is collecting all the data faster. One of Mavic Pro's big advantages is the controller, because it has Built-In LCD Screen which gives the user more satisfying flight experience. Speaking flight experience Mavic Air is more advanced, because it operates on FlightAutonomy 2.0 and has the APAS (Advanced Pilot Assistance System) - combining it with the 3 directional obstacle sensing makes Mavic Air better pilot than Mavic Pro. As for camera capabilities both of them have 3 Axis Gimbal and Mavic Pro is also able to shoot at 4096×2160 24p, unlike Mavic Air. Mavic Pro also has the bigger flight-time and 3 directional obstacle sensing system comparing with Mavic Pro's 2 directional OSS. In DJI Mavic Air vs Mavic Pro comparison I'd say Mavic Air comes out on top.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan