DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro with platinum propellers

Johnyhamence

Reactions
Just got the platinum propellers for my normal Mavic, I think it made it slower and less agressive in sport mode.

It takes longer to deliver power and the top speed is a bit less then with orginial propellers.

Anyone had the same result ?

Tks

Reactions: KiterTodd
yes I had the same results with mine. I use original props when its windy otherwise I use the platinum ones till they break. Never buy them again.

Money thrown away
There are about 300 threads here discussing these props and their various characteristics. You could have read any one of them before buying and known everything you needed to know.

That said, it's not "money thrown away." They still work perfectly fine, unless you're trying to win a race or something. And the Mavic isn't a racing drone. The speed difference is marginal, and there are some times you may want the quieter props.

Agree and quit trying to stop all those threads Mr S. I still use mine and are just fine .
I change mine out at times but it's just what you like .

I tried the platinum ones today and my Mavic actually seemed faster. didn't try the sports mode thought. it definitely ascended much faster, and horizontal movements seemed faster to. i'll try to experiment with them a bit more next time to get accurate results. I'll record the speed at full throttle with both, and post up. I don't much care for the low noise, I actually like hearing my mavic before I see it, gives me a piece of mind that it's somewhere near and I can usually find it visually by hearing where the sound is coming from.

They are wider, longer, and have more of a curve to them, so one would think they create more pressure by pushing more air from underneath them. I hear they give you 2-3 minutes more flying, and that can make or break your Mavic if you're returning on low battery. I'll look for these other posts.

Reactions: Johnyhamence
Well reading all them will keep ya busy for a day :)

I really like my Platinum props. In my case the bird is noticeably quieter during flight and that is worth it for me. I prefer to be as stealthy as possible.

However, that is good intel that people find them less responsive in weather. I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks and will throw my original props in the bag to have as well. I'll be in an area where noise is not a concern, but power is. (I haven't noticed an issue, but it does make sense that a stiffer prop would have better "grip" when making rapid adjustments)

Happy with my Platinum props and will buy another set if/when these fail on me.

I rececently bought the platinum props. Had delayed due to mixed reviews but wanted to try myself.

I'm pleased with them - on a quick hover test I didnt notice the sound difference but during the few flights since I like the sound being more of a 'hum' and less noticeable / annoying.

Only performance test I have done was to do a straight flight on Sport during a windlass day which reached 40mph which I think was always the quoted top speed.

Recently got a set also, and they do exactly what I expected them to do. A noticeable decrease in sound, and just a bit less responsive than the pro props. I’m happy with the purchase

I just purchased a set of the white ones, I'll let you know when I get them in and how well they work. I'd also like to know if perhaps you have purchased them and how well they work for you.

I just got them today. Both look beautiful and seems quite sturdy.
Tomorrow will test them out :):) will post an update.

The white would go nicely with my Alpine White MP. But I won't dare use non-DJI ones.
You need at least 10 flights to know if those props will stand the test of time.

I might be willing to try these, they seem quite well made by all accounts. Drone World

the problem is the price compared to stock props, and even then the advertising is pushing the limits of my BS test - they're both stiffer than stock, but retain flex for safety?

props are realistically only likely to be damaged by hitting something with them, and if I do that they're getting replaced, end of story - and I'd rather replace stock props then worry about not doing so with these for the price. it's too expensive an aircraft to fret over a few dollars on props.

Recently got a set also, and they do exactly what I expected them to do. A noticeable decrease in sound, and just a bit less responsive than the pro props. I’m happy with the purchase

the problem with the "decrease in sound" issue is that as a rule of thumb, you need -10dB change to perceive the noise as half as loud. as a telecommunications engineer, 10dB is a massive step.

noise also radiates in three dimensions, so it is subject to the square-cube law. that means that doubling the distance cuts the apparent noise by 6dB.

in this video, the results were:

standard props
84dB at 2ft and 58dB at 30ft distance.

platinum props
79dB at 2ft and 55dB at 30ft distance.

that's not bad at all actually, but then you do have to bear in mind that the standard props have already dropped to platinum noise levels by moving from 2ft to 4ft (i.e. not a real world operating distance), and 55dB is about the amplitude of elevator music. that's going to all but imperceptible outside, and even then you need to be 10 yards away for that to occur.

I also know a bit about aerodynamics, and the decreased response of the swept tip props doesn't surprise me at all. there is rarely anything free in physics (if so, you just weren't using it in the first place), energy doesn't just go away, and less noise means less air moved at the squared tip of the regular props - right where they are most efficient.

so ultimately if you want to use the platinum props by all means do so, but I can't see how they represent a real-world improvement over the standard ones if you already have a few sets.

Reactions: th_wolf
My experience with the platinum props has been twofold; when I first installed them on my MavPro, they resulted in a terrible gimbal shake that I was never to get rid of anymore. It spoilt a couple of photography and filming sessions. Had my bird replaced under warranty.
Then I never dared to install them on my new MavPro, but last weekend I did. It was a completely windless day, and flying with them made the session one of those golden experiences where everything is as you want it to be. The sound changes from "mehhhhh" to a more subdued "zoommmmmmm". The volume might be the same, but it is changed to a frequency that the human ear is less sensitive to.
The changed aerodynamics of the props have a side effect that the Mavic is a little less crisp in flying as well. Therefore, I only use it on low-wind days. The other day I was filming my buddy during high winds (for the mavic) windsurfing at sea, and for that ocassion, I switched back to the normal props.

I would recommend the low noise props like I would recommend filters; they are not really necessary, but they are just another tool in the toolbox to make your day a bit more easy. And since they come at a small cost, there is no real reason not to buy them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929