DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Zoom-Video footage is stilted even when shooting simple forward shots!

Airodrones

Reactions
Hello all. MY first post... I am having issues with sticky, stilted footage within my video footage. I am using 4K with 25fps. I don't seem to be able to get smooth yaw or vertical/horizontal shot of any kind or just a simple moving forward slowly shot!. Even just flying very slowly recording as i fly, shows juddery captured frames. I have the latest firmware and have adjusted the gimbel advanced setting etc.
The footage is an example.
I cannot move forward in my pursuits until I can get this issue sorted...any suggestions out there Thks in advance

D

Deleted member 103366

Is the footage from the phone or the micro SD card in the drone, the former is likely to be a low quality cache version of the latter.
Is the equipment you are using to watch the video capable of playing 4k correctly? Windows 7 on my laptop can not, Windows 10 on the same laptop sometimes can play it but I think 4k is pushing the envelope of what my laptop can play full-stop. I therefore shoot in 1080?
From memory you can adjust the sensitivity of the joystick, I think the setting is called "exp".

slup

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

What's your shutter speed in that clip? If not using a ND filter I can imagine that it's up around 1/800-1/1000sec in that harsh bright light and that makes every single frame in the movie pin sharp which usually means effects like those you describe.

On 25fps you should have a shutter closer to 1/50sec to induce some motion blur ... that will take care of the sticky, juddery look.

Do a test in darker conditions, if that solves it ... you know that you need to make the shutter speed slower with the help of a ND filter.

MS Coast

Reactions
I've seen that stuttering effect when I shot 4k video on an SD card that didn't have adequate write speed.

Are you seeing the problem with 1080 video. If not, that's a clue that the SD card might be to blame.

If you need a faster SD card, I've had good results with the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.

Airodrones

Reactions
Firstly THKS to all that replied with your knowledge and suggestions. Thks!
So I'm flying with a Smart controller and a ND filter with a polarizer. I did not think to fly in 1080 because I thought I would use the best output...so a lesson learned!
I am running window 10 on my PC and have removed the SD card from the drone and played it with the given results.
I bought the SanDisk Extreme 128GB A2 for the drone and the same in a 64GB for the Smart controller. I'm not sure if there is a significant difference in the Pro version???
Now eager to get out there and test your recommendations...

Airodrones

Reactions
So sometime later and lots of testing/reading/viewing on!

The issue of video judder is still unresolved after much experimentation.

Incidentally, turns out my 128GB & 64GB micro-SD cards from Amazon are fake, refund pending!!

• I now have drone tested only recording to Internal hard drive recording in the zoom and smart controller with the same poor results.
  • I’ve tried 1080 and 4K.
  • Firmware updated.
  • Lens has a ND4/ Polarizer filter fitted.
  • Results are the same viewed on windows 10 and mob phone.
  • Gimbal has been adjusted to be less sensitive, but as you can see from a simple backward filming clip, the judder is very apparent.
  • Still shots are perfect.
  • No errors are shown on screen on start-up or in flight when recording.
  • I own this lovely kit and cannot get to the bottom of this issue, despite many viewed YouTube views. Is it time to box her up and let DJI have a look at her? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • DJI Mavic Zoom-HDrive shot 1

DJI Mavic Zoom-HDrive shot 2

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ABin65809