DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic RC height display not going past 1000' feet

You can all rest easy, I live in the boonies, have 74 acres and there is no air traffic around me, I'm a very responsible drone operator.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Maybe you guys could also try flying right next to an airport, then go over and ask air traffic control if they could give you an accurate reading of your altitude from their radar.

LOL, very funny !! Thumbswayup

Maybe you guys could also try flying right next to an airport, then go over and ask air traffic control if they could give you an accurate reading of your altitude from their radar.
Maybe he lives in the mountains like I do. If i take off in my back yard, I have to go over 800 feet up to go any distance because I have a mountain or large hill to either side of me, I am actually less than 100 feet above the trees. But my altitude shows 800-900 feet.
Calm down with the whining.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
As a very new quad owner I am very tempted with height... That is why I am glad there is a setting for height, because I like to follow the rules.

I certainly don't want to be that guy that ruins for the crowd.

That said I hope it is a minor equipment issue because whether one should fly that high or not the machine is built to be able to do it and it would be nice to know that things are working correctly at all extremes of the unit.
There is no rule or law. It is a suggestion for safer flying.

Allow me to explain my logic,

I am a generator technician. I have been for 8 years, the 7 years prior than that I was a heavy equipment mechanic.

In heavy equipment when doing maintenance we would take all controls to their extreme to test them. They are built to do so. Doesn't mean every operator needs full use of it. But if I attempt, lets say to take a 100 foot manlift to it's max but it quits at say 75 feet I may be low on Hydraulic or a limit may be out of adjustment. If I only ever take that lift to the 50 or 60 feet point I may not catch that failure until it has become a bigger problem.

In the generator field most generators are grossly over sized and typically are only used to about 40% of their capacity. At least once a year it is strongly suggested to perform a load bank where we max out the unit to make sure there aren't any problems.

Now, I don't believe in my comment I suggested anything about him testing the limits in any unsafe manner, I merely intended that since he had taken it to it's limit and found a problem he may wish to look deeper to find a cause before what seems to be something minor turns into a risk at lower altitude.

And if you have a performance vehicle and it is built to perform I WOULD suggest you put it to the test but I would suggest doing so at a shop on a dyno.
Geeze. Let it go....

Maybe he lives in the mountains like I do. If i take off in my back yard, I have to go over 800 feet up to go any distance because I have a mountain or large hill to either side of me, I am actually less than 100 feet above the trees. But my altitude shows 800-900 feet.
Calm down with the whining.

There's no stopping to self righteous nannies around here.
That's a fact.

Same with metric units - RC display maxes out at 1000m. A clear bug. Apparently, DJI engineers never went up to 1001ft even though their own limit is 1640ft. :D

Reactions: JMF
When I fly higher than 1000 feet the RC never displays anything higher then 1000, the DJI Go app shows the correct height though ?

Is this normal or is there a setting ?

You can’t see any real aircraft coming at that height.
Don’t be stupid.

You can’t see any real aircraft coming at that height.
Don’t be stupid.

Ummm, If I can still see my drone then I can see aircraft, don't be stupid ?

Last edited:
If you are in the mountains then I understand that.

But if you are flying at 1000 high from where you are standing, that's illegal. It was in the news this week that drones have passed very near airliners. It's only a matter of time until we can't fly anywhere.

If you are in the mountains then I understand that.

But if you are flying at 1000 high from where you are standing, that's illegal. It was in the news this week that drones have passed very near airliners. It's only a matter of time until we can't fly anywhere.
Negative, it is not illegal in the US.

Reactions: PDXteriors
The Special Rule for Model Aircraft (P.L. 112-95, Section 336)
  • the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
You can not even see your drone when it is 1000 feet up let alone get out of the way of an airliner that is likely moving much faster.

• the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
You can not even see your drone when it is 1000 feet up let alone get out of the way of an airliner that is likely moving much faster.

I can see and hear mine at 500m+.

Airliners don't fly everywhere and they're low only near airports. You can use Flightradar24 to find areas 100% void of any airtrafic whatsoever.

Yes, notice the word "Rule". It is not a law, therefore not illegal. Also, manned aircraft cruise at a much higher altitude. Passenger airliners at 40,000 feet or more..
Even if they are flying below the mavics maximum height of 1640 feet, the chances of a manned aircraft and the mavic being at the same height at the same exact position n the sky is absolutely ridiculous. Pretty much near zero. Unless you are flying AT an airport as hundreds of planes are taking off and landing.
So, it's an invalid issue.

I can see mine much farther than 1000 feet up or out. I can see it at 1640 feet up. I do it all the time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom