DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic signal loss at less then 2000 ft away.

LSUMMER

Reactions
I took my Mavic out yesterday and flew it at 150ft AGL and it lost signal at around 1500ft away. This is not the first time this has happened. There where no power lines or anything around that would cause interference.
i was wondering if you guys experience the same problem and if any one knows the fix ?

thanks
lee

Here are some troubleshooting steps to try to figure out what is reducing your range:
  • Enable airplane mode on your mobile device
  • Make sure you don't have any other Wi-Fi/cellular devices near the remote controller
  • Make sure the remote controller antennas are positioned like this
  • Make sure there are no obstacles between the Mavic and remote controller
  • Try flying in a location where you know there are no other nearby Wi-Fi signals (e.g. don't fly in a house neighborhood)

I took my Mavic out yesterday and flew it at 150ft AGL and it lost signal at around 1500ft away. This is not the first time this has happened. There where no power lines or anything around that would cause interference.
i was wondering if you guys experience the same problem and if any one knows the fix ?

thanks
lee
Howdy from Wyoming @LSUMMER , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Here are some troubleshooting steps to try to figure out what is reducing your range:
  • Enable airplane mode on your mobile device
  • Make sure you don't have any other Wi-Fi/cellular devices near the remote controller
  • Make sure the remote controller antennas are positioned like this
  • Make sure there are no obstacles between the Mavic and remote controller
  • Try flying in a location where you know there are no other nearby Wi-Fi signals (e.g. don't fly in a house neighborhood)

Thanks i did not know about airplane mode,, will try that.

Thanks i did not know about airplane mode,, will try that.
FWIW: I have a dedicated phone for flying, that I put on airplane mode. I *also* put my everyday phone, in my pocket, on airplane mode. I have no idea if it helps - but it can't hurt. When an Android phone has WiFi enabled, it is constantly searching for a network. It burns up more battery life looking for a network than it does when connected to one. 2¢

Dedicated device is best, if you dont have that ,like stated above, air plane mode is a must. Load /cache maps to M.P before you head out to fly . Once you get to location to fly . Turn off all running apps except for DJI Go 4 . And turn off auto update . Ive seen that one ground me for days. Its best to fly away from your houses wifi. But if you must like stated :turn off the wifi and switch to air plane mode. You should be good to go .:)

You didn’t give much info on where you live or fly when you have the issues

I am never on airplane mode I use a cheap tablet. My range depends on many issues. Height, obstacles, time of day, in city, outskirts, country, water

U guys really believe in airplane mode? I never do that and my transmission and range has always been great.... I guess it works for lower spec'd devices?

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
The angle of elevation was less than 5 degrees at that distance and height. It would be easy for things to be blocking your signal. Could you see your aircraft?

Greetings all...

I just got my Mavic Air for Christmas. This is my first "real" drone. I say real because I've had a cheap $25 Costco drone for a some time that I used to practice with.

This thread has answered some questions for me.

I have a Mavic Air which I can't get get to go past 1500 feet without losing my signal.

There was setting in the flight app that says limit distance and I turned that OFF (don't know if I should have done that or not). But clearly that was not the issue. I also used manual for the wifi setting on the app to change between 2.4 and 5.8 (and to fix the one time I ended up on EU mode and couldn't go more than 450 feet).

I WAS flying in my neighborhood. I did NOT have line of sight past 10 to 15 homes. And thanks to @msinger poatijf the video about the antenna positioning, I know that was not exactly correct either.

I thought lower was better and rarely went above 200 feet.

I was shutting off the Wi-Fi on my Android LG V20, but I did NOT know about Airplane mode.

I don't have a ton of open fields to fly in, and I'm honestly just starting out and getting acclimated to flying and learning the in's and out.

Is there any other suggestion to get past 1500 feet in my own neighborhood?

Capture+_2019-01-14-15-50-04.png

That seems like reasonable range for Wi-Fi, especially in an urban area. At 200 feet of altitude and that distance, you likely have physical obstructions too.

Reactions: YosMavicAir
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness