DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic takeoff from rocking boat autonomously

dtwrlewis

Reactions
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Had earlier been taking off from front deck of boat in calm waters with no problem. (Hand catch landing as deck is quite small). Moved to this location, bigger swell, boat rocking quite a bit. Turned on mavic, controller and dji go app. Started motors (both sticks down), then to my surprise and resulting panic, the mavic started to take off without any apparent input from me! Only rose about 20cm, moving around a bit, while I tried to bring it down and cut the motors (holding left stick down). Luckily it didnt hit anything on the front deck, but it was basically out of control... Lasted about 15-20secs - but very disconcerting. I hand launched the next flight (which was easier than expected). Any ideas? Log attached. Was it to do with boat rocking?

Motors started means its in "flight" mode. It'll use inputs from the IMU to attempt to maintain a level attitude and altitude whether you "took off" or not. As the boat is rocking and probably going up and down thats normal behaviour. Best to hand launch for that reason.
Or if you do start with CSC, *immediately* go up stick to get it clear of the deck.

Motors started means its in "flight" mode. It'll use inputs from the IMU to attempt to maintain a level attitude and altitude whether you "took off" or not. As the boat is rocking and probably going up and down thats normal behaviour. Best to hand launch for that reason.
Or if you do start with CSC, *immediately* go up stick to get it clear of the deck.

Thanks for the reply... makes sense now, but scared the sh** out of me at the time. Just have to work out how to hand launch with only 2 hands more easily. Holding mavic with one and the controller with the other makes sliding the auto-takeoff slider a bit tricky.

If you have a table or flat surface to rest the controller on it helps. Use the app auto take off.
Click it, then hold the drone high and clear with one hand. With the other hand swipe right on the confirm prompt and it'll take off.
I havent found an easy way doing a manual hand takeoff short of growing a third arm.

Reactions: dtwrlewis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S