DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic unable to maintain altitude on v01.04.0000?

mtx450

Reactions
Copied from another thread. I figured it would make sense to keep the conversation organized in here. Anyone else experiencing this?

Does anyone notice any issues with the Mavic maintaining height on this FW? I'm not trying to start up any drama about firmware and issues related to it, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone else is noticing that? Doesn't matter what height I set it to, I notice it will loose a few ft and then go back up. Sometimes it will then go higher and then come back down. Just doesn't seem to sit in the same spot, and I've never noticed it do that before.

Yes, I've calibrated VPS, IMU, and the Compass.

Reactions: radman
Can you copy over the other relevant posts on the topic? I have the same problem... Mavic tends to drift up or down when fairly close to the ground (like under 20ft). Didn't notice it with prior firmware.

LP

I have been flying extensively for the past two weeks in v01.04.00 and have had no issues whatsoever, including running down two batteries this morning for commercial airline flight this evening - my MP held position perfectly

I downed loaded new firmware last night because I installed new platinum style props. I feel like a idiot today. First two flights had major issues. I got high wind warnings when there is zero wind, battery over discharge warnings both flights, lost GPS several times Mavic drifts all over the place and last but not least my Mavic starts flying backwards mid flight both times. Even when in RTH it goes away from me I have to stop it or watch it go bye bye.

Going to install old props try again and as did reset compass twice think that could be a issues after updating.

I had zero issues before update and over 60 hours flight time

Update: changed props recalibrate compass again everything is fine now.

My Mavic didn’t like the new props to say the least !

Last edited:
For those experiencing this issue, I did a test today - but unfortunately it was far from conclusive. I downgraded my firmware and ran with the old props - and my MP still had problems holding it's height when 10-20 feet high. From that, I concluded that it wasn't being caused by the new firmware. However after my flight, I noticed that the VPS had been turned off. I'm thinking it happened when I wiped the app from my phone and reinstalled. This afternoon I re-upgraded the firmware and ran with the new props, and while it seemed better, it still wasn't perfect as I (perhaps wrongly) remember.

About the only thing I can conclude is that it wasn't caused by the latest firmware...

LP

I noticed the same issue after upgrading to 1.04. My AC drops 3-5 feet at any altitude and tends to drift about. It's also hesitated/balked at an RTH command, course lock is more like course suggestion, and I've lost control of the camera a few times, mid flight. I'm not sure the camera thing is related to the apparent guidance issues, but today, all camera settings vanished for about a minute, as if the AC is disconnected, but I still had all flight controls and FPV feed. Just couldn't shoot video or photos. Crazy.

I downgraded back to .03, but it didn't help, so I'm back at 1.04. I'm not convinced the firmware is blameless, though, since the behavior began on the first flight after the 1.04 upgrade. I'm also unable to calibrate the VPS, as I get the dreaded 85% hang.

Tough to explain why some AC are fine, and a few are stricken. Perhaps there's an hardware rev the firmware engineers didn't account for... The build date on my Mavic is this summer.

Watch it drop at about 50 seconds on this vid:
Dropbox - IMG_9684_720.mp4

Last edited:
I noticed the same issue after upgrading to 1.04. My AC drops 3-5 feet at any altitude and tends to drift about. It's also hesitated/balked at an RTH command, course lock is more like course suggestion, and I've lost control of the camera a few times, mid flight. I'm not sure the camera thing is related to the apparent guidance issues, but today, all camera settings vanished for about a minute, as if the AC is disconnected, but I still had all flight controls and FPV feed. Just couldn't shoot video or photos. Crazy.

I downgraded back to .03, but it didn't help, so I'm back at 1.04. I'm not convinced the firmware is blameless, though, since the behavior began on the first flight after the 1.04 upgrade. I'm also unable to calibrate the VPS, as I get the dreaded 85% hang.

Tough to explain why some AC are fine, and a few are stricken. Perhaps there's an hardware rev the firmware engineers didn't account for... The build date on my Mavic is this summer.

Watch it drop at about 50 seconds on this vid:
Dropbox - IMG_9684_720.mp4

Interesting. That's not what mine does. Mine is much more subtle. I could fly it away, then bring it back to a hover in front of me at say 10 ft off the ground, and let it sit. As it sits, it will ever so slowly rise a few feet. Sometimes it stabilizes, sometimes not. The controller shows no input.

LP

Interesting. That's not what mine does. Mine is much more subtle. I could fly it away, then bring it back to a hover in front of me at say 10 ft off the ground, and let it sit. As it sits, it will ever so slowly rise a few feet. Sometimes it stabilizes, sometimes not. The controller shows no input.

LP
Mine primarily does the same thing; the other stuff seems like some kind of hellish bonus. The video shows it trying to maintain position between 15 and 20 feet off the deck in a slight breeze.

My first experience with latest firmware was little scary, but predictable. Tried it at night hours, on barely lit backyard. o_O:confused::(
MP was not holding position nor altitude. When I did attempt to land it almost slammed into the ground. There was no usual slowing down and gentle landing. Gave up testing at that time.
Next day I discovered that one compass was totally in red. Very surprising, never had similar problem. After recalibration everything went back to normal. So I suggest check yours if they are properly calibrated.

Reactions: Dikhan
My thought exactly: I deem after each change in the FW you should surely again calibrate everything, even the camera using the Assistant, besides checking and resetting all the values in the app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat