DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic video looks like **** !

Just for the **** of it here is one of my first attempts for comparison, do you see any of the same negative affects you are mentioning?

This was shot with no filters at around mid day in D-Cinelog at 4k 24fps and +1 0 0 and PAL. Only thing done to it in post production was clip out sections and export at 1080 24fps. I am no photographer but I was pretty happy with the results playing on a large screen. Is there something in there not right I could work on?

Well done! I'm gonna have to try those settings tomorrow. Thanks

Thanks, yes I am comparing it to any newer DSLR video quality. Unfortunately it is just miles of difference. I could never deliver this kind of quality to a client. It's sad, since the form factor is so perfect.
You haven't set it right then.
Make sure you set sharpness to plus 1 and ALWAYS shoot in 4K to maximize resolution!
Never shoot in HD!

What else could be happening is you maybe filming on ntsc which is essentially using the same compression setting per second that's spread over an extra 5 frames. This could most certainly in theory cause ghosting. Try work with pal and let us know
Rubbish! Nfsc or PAL should make no difference.
North America and Japan use NTSC and no complaints!

Reactions: lenzwizard
Did this a while ago 1080P 30fps - True color - +1 0 0
Not sure if Youtube compresses vid etc but original footage is really quite spectacular

That is by far the most beautiful video I have seen come out of a Mavic Pro. I have been so confused as a new drone operator trying to figure out what settings to use. But now at least I know I MUST try those settings and see what I get. I know there's more to shooting good video than just copying someone's settings but it's not a bad place to start :).

Rubbish! Nfsc or PAL should make no difference.
North America and Japan use NTSC and no complaints!

Bad day? It's all about compression spread over more frames per second man which ntsc has 5 more frames than pal to compress in the same compression ratio per second. Ok not saying ntsc is bad however to get the most out of the compressed Mavic footage and to prevent artifacts it's better to film in 24/25p.

Holy crappie. I'm not a pro photographer. I don't even know how to change framerate let alone all that +1 -0 -0 stuff.... hell I don't even know what that is. I just go up and shoot video and I love it.

As one who was quite pleased with S-VHS footage, I think the VQ is pretty darned good. My only screen with 4K capability is my 23 inch Lenovo. I am barely capable of flying the mavic with any precision and pay so much attention to keeping it out of trouble I seldom tap the screen to focus. I have some footage flying very close to trees in the Arizona desert. Very fine leaf structure. I am only peripherally capable of seeing artifacts with my old eyes. I have no way to edit the 4K yet so my file is somewhat large and was not shot for video content. I was just checking out flying close in to the trees. So close in fact that at one point I was very glad for my forward avoidance system. If you PM me your email I will send that file to you. I am sure your critical eye will be able to find all the flaws. Let us know if it is any good at all. I surely would not know. Sure beats the snot out of S-VHS.

PS I hardly ever judge stuff that has been messed with and uploaded to the net other than in pure FTP. Who knows what was done to the file and how many packets came through "good enough".

Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)

You're just straight up a troll. "I'm not an expert, but use my gear professionally every single day". If you are anywhere close to a professional then it would be obvious the setup of a Mavic or any consumer grade drone camera is just that, consumer grade. You aren't filming that Oscar scene with a Mavic. Move along

Very usable! There is still aliasing, but it is very minimal. How did you post process it to minimize the aliasing? I noticed that you didn't post in 2k or 4k.
I did not do anything special, just shoot in 2.7k and process it in fcpx (just basic color correction, no LUTs) and output masterfile into 2.7k, thats it, youtube seems kill quality little bit as usual

If there is an optimum setting for the Mavic camera it would be extremely useful if that would the default setting when the Mavic is switched on.
Also do not expect professional miracles from such a small sensor camera. The Mavic camera is a cheap thing comparable to certain GoPros.
For real professional results get an Octocopter with a decent camera underneath. It's just a question of one's budget.
That all said with good postprocessing skills Mavic video looks amazingly good on our 75 inch 4 k tv.

I think the Mavic camera is outstanding, and I have high end SLR's etc. But, its the only camera that is, 4k, stabilized, can fly, and all packs up into a package I can put in my motor bike tank bag. Try that with a octocpter and RED :)

Reactions: Piranha
went from a P3P and I see that the mavic Pics and Vids are no where near the same as my P3P ... Which took amazing Videos and Photos! The Mavic is lacking in that area BUT you have to give up some to get the SMALL TRAVEL package.. Im kicking my self for selling the P3P now.. could of used the Mavic for travel and the P3P for road trips.. , but you are correct the Mavic is lacking compared to my P3P ..

You're just straight up a troll. "I'm not an expert, but use my gear professionally every single day". If you are anywhere close to a professional then it would be obvious the setup of a Mavic or any consumer grade drone camera is just that, consumer grade. You aren't filming that Oscar scene with a Mavic. Move along

It sounds like you are the troll. I am trying to make this work so I can use the mavic for projects and am having trouble with the image quality.

This thread is worthless without samples.

I posted this as a sample earlier on in the thread. Not sure why it didn't post correctly.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming