DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic zoom crash

I think that it's pretty well established from the logs you provided that this wasn't the pilot to blame, a bird strike shouldn't have lasted over 40sec. The ESC error may very well have something to do with this ... but with that said, I think your next step should be to contact DJI for their point of view.
ya sure they haven’t been very helpfully because it’s not under warranty, want 65 dollarsto review the flight logs
And for me to send it to them at my cost and then be prepaired to pay for repairs. Has anyone had them offer to pay after a hardware issue

ya sure they haven’t been very helpfully because it’s not under warranty, want 65 dollarsto review the flight logs
And for me to send it to them at my cost and then be prepaired to pay for repairs. Has anyone had them offer to pay after a hardware issue
I would see it like this ...

1. Fly on ... if it holds up, it holds up. But risky if this happens again (as it seems intermittent), then you risk damage either property or people. And if it goes down definitely you then stands with the choice to replace or quit flying. (Personally I wouldn't go this way)

2. You take the flight log review cost in hope that it's easy fix or that DJI will take part or whole cost ... once facing what needs to be done & how it will be financed you take the decision how to proceed.

3. based on 2. you either send the Mavic in or don't.

I would see it like this ...

1. Fly on ... if it holds up, it holds up. But risky if this happens again (as it seems intermittent), then you risk damage either property or people. And if it goes down definitely you then stands with the choice to replace or quit flying. (Personally I wouldn't go this way)

2. You take the flight log review cost in hope that it's easy fix or that DJI will take part or whole cost ... once facing what needs to be done & how it will be financed you take the decision how to proceed.

3. based on 2. you either send the Mavic in or don't.

This is going to happen again. It's out of warranty, and it needs a motor/ESC replacement.

The event as such with a massive flight instability may very well be explained by a failing IMU. When this fails the data needed for a stable flight no longer can be gathered.

But agreed, it's strange that it is recovering ... hopefully we can see the causes once the right DAT is provided.

With the data already provided though... I can't see any problem approaching DJI with this.

Below in short for those eager to learn:

"For a drone to fly perfectly, the IMU, gyro stabilization and flight controller technology is essential. Gyro stabilization technology is one of the most important components, allowing the drone to fly super smooth even in strong winds and gusts. The gyroscope needs to work almost instantly to the forces moving against the drone (gravity, wind etc) to keep it stabilized. In the vast majority of drones, the gyroscope is encompassed or integrated within the IMU.

An IMU unit works by detecting the current rate of acceleration using one or more accelerometers. The IMU detects changes in rotational attributes like pitch, roll and yaw using one or more gyroscopes. Some IMU on drones include a magnetometer, mostly to assist calibration against orientation drift.

On board processors then continually calculate the drones current position. First, it integrates the sensed acceleration, together with an estimate of gravity, to calculate the current velocity. Then it integrates the velocity to calculate the current position.

To fly in any direction, the flight controller gathers the IMU data on present positioning, then sends new data to the motor electronic speed controllers (ESC). These electronic speed controllers signal to the motors the level of thrust and speed required for the drone to fly or hover."
An interesting lesson in Drone Tech. What was the source of this information?

An interesting lesson in Drone Tech. What was the source of this information?
The initial source was the TXT log which run from motor start to motor stop (or signal loss), recording telemetry transmitted from the aircraft to the RC, battery data, gimbal and camera data, flight status and error flags... but no motor data or any raw sensor data.

As it existed status error flags regarding the gyro in the TXT log this could be a trail to be further investigated ... but for that the DAT log were needed.

Once the DAT log were provided we clearly could see that one of the motors didn't performed as commanded, luckily the problem were intermittent & the AC could recover.

So in hindsight the gyro flags were secondary errors ... & the OP were left with a decision on how to proceed as the AC were out of warranty & this problem for sure would occur again.

The initial source was the TXT log which run from motor start to motor stop (or signal loss), recording telemetry transmitted from the aircraft to the RC, battery data, gimbal and camera data, flight status and error flags... but no motor data or any raw sensor data.

As it existed status error flags regarding the gyro in the TXT log this could be a trail to be further investigated ... but for that the DAT log were needed.

Once the DAT log were provided we clearly could see that one of the motors didn't performed as commanded, luckily the problem were intermittent & the AC could recover.

So in hindsight the gyro flags were secondary errors ... & the OP were left with a decision on how to proceed as the AC were out of warranty & this problem for sure would occur again.
My drone is currently with a DJI technician he found that the clip on the prop of the rear right motor had broken off and was getting caught in the motor causing it to over heat. its the only issue he could find. Although some data thought that the issue was with the rear left. I am getting all motors replaced.

My drone is currently with a DJI technician he found that the clip on the prop of the rear right motor had broken off and was getting caught in the motor causing it to over heat. its the only issue he could find. Although some data thought that the issue was with the rear left. I am getting all motors replaced.

The problem was rear left, not rear right.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf