DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Zoom Hi Resolution Mode

Yes, yes, and yes! The "aftermarket" gimbal/camera assembly is actually the OEM DJI Zoom camera sold through AliExpress vendors. The app and the remote always seamlessly recognize which gimbal/camera assembly is attached to the current bound M2, and display and reconfigure all the requisite changes. The right scroll wheel no longer controls exposure. It controls zoom only. The app shows all the M2Z controls and features, instead of the M2P ones. Only additional thing you will need are a source for the 6 tiny screws that attach the gimbal camera assembly. They are not included with the gimbal/camera assembly. I had the ones from my original broken M2P camera that I sent in to DJI. It helps if you bought the more expensive M2P first, because the M2P gimbal/camera assembly through AliExpress is $599.
This is all great information! It makes it easier for me to order the M2P. Would the Smart controller be as intuitive and interchangeable as the standard control?

You may have seen the Pt2 of this thread I posted last night. I was discussing the Fly More package. I would prefer a multiple simultaneous charger over the sequential that come in the package. However, I'm not looking for a fast charge rate since I'm concerned a fast charge rate would shorten battery life. What do you use?

This is all great information! It makes it easier for me to order the M2P. Would the Smart controller be as intuitive and interchangeable as the standard control?

You may have seen the Pt2 of this thread I posted last night. I was discussing the Fly More package. I would prefer a multiple simultaneous charger over the sequential that come in the package. However, I'm not looking for a fast charge rate since I'm concerned a fast charge rate would shorten battery life. What do you use?
Smart controller, as I understand it, makes switching aircraft even easier, once set up properly, as you select from among the aircraft you own and have set up previously with it, when you boot up. I use the DJI sequential charger, as speed is not an issue for me, but aftermarket simultaneous chargers are available for M2 batteries. Googling it will turn up the various options, or check PhantomHelp.com. He seems to be on top of all available choices.

Greetings fellow pilots! As a photographer, I'm considering ordering the Mavic 2 Zoom over the Mavic 2 Pro. The Zoom also has a 24 mm lens versus the 28mm of the Pro. Those extra 4mm of wide angle can come in handy in many of the scenes I cover. In addition, the zoom lens will also allow me to get in close from a safe distance, while correcting some of the wide angle distortion. . However, to get these features I'm passing on the benefits of the one inch sensor of the Mavic 2 Pro. I'm hoping that the Hi Resolution Mode of the Zoom will help compensate for not having the one inch sensor. Do any of you know where I can see a side by side comparison photo where this feature is used against the Pro?

I ended up getting both with the smart controller, It's nice being able to just switch between drones. I really don't have a favorite though.
But I do fly with the regular controller sometimes, I like having options. Plus I have the charger that charges 3 batteries at the same time.

Reactions: AlienDrone
Greetings fellow pilots! As a photographer, I'm considering ordering the Mavic 2 Zoom over the Mavic 2 Pro. The Zoom also has a 24 mm lens versus the 28mm of the Pro. Those extra 4mm of wide angle can come in handy in many of the scenes I cover. In addition, the zoom lens will also allow me to get in close from a safe distance, while correcting some of the wide angle distortion. . However, to get these features I'm passing on the benefits of the one inch sensor of the Mavic 2 Pro. I'm hoping that the Hi Resolution Mode of the Zoom will help compensate for not having the one inch sensor. Do any of you know where I can see a side by side comparison photo where this feature is used against the Pro?
Biggest difference between the two sensors is the vastly improved low light capability of the M2P's larger 1” sensor. The M2Z is also a variable aperture zoom, which changes to f/3.8 at 2x, which makes it even worse in low light, sacrificing one more full f stop of sensitivity at 2x on a significantly smaller sensor. Don't choose! Get one of each!

I started with the zoom and used it for a bit, then bought a pro camera and swapped cameras. I'm still pretty new to the Mavic 2 and using both cameras, but it feels like for (rough guess) 85% of the pics they will both do great but when you have special needs, one or the other will outshine the other.
How hard was to swap cameras? Can you supply a link where you got the camera from? Thanks

DJI will definitely NOT switch M2 cameras for parts and labor! You have to do that on your own. That service was never offered, despite rumors and speculation to the contrary.
It was not rumor and speculation. DJI themselves said they would soon provide the service. That's why they had to rewrite their warranty and refresh policies to account for sanctioned gimbal swaps. The problem is they never followed through to provide the service..

It was because of this announcement that many though perhaps swapping gimbals would work, tried it and were pleased with the outcome.

It was not rumor and speculation. DJI themselves said they would soon provide the service. That's why they had to rewrite their warranty and refresh policies to account for sanctioned gimbal swaps. The problem is they never followed through to provide the service..

It was because of this announcement that many though perhaps swapping gimbals would work, tried it and were pleased with the outcome.
Thanks for the correction. Poor choice of wording on my part. Original post edited for accuracy. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the answer to the original question. DJI still won't swap the cameras for any amount of money, even though many still think they will, and I personally don't recommend anyone else do it more than once, as it is too risky to keep repeating it. That's why I bought a second bare M2 aircraft for my other M2 camera.

Last edited:
Any issues I have had with the mavics in general have been related to low light. the MP was awful in low light. The MA in contrast is quite good. The M2z seems better than the original MP but not as good as the MA under low light. That being said I will keep the zoom as the ability to zoom in up to 4x can be a real plus for some of the commercial work I do where image quality is not as important as up close detail.

Just buy them both...that’s what I do in these situations. Lol. I’m currently waiting on the Skydio 2. Excited for that new toy!!!!

How hard was to swap cameras? Can you supply a link where you got the camera from? Thanks
There's a couple of YouTube videos on the topic. It looks surprisingly easy. The controller automatically detects the difference and becmes functional for the correct drone.
Any issues I have had with the mavics in general have been related to low light. the MP was awful in low light. The MA in contrast is quite good. The M2z seems better than the original MP but not as good as the MA under low light. That being said I will keep the zoom as the ability to zoom in up to 4x can be a real plus for some of the commercial work I do where image quality is not as important as up close detail.

Here's a link I discovered this week on the M2P sensor over heating issue:
It seems as though DJI had to compromise the function of the 1" sensor for overheating issues. According to this technician's test, the sensor does something called "line skipping" that prevents the sensor from functioning at it's full capability. His test show that the M2P is not up to the image quality of the P4P for this reason. This has me considering the Zoom once more. Disappointed to hear the Zoom has less low light ability than the MA, because low light is part of what I need at times. But I need the Ocu-sync 2 platform and therefore cannot consider the MA for this purchase. Two of the three drones I have now are Wifi, with the exception of the Yuneec Q500. The Q500's range is limited to about 500' so the range factor is a big part of my purchase.

BTW, have any of you heard about the MP3 in 2020? They were talking about this on Drone U. This has me thinking that the Zoom will cover most of what I need now with plans to buy the MP3 when it is released.

The other disappointment with the Zoom is not having various setting options that it would or should be capable of. In the case of Phantom 3, besides 4K, there were many settigs the Pro had that the Advanced did not, but the Advanced stlll had many of the same settings. Zoom has barely any.

The other disappointment with the Zoom is not having various setting options that it would or should be capable of. In the case of Phantom 3, besides 4K, there were many settigs the Pro had that the Advanced did not, but the Advanced stlll had many of the same settings. Zoom has barely any.
It is also annoying that the Zoom feature takes over the normal exposure compensation setting on the right scroll wheel, meaning that you now have to use the 5 button for exposure compensation, forcing you to remove one hand from the sticks in order to adjust the exposure compensation. This required awkward move discourages changing exposure during tricky maneuvers that create scene changes that require exposure compensation. Also, the Zoom is a variable aperture zoom, which changes to f/3.7 at 2x, losing a full stop wide open when zoomed fully, further degrading the image, as it forces a doubling of the ISO, once the minimum shutter speed dictated by the frame rate has been achieved in low light.

I wish the right scroll wheel was like the phantoms where you could push in to change what the wheel adjusted.

I wish the right scroll wheel was like the phantoms where you could push in to change what the wheel adjusted.
Yes, that would have been the best solution! Too late now. They should have talked to us first! ;)

It is also annoying that the Zoom feature takes over the normal exposure compensation setting on the right scroll wheel, meaning that you now have to use the 5 button for exposure compensation, forcing you to remove one hand from the sticks in order to adjust the exposure compensation. This required awkward move discourages changing exposure during tricky maneuvers that create scene changes that require exposure compensation. Also, the Zoom is a variable aperture zoom, which changes to f/3.7 at 2x, losing a full stop wide open when zoomed fully, further degrading the image, as it forces a doubling of the ISO, once the minimum shutter speed dictated by the frame rate has been achieved in low light.
Some very good points. At this time, I'm doing more stills than video. Using the 5 button will probably be a minor issue until I start recording more videos. I'm very familiar with the shifting aperture. Many of the zoom lens I have used and use today with my SLRs have that same issue.

I downloaded the user manual for the M2Z. I was trying to find the camera settings section to review it's setting options. I did not see much useful info on that topic. Can you give me some examples of these settings options that the Zoom lacks?

Some very good points. At this time, I'm doing more stills than video. Using the 5 button will probably be a minor issue until I start recording more videos. I'm very familiar with the shifting aperture. Many of the zoom lens I have used and use today with my SLRs have that same issue.
I'm spoiled, as all my DSLR zoom lenses are full frame f/2.8 and only one is f/4 (200-400). I got tired of the exposure change every time I zoomed on the much cheaper consumer zooms. Severely affects flash output, too! That expensive glass is now almost obsolete! :oops:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet