DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Battery Controller Mods

I am getting ready to crack open a Mavic2 battery and "pray" not to brick it like the old MP's were prone to do. I noticed the M2P battery connector is no longer reversible, can't wait to figure out why (unless someone already knows and can share here).

Last edited:
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I am getting ready to crack open a Mavic2 battery and "pray" not to brick it like the old MP's were prone to do. I noticed the M2P battery connector is no longer reversible, can't wait to figure out why (unless someone already knows and can share here).
I've already ordered the Raptor XR antenna for my M2P.Screenshot_20180903-114237.jpeg

Reactions: Pablo Chacon
Elton, did 4 hawks confirm compatibility with the Mavic 2series?
I’m curious how the old versions work given the 2’s additional frequency bands...

In any case I’m very eager to hear how your test comes out!
Good luck.
Yes. It's a matter of frequency with antennas and the M1s and M2s use the same frequency, so I pulled the trigger on it.

I'll definitely be posting about it. :)

First look at the M2 battery controller. This one you can actually open up without destroying the case. Much easier to work with than the MP battery system. NOTE: one cell is glued like a m****** f****** to the back of the case. I don't know yet, but I probably compromised that one cell trying to extricate it. Other than this one issue, the battery is super easy to open up and work on with a little patience and coaxing the plastic parts apart. Inside there are about 10 internal screws to remove too.

dronemods-2018-517.png dronemods-2018-516.png dronemods-2018-515.png dronemods-2018-514.png dronemods-2018-513.png dronemods-2018-512.png dronemods-2018-511.png

Last edited:
This was the 2nd test flight with the battery controller power mod. I think we can call the mod a keeper so far. Still get lots of Go4 errors, but nothing new we haven't seen before. Full up and full throttle (at the same time under heay load) makes the Go4 app just puke on itself with errors.

I also noticed the flight controls were very sluggish and high latency responses. Towards the end of the flight I coulnd't get the giimbal up/down positioned where I wanted it because of multi second control input latency. Will have to work on that and figure it out. I suspect that my ipad was the culprit because of those stoopid mobile CPU errors, but not sure yet.

Anyway, this flight was with the factory battery and dual TP4500LiHv's charged to 17.6v. There are enough data points in this flight to make some pretty good estimates for running it out to the limit. Had lights winds around 4mph for the flight.

NOTE: even with obsitcal avoidance disabled, the upward sensor would not allow the bird to takeoff when the power cable ran across the "eye" at the top rear of the bird. I had to tape the cable to the side of it to take off. Not sure how to disable it, any ideas?? You will also notice a couple rookie auto landing mistakes in the video; I haven't used assistant yet to modify the battery parameters.

ALSO: the motors were hot after the flight, but at the top end of what we would call "normal" and AUW was 1595g.

Reactions: SkyNinja
Alright, I took the next logical step and removed the factory battery cells from the battery case. I then soldered an external 4S balance cable lead. Unfortunately the battery controller bricked, but that's OK. We learned on the MP that as long as the cell voltages report in the go4 app, that's all you need. As you can see in the attached pictures, the bird does not recognize that there is an attached battery, however cell voltages report just fine!!

The dual mod comes in at 63 grams and allows you to use any combination of external batteries you choose. And the best part is that there is ZERO mod'ing needed on the bird itself. All thats needed is a sacrificial M2 factory battery.

EDIT: the battery controller power button does nothing and there are no LED's illuminated at any time. The controller is truly bricked.

dronemods-2018-563.png dronemods-2018-562.png dronemods-2018-561.png dronemods-2018-560.png

I kept breaking the solder point to the controller board, so I ditched the casing and taped the wires down to prevent the stress breaks. When I get this finalized and fully tested, I will probably dip the whole thing in a thin layer of epoxy right up to the connector pins.

This is soooooo much cleaner and smaller than the MP controller mod. Love it!

upload_2018-9-10_15-17-43.png

upload_2018-9-10_15-17-28.png

Uggg... since the last software update all my mod'ed battery controllers no longer work and the bird won't take off :(

DJI = Documented Joy Interruption

Anyone else see this?

1540481339779.png

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
First look at the M2 battery controller. This one you can actually open up without destroying the case. Much easier to work with than the MP battery system. NOTE: one cell is glued like a m****** f****** to the back of the case. I don't know yet, but I probably compromised that one cell trying to extricate it. Other than this one issue, the battery is super easy to open up and work on with a little patience and coaxing the plastic parts apart. Inside there are about 10 internal screws to remove too.

View attachment 45529View attachment 45530View attachment 45531View attachment 45532View attachment 45533View attachment 45534View attachment 45535

Hi, Beanbubba!
In the battery Mavic pro chip used bq30. I can not see on your photo - which chip is used in the battery controller Mavic 2?
Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ