DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Battery Mods

I was tempted, but I know I suck at soldering and did not want to risk it. So I just cut the clip, added wires and soldered them to the pins on top.
I could not find any other power junctions inside the bird other than these 2 options. Has anyone else found a different method?

I have not decided if I’m going to keep this battery. I figure once I take it out of the hard case, shrink wrap it will be around 530g giving me slightly better mAh/gram then my Multistar LiHv 4000.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
OK, I did skyninja's pseudo battery clip mod on my other M2 by harvesting an old MP battery clip. For those of you that have not tried any M2 mod's yet, they so far have been exponentially easier than the MP (or maybe we just have more practice) :)

upload_2018-9-13_23-18-46.png

upload_2018-9-13_23-19-4.png

upload_2018-9-13_23-19-20.png

upload_2018-9-13_23-19-36.png

I have 3 of these units on order. They have a heavy plastic case that can be removed for ~20 grams weight savings. I have not used this model yet, does anyone have experience with them?

upload_2018-9-13_23-31-53.png

I just had a minor heart attack while doing a range run with the battery clip mod while over water. Anyway, the voltage was jumping all over the place and I am pretty sure I need to solder the clip leads to the power pins on the bird.

Here are some recent airdata numbers for the different power mods for comparison:

dronemods-2018-592.png dronemods-2018-591.png dronemods-2018-590.png :

Wow, hopefully soldering the clips to the pins solves the issue. I solderer mine but I’m still dealing with rain for the next few days so I won’t have a opportunity to test it.

Wow, hopefully soldering the clips to the pins solves the issue. I solderer mine but I’m still dealing with rain for the next few days so I won’t have a opportunity to test it.

You will notice in the graph that it started ok and within "normal" ranges, but right at the midway turn the weight shifted and apparently jostled the clip to a less favorable connectivity path :)

I literally had a minor heart attack when voltage dropped to 3.6 and I was 20,000 feet from shore... I guess @SkyNinja knows what that feels like.

I have 3 of these units on order. They have a heavy plastic case that can be removed for ~20 grams weight savings. I have not used this model yet, does anyone have experience with them?

View attachment 46439

Proteks are my favorite batteries, I did tried Thunderpower With my MP1 but did not get as good results as I did with the Proteks.
I have the 4200, You should drop up closer to 30g of weight by removing them from the hard case.
IMG_9363.JPG

**** didn’t realize my screen went dim on my scale but it dropped 27g removing the hard case

Proteks are my favorite batteries, I did tried Thunderpower With my MP1 but did not get as good results as I did with the Proteks.
I have the 4200, You should drop up closer to 30g of weight by removing them from the hard case.
View attachment 46513

**** didn’t realize my screen went dim on my scale but it dropped 27g removing the hard case

Intuition is telling me that protek had a law suit or settlement sometime in the past that dictated the crazy heavy protective case. We should probably handle these guys carefully after removing the case :)

Or we could do like Lolo:

upload_2018-9-14_16-39-24.png

View attachment 46513

What is the weight of your PT4200SGLiHv ?

Intuition is telling me that protek had a law suit or settlement sometime in the past that dictated the crazy heavy protective case. We should probably handle these guys carefully after removing the case :)

Or we could do like Lolo:

View attachment 46515

A couple layers of fireball☄️ red shrinkwrap should help protect it[emoji38]

IMG_9364.JPG

I am not a happy camper. I was having difficulty getting the solder to stick to the pins that go through the clip. I guess I held the iron heat too long and fried the esc board. The bird says "can't take off" and gives this following error message.

NOTE: be extra careful if trying to solder in this manner. I don't think my DJI care supports this :(

upload_2018-9-14_22-7-10.png

**** that sucks, at least you have a second one you can still fly until you get a new esc bored.

I found a new one for sale on eBay for $129, but I’m sure it’s a pain in the *** solder all Motor wires to it.

NEW DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom ESC and Power Circuit Board | eBay

Thanks for looking that up, just ordered one. I guess this bird will become my Unlimited class unit. I won't bother soldering the 4 LED's and go ahead and remove them and the wiring. I guess this was going to happen sooner or later :)

BTW, when the factory part already has a bead of solder on the board, soldering is a breeze and not a hard chore once you have practiced enough.

I noticed some M2 behavior that I do not remember on the M1. I ran test flights all week long and had varied weather conditions with differing wind speed and direction. I was always in "P" switch mode and during level, straight, and full throttle sustained flight, my bird would level of at exactly 31.4mph EVERY flight regardless of differing wind conditions.

Did I miss the memo on this, or is this new information?? It greatly changes your power budget calculations. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just different and needs to be accounted for (unless this is old news I am just now figuring out).

o_O

I noticed some M2 behavior that I do not remember on the M1. I ran test flights all week long and had varied weather conditions with differing wind speed and direction. I was always in "P" switch mode and during level, straight, and full throttle sustained flight, my bird would level of at exactly 31.4mph EVERY flight regardless of differing wind conditions.

Did I miss the memo on this, or is this new information?? It greatly changes your power budget calculations. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just different and needs to be accounted for (unless this is old news I am just now figuring out).

o_O

I guess they widened the flight controllers authority over tilt and power to maintain speed. There are some new parameters I've been meaning to play around with in that regard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe