DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Radio & Antenna Mods

It's going to be interesting where to place the RPSMA connector. It's not as obvious as before.

I might try something different and leave the factory antennas in place and place a micro junction box where I can switch back and forth. We will see after she is cracked open.

View attachment 60720

Definitely. I’ve been wondering about a 3D printed mount, possibly attaching at the threads on the bottom or mounting in place of the current antennas. The switch is a good idea; depending on what’s under that bottom panel and slot I may go that way or add some exposed UFL jacks. The profile/backpack compatibility is the main reason I’m switching to them (for SAR).

Also thinking about external power supply with an ISDT USB 3 converter plus a bit of heating as well, it’s 14F half the year here. That’s probably a whole different can of monkeys though

FYI - these are the RPSMA pigtails from eBay I have exclusively used on the M1 and M2 controllers if you are wanting to DIY. I am sure they should work on the smart controller, but we will see...

Nice I last got this set from Amazon because prime shipping, but I’m set up to build my own as well in case it’s IPEX4 (darn you FrSky!) or proprietary. Hopefully it’s just the nice clean IPEX that’s in the mavic 2’s.

Pack of 4 RF U.FL(IPEX/IPX) Mini PCI to RP-SMA Female Pigtail Antenna Wi-Fi Low Loss Coaxial Cable 1.13mm (6"/15cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LL6HWL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EAHtCb99VTBPG

416684BC-E353-43D4-A91D-DC76C13C517B.png

Nice I last got this set from Amazon because prime shipping, but I’m set up to build my own as well in case it’s IPEX4 (darn you FrSky!) or proprietary. Hopefully it’s just the nice clean IPEX that’s in the mavic 2’s.

Pack of 4 RF U.FL(IPEX/IPX) Mini PCI to RP-SMA Female Pigtail Antenna Wi-Fi Low Loss Coaxial Cable 1.13mm (6"/15cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LL6HWL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EAHtCb99VTBPG

View attachment 60734
I had no luck with those on the M1 and M2 RC's. the post wasn't long enough and you need the big "washer" to plug the hole in the case precisely. And you need the 90 degree cable offset to properly navigate the innards of the RC. The pigtail I listed was specifically custom manufactured for DJI RC's. I have never seen anything but U.FL cable connectors used on the many devices and projects in the past. I doubt we will see a connector change on the smart controller.

Last edited:
I had no luck with those on the M1 and M2 RC's. the post wasn't long enough and you need the big "washer" to plug the hole in the case precisely.

Interesting. Mine have worked great. Different batches?

No standard U.FL/IPEX, they went with IPEX4 for the RX/TX; IPEX for wifi (AFAICT without pulling more off). All you have to do is pull off the easy access panel and the antennae are on the right under the plastic block with two phillip’s head screws.

Inside the main compartment:
8408CDB1-D7A4-4C9E-97C5-7574F870F005.jpeg

Main compartment with extraneous stuff including 7.2v 5000mAh Li-Ion removed (it’s split across both sides, thus the nice balanced feel)

5BC928C3-718B-40D7-87DC-A6D3CA77E930.jpeg

Antenna attachment area

62B942F7-1A8B-4B2C-B895-E9FA9FBDE5A3.jpeg

IPEX vs IPEX4

93E6C2B8-3405-42AC-A91F-EB5712DF42C8.jpeg

That’s all I’ve got for now; it’s nice the modding will be easy to apply and revert, for sure!

Reactions: beanbubba

No standard U.FL/IPEX, they went with IPEX4 for the RX/TX; IPEX for wifi (AFAICT without pulling more off). All you have to do is pull off the easy access panel and the antennae are on the right under the plastic block with two phillip’s head screws.

View attachment 60908

Main compartment with extraneous stuff including 7.2v 5000mAh Li-Ion removed (it’s split across both sides, thus the nice balanced feel)

View attachment 60909

Antenna attachment area

View attachment 60910

IPEX vs IPEX4

View attachment 60911

That’s all I’ve got for now; it’s nice the modding will be easy to apply and revert, for sure!
Sweet!!

Finally an "easy" RC mod.

Thanks for sharing...

EDIT: did you find an obvious position for the RPSMA bulkhead attachment?

Last edited:

View attachment 60908

View attachment 60909

Antenna attachment area

View attachment 60910

IPEX vs IPEX4

View attachment 60911

Have you found a good mounting attachment/holder for a tripod?

I am confused :)

How do you attach the quick release plate to the RC?

By the sticks, duh! Oh, wait... The two mountpoints on the bottom are threaded the same, so you can just screw in a short M4 into the QR plate after removing the 1/4-20 that comes with it.

Looks like my IPEX4 adapters are just a few stops away, I’ll post something here/to thingiverse once I have a decent first shot at a holder for my raptor SR/XR

By the sticks, duh! Oh, wait... The two mountpoints on the bottom are threaded the same, so you can just screw in a short M4 into the QR plate after removing the 1/4-20 that comes with it.

Looks like my IPEX4 adapters are just a few stops away, I’ll post something here/to thingiverse once I have a decent first shot at a holder for my raptor SR/XR
Sorry, I don't have an RC to examine for this.

I got my IPEX adapters already, but still no RC :(

Hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

This has been taunting me for months and I finally gave in and got one. It's huge and heavy, but it claims 22 dBm RX gain (that is sorely needed on the M2) and I must test this soon and report results :)

1549056815954.png

1549056832449.png

Hi all. When doing the left leg flip around on the m2. Is the long black plastic part the antenna. And does it just it just come out of a connection socket. ( not held in by wires or anything) looks pretty fragile. Thanks.

Hi all. When doing the left leg flip around on the m2. Is the long black plastic part the antenna. And does it just it just come out of a connection socket. ( not held in by wires or anything) looks pretty fragile. Thanks.
Yes it is fragile. Yes it is held in place by silicon glue. Yes it is very easy to rip the coax solder point from the antenna while attempting to extricate it.

Good luck :)

Hi beanbubba. I can’t quite tell in the photos but after unscrewing the leg. You say its held by glue. Do you mean its glued into the leg. And does this mean you have to de solder the antenna first for removal. Thank you.

sorry disregard the wink above. I was trying to find how you take photos. Have re positioned the leg so will have to see how it goes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure