DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max distance 50 meters

Rex Peters

Reactions
I have bought a iPad mini 5 to use with my Mavic mini but a strange thing has happened. In some flights my drone would say it’s reached it max distance at 50 meters even though the distance set through the software was set to 1000. I was able to fix it, at least for that flight by either restarting the iPad or the fly app or the drone. I’m not sure what the fix was exactly. Since then I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. Haven’t had a chance to see if it helped. Just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.

Reactions: Cw4bray
The mini itself will not have anything to do with that issue.
App settings are where to look.

Reactions: Thomas B
Have you got accessories on it, the AC might be in “payload mode”

The mini itself will not have anything to do with that issue.
App settings are where to look.
Lannes, as I said in my post that the distance was set to 1000 meters. I have also flown with my iPhone without any issues. Hopefully, now that I have reinstalled the software, the issue will be gone.
Thanks

If the Mini was launched without the app connected (remote only) then height and distance is limited. I'm not sure if the limits are released if the app is subsequently connected mid-flight.

Note that the limits aren't imposed if you launched with the app connected, but during flight lose the app connection.

Danman32,
I always have the app running first, then the controller and lastly I turn on the drone. But maybe I’ll try the controller first then the app and lastly the drone. If that doesn’t work then I’ll turn on the controller then the drone and lastly the app. I have never had this max distance issue when using the phone, just the iPad mini 5.

Danman32,
I always have the app running first, then the controller and lastly I turn on the drone. But maybe I’ll try the controller first then the app and lastly the drone. If that doesn’t work then I’ll turn on the controller then the drone and lastly the app. I have never had this max distance issue when using the phone, just the iPad mini 5.
One more thing I want to add is that everything else works normally with the drone and the app. It just imposes that max range of 50 meters even when I change it in the app. I’ll keep on investigating and let you guys know if I find the cause and /or solution.

One more thing I want to add is that everything else works normally with the drone and the app. It just imposes that max range of 50 meters even when I change it in the app. I’ll keep on investigating and let you guys know if I find the cause and /or solution.
Your flight data would be a good place to start.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file.

Seems that the FLY app, for some reasons turned on the beginner mode. Suggest to check that setting if it occur again.

Seems that the FLY app, for some reasons turned on the beginner mode. Suggest to check that setting if it occur again.

I didn't think the Fly app had a beginner's mode.

@Rex Peters, this was posted on another forum which shows that Payload mode causes exactly your symptoms:

1601464087097.png

If you're not using the prop guards (and don't have anything else attached to the drone), make sure that Payload mode is not selected in the options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emanáku and boblui
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake