DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max height increased to 1000m

Unless they have changed something from the original implementation, you have to turn off all Altitude layers to be able to view the map underneath the gray 500m altitude limit that exists everywhere else, within 50km of any airport. If you are within 50km of airports, there are also Altitude Zones coming off all the airport runways that you can no longer see when you need to turn off the Altitude layers to be able to see your otherwise obscured maps. What are you seeing that is different from that, in the areas within 50km of airports?
I am left confused. My reference was to what I see on the DJI Geo web site. I don't understand the comment about turning off ALL altitude layers. Where, what app, what web site...or where within the menu on the controller are you referring to? I don't know anything about turning off altitude layers so you'll have to school me on that and thanks ahead of time for that info...The only time I'm looking at that information is typically on the dji geo web site and that hasn't changed except now, when you designate the drone to be used, you see the 50km circles when you designate the use of a Mavic 3 series drone.

I am left confused. My reference was to what I see on the DJI Geo web site. I don't understand the comment about turning off ALL altitude layers. Where, what app, what web site...or where within the menu on the controller are you referring to? I don't know anything about turning off altitude layers so you'll have to school me on that and thanks ahead of time for that info...The only time I'm looking at that information is typically on the dji geo web site and that hasn't changed except now, when you designate the drone to be used, you see the 50km circles when you designate the use of a Mavic 3 series drone.
He's talking about the "Recommended Zone" or "Fly Spots" maps on the Fly home screen. You can see the zones there and toggle them by tapping the information icon.

Maybe I'm still not understanding. With my Mav3 connected to my RC-N1 controller which is out to my iPad Pro, this is what I see when I tap on the map on the lower left corner of the controller screen.

Attachments

• IMG_1548.PNG
    IMG_1548.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Maybe I'm still not understanding. With my Mav3 connected to my RC-N1 controller which is out to my iPad Pro, this is what I see when I tap on the map on the lower left corner of the controller screen.
Tap the "i" icon at the top of the icon column on the right of that map.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
He's talking about the "Recommended Zone" or "Fly Spots" maps on the Fly home screen. You can see the zones there and toggle them by tapping the information icon.
No, I am talking about the Map in the Fly app, when enlarged to full screen, and you are trying to see street detail in the Mixed Satellite view, behind the new obstructive gray 500m altitude layer that exists everywhere outside the few 1000m zones that exist that are over 50km from all airports.

Last edited:
Zoom into your location and the gray 500m altitude layer will completely obstruct seeing any map detail underneath it. When fully zoomed out, it isn't as obstructive. To see "through" it, you either have to touch and hold your finger on the map continuously, or comoletely turn off the Altitude layer under the "i" icon, which means the blue Altitude bow tie extensions off the nearby airports no longer appear, but they will still limit your flight altitude. You just won't know the boundaries any more!

Zoom into your location and the gray 500m altitude layer will completely obstruct seeing any map detail underneath it. When fully zoomed out, it isn't as obstructive. To see "through" it, you either have to touch and hold your finger on the map continuously, or comoletely turn off the Altitude layer under the "i" icon, which means the blue Altitude bow tie extensions off the nearby airports no longer appear, but they will still limit your flight altitude. You just won't know the boundaries any more!
the map I showed above is what I see when I open the map on the corner of the fly app. It shows me everything...

the map I showed above is what I see when I open the map on the corner of the fly app. It shows me everything...
I thought I made myself clear. You haven't yet zoomed in to the street level where the 500m altitude layer completely obstructs the map view.

The new 1000 meter ceiling is legit. I found a sliver of land in Eastern Connecticut where there were
no concentric geo-zones overlapping. I sent it straight up in a huge field and sure enough it blew
past 500 meters to 3280 feet. Really gives you an awesome view. Amazing how accurate DJI geo zones are.

Reactions: passedpawn
The new 1000 meter ceiling is legit. I found a sliver of land in Eastern Connecticut where there were
no concentric geo-zones overlapping. I sent it straight up in a huge field and sure enough it blew
past 500 meters to 3280 feet. Really gives you an awesome view. Amazing how accurate DJI geo zones are.
The 1000m ceiling is solely designed for mountain climbing from the base, while still staying within 400 feet of the slope below, not for exceeding the 400 foot AGL limitation of the FAA in an open field.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
The 1000m ceiling is solely designed for mountain climbing from the base, while still staying within 400 feet of the slope below, not for exceeding the 400 foot AGL limitation of the FAA in an open field.
yeah...that's all I would use it for

but I fly in a lot of places where it would be very useful

AKDRONE, here is a short video that might help.

yeah...that's all I would use it for

but I fly in a lot of places where it would be very useful
Now you can see why it is limited to areas over 50km from the nearest airport! "Awesome views at 3280 feet" has trouble written all over it!

Mountain climbing from the base threatens no one.

Reactions: moldorf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229