DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Used the Mavic3's 1000M/3280ft Ceiling Feature

moldorf

Reactions
I know some have wondered about how the increased ceiling feature works in the firmware update from a few months ago. As I understood it, the Mavic3 would boot-up, locate GPS, and determine if it was in a zone restricted to the standard 500M/1640ft limitation. However, if the GPS told the app that the drone was more than 50KM/30Miles from any airport, you could then double the ceiling limitation to 1000M/3280ft

I was very interested in this feature because in the spring/summer/fall I spend a lot of time in very remote areas of Oregon/Nevada, especially around the Great Basin Desert mountain ranges. They have steep slopes and massive cliffs in many places, and that 1640ft limitation has actually been insufficient for my Mini's to record video and photo in these situations because the slopes and cliffs have been closer to 3000ft above home point than 1000ft

Anyway, just returned from a 10 day camping trip on top of the Steens Mountains in eastern Oregon. And the Fly App allowed me to increase the ceiling since the nearest airport was probably 70 miles away. I only used the feature a couple times when we went down to the base of the mountain range. And I only made it up to about 2300ft (which was about 70ft above the ground below) because it was about 95 degrees F and I got paranoid about overheating the drone

all I had to do was go into the safety menu and drag the cursor for maximum altitude up to the doubled limit and check thru a warning screen. I had to do that each time I flew as the app would reset to the standard limit

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne