DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum decent elevation and return when taking off at 14,500' Elevation

Not sure because I’ve not done that.
I do know that at that altitude, you will want to add in some time to climb back to the home point. Air’s a little thin there and will require a bit more horsepower.

Reactions: TR Ganey
If it was me I would see how well it would ascend at 14,500. If no issues then you are good. And like Starz said have lots of juice left for the return trip.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Are you standing ontop of Mt. Washington, the tallest mountain in the continental US, at 14,495ft? Lol

I hiked that mountain in 1994 while hiking the PCT. Best 6 Mos of my life. You can see a couple picks of that hike on my awesome instagram account, @dropstokes .
(see what I did there?)

Thanks for your replies. This will be in Peru. Re-Phrasing the question, this is not a power issue question. The issue at hand is there a DJI software restriction on negative flight altitude on RTH back to the higher start elevation. Example, starting point 14,500' and descending to 11,500' with a return to home at 14,500'.

Are you standing ontop of Mt. Washington, the tallest mountain in the continental US, at 14,495ft? Lol

I hiked that mountain in 1994 while hiking the PCT. Best 6 Mos of my life. You can see a couple picks of that hike on my awesome instagram account, @dropstokes .
(see what I did there?)

Mt Washington ( NH) is nowhere near 14K feet

6288 is the accepted height above MSL

(see what I did there?)

Mt Whitney is the highest in the lower 48, at 14,505 ft. Denali is the highest in North America, at 20,310 ft. If you did it from the PCT then you are probably thinking of Mt Whitney.

Mt Whitney is the highest in the lower 48, at 14,505 ft. Denali is the highest in North America, at 20,310 ft. If you did it from the PCT then you are probably thinking of Mt Whitney.
Ha! The 20+ years fogged me out. You are correct, sir. Mt. Whitney. I still have 14495 number, though... I don't know why.

Thanks for your replies. This will be in Peru. Re-Phrasing the question, this is not a power issue question. The issue at hand is there a DJI software restriction on negative flight altitude on RTH back to the higher start elevation. Example, starting point 14,500' and descending to 11,500' with a return to home at 14,500'.
I got it the first time. But as I said, I’ve not done that and hopefully someone with that knowledge or the tech gurus will jump in and get this answered!

I got it the first time. But as I said, I’ve not done that and hopefully someone with that knowledge or the tech gurus will jump in and get this answered!

There is no firmware restriction on that. The only restriction is that you cannot exceed 500 m above the takeoff elevation.

Reactions: Starz
Back then it's height was probably listed as 14,497 ft or 14,494 ft. The published values have varied with both survey methods and vertical datum used.

Climb the highest mountain, but how high is Mt. Whitney?
You're right! 14494! Ha.. I just learned something.
I remember it being foggy as all get out.. And I remember a weather station or something like that up there... Or was that Mt. Whitney or the AT which I had hiked the year before in New Hampshire, right? I remember climbing that one all day and when I got up top, there was a bus with a bunch of Oldtimers walking around.. Lol.. I thought it would have been a little more remote but there was a road on the other side of the mountain.. Haha. I think it was pretty windy there too. Or one of them. I dunno anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
nope... DJI firmware limits you max altitude of 500m (1,640') above and, I believe, your minimum altitude to 200m below your takeoff elevation.

500 m above is correct. There is no minimum altitude though - where did you get that idea from?

500 m above is correct. There is no minimum altitude though - where did you get that idea from?
I got that information from Litchi when planning a waypoint mission down into a canyon. Give it a try for yourself!

Don't know about firmware limits, but jctarvin is correct -- Litchi has a minimum descent altitude of 200m (656 feet).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS