DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum height

MyAir

Reactions
Newbie here. Mavic Air just out of the box and a couple of practice sessions on beginner setting.
Question is if I am standing at the top of an ocean cliff and launch the Air and it goes out over the cliff and the height from sea level is say 150 metres how will it react given the maximum height is set at 30m?
Will it just drop down to 30m above the ocean? Then I might have trouble getting down to recover it.
Or will it just sound a warning and return home?
Don't want to risk trying it without knowing.
Thanks

Reactions: WAXMAN
It will not drop but stay at what ever height you are at from where you took off.
Welcome to the forum.

I would highly suggest you read the online manual and
watch some YouTube videos before you get to adventureist.

Reactions: Porky
The altitude is in reference to the take off point, so nothing different will happen just because you fly over a cliff. If you actually descend below the cliff, the device will start showing a negative altitude since you are below your takeoff point.

The altitude is in reference to the take off point, so nothing different will happen just because you fly over a cliff. If you actually descend below the cliff, the device will start showing a negative altitude since you are below your takeoff point.

Yup. As dawgpilot says, the height is always in relation to the starting point where you launch the drone from.

Also be weary of flying off cliffs due to wind shears and gusts (best not to fly off too close to the ground, at least on the first pass just in case your drone gets flipped upside down)

Yup. As dawgpilot says, the height is always in relation to the starting point where you launch the drone from.

Also be weary of flying off cliffs due to wind shears and gusts (best not to fly off too close to the ground, at least on the first pass just in case your drone gets flipped upside down)

Welcome to the forum @highwind don’t like your name.... “calm wind”would have been better for our hobby:):)

Hi son perhaps his name stems from a medical problem

Newbie here. Mavic Air just out of the box and a couple of practice sessions on beginner setting.
Question is if I am standing at the top of an ocean cliff and launch the Air and it goes out over the cliff and the height from sea level is say 150 metres how will it react given the maximum height is set at 30m?
Will it just drop down to 30m above the ocean?
How would you design a drone to work when it's flown over a cliff edge?
btw, your Mavic has no way to know where sea level is and no way to know how high it is above the ground.
All it knows about altitude is how high above or below the home point it is.

Not sure why you would be in beginner mode and flying risky maneuvers like flying off a cliff. Maybe that was just a theoretical question?

I believe that was all it was .

Reactions: Porky
Not sure why you would be in beginner mode and flying risky maneuvers like flying off a cliff.
I'm not sure why you'd think flying over a cliff edge is particularly risky.
The only potential concern would be gusty updrafts if it's windy and that would be obvious if it was an issue.

I'm not sure why you'd think flying over a cliff edge is particularly risky.
The only potential concern would be gusty updrafts if it's windy and that would be obvious if it was an issue.

Well as a total beginner with my MA I had a couple panic episodes when I lost connection because of WiFi issues and once when my phone disconnected from the RC. It was beneficial that I was practicing in a 10 acre open field so I had time and space in a relatively calm environment to learn how to react to those situations. Cliff diving might cause a crash into the cliff if you panic and overcompensate.

I think learning to fly anything should be done in steps from easy and safe to more challenging and possibly unsafe environments.

Dozens of posts here about people overcompensating when their drone has a little issue that’s all.

It’s his drone and if he wants to fly it off a cliff that’s up to him. I practiced for a few flights before I started having the drone go off where I couldn’t easily and readily retrieve it.

Happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User711