DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maybe the MiniPro3 is the wrong drone to start with?

I took @Yorkshire_Pud. advice and waited out the M3P teething issues. I just ordered one with the RC-N1 controller. One extended battery and a 30W charger, landing pad and a clamp for my Samsung Tab6 tablet. Studying now for my Part 107 so I can help out with my local SAR unit. Sort of what I did previously for a living, but this time with my feet on the ground instead of tail rotor pedals. Looking forward to this new chapter in my flying experiences.

I took @Yorkshire_Pud. advice and waited out the M3P teething issues. I just ordered one with the RC-N1 controller. One extended battery and a 30W charger, landing pad and a clamp for my Samsung Tab6 tablet. Studying now for my Part 107 so I can help out with my local SAR unit. Sort of what I did previously for a living, but this time with my feet on the ground instead of tail rotor pedals. Looking forward to this new chapter in my flying experiences.
What sort of organization do you anticipate doing SAR work with?

I started out in my 20's building and flying sailplanes as well I also have a few helis myself. My first drone was a Mavic Mini, then a Mavic Air 2, and now a M3P. I thought the MM was good to learn the basics at a reasonable cost, got bored with it after a few months. MA2 different story, lots of power, really love this drone. M3P, lots of power, really love this drone, lol. It took a long time for me trust this type of flying, but I'm comfortable with it now.
As a side note after I ordered my M3P I actually let it sit in the box unopened for 6 long weeks. Man, that's so unlike me, but I guess I was unsure whether this was the drone for me. I can tell you now that I do think it's awesome in the power and speed dept. It feels so comfortable to fly, a bit touchy sometimes though, but amazing for it's size. In hindsight I should have opened it the day I got it, great drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDubyaM
What sort of organization do you anticipate doing SAR work with?
Our local county Sheriff's volunteer SAR team, of which I'm already a member.

Reactions: MS Coast
Since I can't edit the title of this thread, I can at least note here that the M3P appears to be exactly what I needed. Seeing as I have a pretty good background in this stuff, I broke the " never make your 1st flight indoors" rule but, all is good. With winds 22G30 outside, I took it out in my RV garage with a 20' ceiling and with 21 satellites for it's maiden flight. Very responsive, stable with the camera controls intuitive, Yada, Yada. I'm surprised how small this package is and foresee taking it along on my dirt & ADV bike trips, etc. I'm definitely hanging around here to continue learning, but right now I need to get back to my Part 107 prep. 😉

Reactions: rwilliam99
It seems to me that with DJI the wisest course is to wait out the initial rush and do not be a paying-for-the-privilge 'beta tester'.
Pffffffft! Having it and playing with it at the earliest opportunity has much value to many of us... The honest among us just get Care Refresh, and don't complain about teething problems 😁

Pffffffft! Having it and playing with it at the earliest opportunity has much value to many of us... The honest among us just get Care Refresh, and don't complain about teething problems 😁
ROFLMAO ....... then there are a lot of 'dishonest' people about.
I would suggest that if it weren't for these 'dishonest' people DJI would have to have a much more extensive testing regime before product release, these 'dishonest' people are beta testers, paying for the privilege of being so.

ROFLMAO ....... then there are a lot of 'dishonest' people about.
I would suggest that if it weren't for these 'dishonest' people DJI would have to have a much more extensive testing regime before product release, these 'dishonest' people are beta testers, paying for the privilege of being so.
There is one inescapable law of psychology as firm as gravity in physics: Actions speak louder than words.

I give little credence to complaints by early adopters.

As an EA, I don't complain about missing features, or bugs. I expect them.

I think my attitude is somewhat tempered by a career as an engineer (now retired). That lifetime experience tends to make me somewhat impressed these darn things work at all 🤣🤣

Reactions: Joe Horn
Oh, and just to add, once you get a look inside at the Frankenstein construction the software is running on the drone... Open Source Linux, with a Christmas Tree of lights an decorations hung on it like no other...

Oh, and just to add, once you get a look inside at the Frankenstein construction the software is running on the drone... Open Source Linux, with a Christmas Tree of lights an decorations hung on it like no other...
Are you saying it is possible to look at the programming on a DJI drone, if so how?

Are you saying it is possible to look at the programming on a DJI drone, if so how?
If you mean source code, no.

However the large scale structure (i.e. logical "parts" of the system, seperate firmware modules for each, like Flight Controller, GPS, Vision System,etc.), yes. How? The answer to that is beyond the understanding of most here, and somewhat lengthy... I'm not going to get in to it here.

Google the hacking activities on DJI drones. If you have a software engineering background, you’ll be able to figure it out with what you can find on-line. If not, it will mostly be babble. It's very technical.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom