DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Media today - we must register - isn't this done before first flight?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all,
I see in the media in the UK they are saying that all drones must be registered, isn't this mandatory before the maiden flight anyway?

There are now new UK CAA drone regulations for 2021, which are complex and permit us to continue in the ‘Open’ category .
You must now register ALL drones with cameras with CAA and get a flyer ID, even if you are in the uber lightweight <250grm category.
For those >250grms ( but not the heavies such as Inspire) that wish to fly near people or over properties or within 150m of built up areas you must now train and get an A2 CofC certificate. That certificate allows 30m from uninvolved persons or 5m in low speed mode , which is actually generous ! Also permits flights over uninvolved persons , but of course not assemblies of persons .
>250grms and without A2 CofC puts you in A3 category ‘far from people (50m) ‘ cannot overfly people and 150m from properties .
(I do not want to be A3, so am currently studying for my A2 CofC for my Mavic Pro 2)
Note to make matters worse , all legacy drones will be A3 from December 2022

They way I have read the rules you need an operator ID and an optional flyer ID for sub 250g but I stand to be corrected!

They way I have read the rules you need an operator ID and an optional flyer ID for sub 250g but I stand to be corrected!
I’m still studying , so stand to be corrected, but no . AFAIK if < 250g you only need operator ID and Flyer if a camera is fitted. That is a rule change for 2021.

There are now new UK CAA drone regulations for 2021, which are complex and permit us to continue in the ‘Open’ category .
You must now register ALL drones with cameras with CAA and get a flyer ID, even if you are in the uber lightweight <250grm category.
For those >250grms ( but not the heavies such as Inspire) that wish to fly near people or over properties or within 150m of built up areas you must now train and get an A2 CofC certificate. That certificate allows 30m from uninvolved persons or 5m in low speed mode , which is actually generous ! Also permits flights over uninvolved persons , but of course not assemblies of persons .
>250grms and without A2 CofC puts you in A3 category ‘far from people (50m) ‘ cannot overfly people and 150m from properties .
(I do not want to be A3, so am currently studying for my A2 CofC for my Mavic Pro 2)
Note to make matters worse , all legacy drones will be A3 from December 2022
I might be reading it wrong but this link says for sub 250 with a camera, operator ID yes, flyer ID no (buts it’s free anyway)

Looks like you are correct for UK in 2021 ; <250g, not a toy, with a camera , need CAA Operator ID but not a flyer ID

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom