DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Messed up the gimbal?

oreddie

Reactions
I flew my Mavic 2 Pro for the second time today. I'm out on the Oregon coast and thought the beach the perfect open space to learn basic flying skills. Problem - I left the gimbal cover on during first 4 minute flight. I didn't see the overload warning for a few minutes as I was too focused on flying line of sight (watching the drone instead of the controller).

I don't know if that's the reason for subsequent flight's video flaws but they are shaky, really terrible compared to first flight at home. Winds were less than 10 knots; videos taken at home in 15+ knot winds were solid but these are terrible.

In Beginner and Tripod Mode, Auto for everything on the camera. I calibrated compass because of location change but not the IMU.

Thoughts? and thanks!

Post a video and tape some ribbon to your gimbal cover.

I can't tell you if it's broken or not but find something to attach to your gimbal cover like a big bright sticker so that you will never forget again. Not only will you probably notice it just because of that, but even if you don't, your video feed will be black and you will notice then for sure.

Reactions: ff22
Many thanks for the suggestions. I've posted a short video clip on YouTube and attached a Remove Before Flight streamer to the cover.

I haven't found a gimbal calibration setting yet but plan to do an IMU calibration and try flying again later today.

Did you power the drone off and on before going for the next flight? Gimbal likely disabled itself becasue of the blockage and needs a power cycle to be working again.

Reactions: oreddie
Just taped ribbons on my two protectors. I flew the other day and was trying to tilt the gimbal and it wouldn't tilt and it wouldn't tilt but it zoomed. Suddenly I realized that I had not removed the gimbal cover - AGAIN!!!

Thats going to cause damage if this becomes chronic. BD0G seaches in cabinet for crystal ball. Oh there it is. Man its dusty. Dusts off crystal ball and waves hands over the top and sides.

Hmm, ooooh very troubling. I predict future "gimbal overload warnings" and non functional gimbal motor(s)

Reactions: Former Member
I feel your pain, man! I've got about 4 flights on my Air, and I've powered up with the gimbal protector on twice! (never tried to fly it though, and, so far, the gimbal has not been damaged). My battery is on the bottom right next to the protector, so I don't think you can do what I have, but just a couple of ideas...
IMG_2485.jpg
This was my 1st attempt to remind myself - didn't stop me from doing it again.
IMG_2486.jpg
This is what I have now - just taped a piece of a propeller to the protector to cover the power button. I have to flip the hinge on the protector up to insert the battery, but no big deal. I'll glue this if it works, but I'd rather buy a protector with a little plastic extension if I could find one!

Reactions: oreddie
Thats going to cause damage if this becomes chronic. BD0G seaches in cabinet for crystal ball. Oh there it is. Man its dusty. Dusts off crystal ball and waves hands over the top and sides.

Hmm, ooooh very troubling. I predict future "gimbal overload warnings" and non functional gimbal motor(s)

I find my Magic 8 Ball to be quite accurate as well.

8 ball.png

Reactions: BD0G
I finally got to fly briefly today - gale force winds and heavy rain on the Oregon coast kept me grounded until I returned home to central Oregon yesterday. All is well with the gimbal on a short test flight. Had problems with Mag Interfer that was likely due to change in location after my return home. Compass calibration eliminated the error and a short indoor flight produced flawless video. Many thanks for suggestions. All my batteries and the controller now bear stickers reminding to remove gimbal cover before powering on.

Reactions: ff22 and BD0G
Did you power the drone off and on before going for the next flight? Gimbal likely disabled itself becasue of the blockage and needs a power cycle to be working again.

hey, when you say blockage, could blockage be the reason my gimbal will not move at calibration. it’s not stuck, i do get video feed, and i get no error messages at start up. i’m able to take off and fly, but the camera is facing down and flails around with any movement while in flight. ive had the 2 for about a year now and do my best to take care of my equipment. idk if it’s appropriate that i asked this question in this thread, but thank you in advance.

hey, when you say blockage, could blockage be the reason my gimbal will not move at calibration. it’s not stuck, i do get video feed, and i get no error messages at start up. i’m able to take off and fly, but the camera is facing down and flails around with any movement while in flight. ive had the 2 for about a year now and do my best to take care of my equipment. idk if it’s appropriate that i asked this question in this thread, but thank you in advance.
I think starting a new thread would get you more answers. I have a Mavic pro and had symptoms like you describe after a crash. Turned out to be a torn gimbal ribbon caused by the gimbal mount failure. Replaced them both and now good to go. Good luck on yours.

Reactions: supershark.e

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki