DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Metal towers

PoonDog

Reactions
OK, I admit that I am in fact an , almost, 75 year old noobie and I ask stupid questions then forget what I asked. Anyway, there is a de comissioned paper mill in my town and ther are a bunch of really cool steel towers and tanks. I was going to fly up , get a better look and shoot some pictures, but I am not sure if all the steel will cause interfierance. Thot I would ask before I act and that is unusual for me.Cant afford to throw my air away by being stupid.
Thanks

I am not sure if all the steel will cause interfierance.
Steel towers might cause magnetic interference ... but only if you get 2-3 feet away.
They won't cause signal interference.

Thats what I thought, but I wanted to meke sure. Thanks for your help.

I fly a Mavic Pro and two Mavic Platinums very close to radio towers often with a lot of transmitters and have never had a single problem, not even a minor glitch. So far have done it near FM broadcast antennas, but no TV. I bet you'll be fine.

Attachments

• bercut 700 MHz antenna move.jpg
    bercut 700 MHz antenna move.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Bill Ludwig
There are DJI drones that they sell to energy companies for powerline inspection so those must be subect to some interesting magnetic fields. Why not fly your Mavic Air at low level between metal structures - dustbins, bollards or the neighbours' cars? That should test out the metal will do no harm theory! (66 year old noob waiting for the wind to drop so I can play with my new Mavic outside)

Reactions: PoonDog
There are DJI drones that they sell to energy companies for powerline inspection so those must be subect to some interesting magnetic fields. Why not fly your Mavic Air at low level between metal structures - dustbins, bollards or the neighbours' cars? That should test out the metal will do no harm theory! (66 year old noob waiting for the wind to drop so I can play with my new Mavic outside)
Nice to know that there are other decrepit old guys in the forum trying just one more learning experience.

...Why not fly your Mavic Air at low level between metal structures - dustbins, bollards or the neighbours' cars? That should test out the metal will do no harm theory!...
Be very careful with that test and be prepared to accept the price of failure. Getting too close to metal may screw with the compass (unlikely, but possible) and going low level between metal structures may screw with the compass, cause loss of GPS, and cause loss if signal. Of course you would have to get very close to metal for compass problems, lose a large part of the sky for GPS problems, and lose LOS for connection problems but if testing extremes be prepared for unexpected flight movements.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000