DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mexico Drone Laws

smalt0141

Reactions
I will be heading for Puerto Vallarta soon. Has anybody had any experiences bringing a drone to Mexico and than what are the rules as far as flying the drone. I have read that only Mexican citizens can fly a drone. Is there any way around this?

Thanks and have a Merry Xmas/Happy New Year

I will be heading for Puerto Vallarta soon. Has anybody had any experiences bringing a drone to Mexico and than what are the rules as far as flying the drone. I have read that only Mexican citizens can fly a drone. Is there any way around this?

Thanks and have a Merry Xmas/Happy New Year
I guess there’s always the search function......

or........

Reactions: old man mavic
@smalt0141 .... While it appears that many visitors to Mexico fly their drones, Mexican drone law is clear: you must be a Mexican citizen to legally register and fly your drone. Here’s a reference with other info too... be sure to read the entire page... first part is a bit misleading.

Mexico has a no camera rules on Military bases and most airports are military bases and saying that, I have used my camera (phone) without thinking and have had no dire results. I haven't flown a drone in Puerto Vallarta but I have in other Mexican towns and city's. I'm sure you could always cross the wrong person, but Mexicans are hospitable and friendly people and Puerto Vallarta would be a beautiful place to fly a drone. Go for it.

As long as its any Mavic in a soft bag, you won't have any problems. Once you start packing a hard case with a Phantom, you will attract attention at customs.

This is a good post here:

While the post attracted its share of negative comments, the OP has a point.

As long as its any Mavic in a soft bag, you won't have any problems. Once you start packing a hard case with a Phantom, you will attract attention at customs.

This is a good post here:

While the post attracted its share of negative comments, the OP has a point.

This guys info is very inaccurate, you MUST be a Mexican citizen and registered to fly legally in Mexico. If you cross the wrong official you will lose your drone or possibly end up having to bribe a police officer.

All that being said sure many non-Mexican citizens fly over there all the time, you just must realize that you are at risk and at the mercy of whatever that particular official decides they want to do.

Note: My colleague has spent the last two years doing drone work for conservation efforts in Mexico... he has some good stories about getting his equipment across the boarder, even though they had permission from the Mexican government. Down there it's all about who you are personally dealing with...

Reactions: hiflyer201
@smalt0141 .... While it appears that many visitors to Mexico fly their drones, Mexican drone law is clear: you must be a Mexican citizen to legally register and fly your drone. Here’s a reference with other info too... be sure to read the entire page... first part is a bit misleading.

I did read that somewhere about Mexican citizens only, and another site that said it had been repealed in recent time.

But . . . it seems it should be further checked, this page with info updated 31/10/19 seems to say what you posted Thomas . . .

Maybe do email that link on UAV-Coach link, and ask first hand [email protected] . . . or phone them +52 5 687 7660

Reactions: Howard70
The laws and their enforcement in Mexico are nebulous. In Mexico, always have a $20.00 bill handy and ask the LEO if you can pay the fine to him (or her)

The laws and their enforcement in Mexico are nebulous. In Mexico, always have a $20.00 bill handy and ask the LEO if you can pay the fine to him (or her)
An alternative possibility is to investigate the laws yourself. I find them easily as clear as those of the USA and am convinced I’ll not fly my current drone (Mavic Air 2) in Mexico. As for the $20 bill suggestion - why assume it is OK to offer a bribe but a sign of criminal tendencies to accept one? I’d say any bribe involves two evasions of the law and both are equally onerous.

Howard

As for the $20 bill suggestion - why assume it is OK to offer a bribe but a sign of criminal tendencies to accept one? I’d say any bribe involves two evasions of the law and both are equally onerous.
The above is based on actual encounters and the reality of law enforcement in Mexico. "Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges."

Reactions: Howard70

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu