DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Michigan: Can You Fly on Public School Property Legally?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
I would like to know if anyone knows if it's "legal to fly" on public school property in Michigan? I'm talking about flying in their fields on weekends and/or during the summer months when school is out. Also, not flying during any sports or other activities going on. Any pertinent information would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

As far as legality goes I am uncertain. I fly at a local school field in Nevada during similar times and hours. I just told the guy that is the maintenance supervisor that I bumped into that I would be flying here. He had no objections and told me to be safe. I have his name so if someone confronts me I can say that he gave me permission.

Yes, as long as the school is not located in controlled airspace (near a towered airport) or otherwise restricted by the faa, like an active Tfr.

Michigan has a drone preemption law that prevents any government entity other than the legislature or faa from making or enforcing any rules related to the possession or operation of unmanned aircraft. You can fly on any public property in Michigan except the state Capitol and federal parks.

Reactions: Van Shteffy
Here is the text of the law:

1) Except as expressly authorized by statute, a political subdivision shall not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution that regulates the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft or otherwise engage in the regulation of the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft.

Reactions: Van Shteffy
As far as legality goes I am uncertain. I fly at a local school field in Nevada during similar times and hours. I just told the guy that is the maintenance supervisor that I bumped into that I would be flying here. He had no objections and told me to be safe. I have his name so if someone confronts me I can say that he gave me permission.

Thanks for the reply....... Sounds like a good idea to at the least get a name you can fall back on. Thanks again, Ray :)

Here is the text of the law:

1) Except as expressly authorized by statute, a political subdivision shall not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution that regulates the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft or otherwise engage in the regulation of the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft.

Appears that it shouldn't be a problem as you stated above. When you stated "As long as the school is not located in controlled airspace (near a towered airport)" are you saying for example; Not within 5 miles of Bishop Airport here in Flint? I would also assume, don't even bother calling them. Thanks for the info. Ray :)

If you are standing on their property, you need to follow their rules. So you need to find out from them if they allow it.

If you are standing on their property, you need to follow their rules. So you need to find out from them if they allow it.

While this is true for private property, public property is different. The state legislature says that other government agencies in the state are prohibited from Regulating drones. So if the school had a policy that forbids drones, you can still fly there as the school is the one violating the state law.

Appears that it shouldn't be a problem as you stated above. When you stated "As long as the school is not located in controlled airspace (near a towered airport)" are you saying for example; Not within 5 miles of Bishop Airport here in Flint? I would also assume, don't even bother calling them. Thanks for the info. Ray :)

No on the contrary I suggest calling the tower and indicating your intentions. You can find out if you are in a No Fly Zone by either launching the DJI GO4 app from the proposed fly location and it will alert you if you are within 5 miles of an airport and not allow you to fly. You may alternately check the GEO Map that DJI provides online here https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map. If you want to fly in that airspace and have informed the tower first you may unlock that No Fly Zone by using DJI's Website https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

The Self Unlock will allow flight for a period of 3 consecutive 24 hour days. If you need more you can simply request more in 3 day blocks.

Do you have the before u fly app? If not, you should download it. It shows you all of the airports within a 5 mile radius.

If you are a hobbiest, you can call even a towered airport like bishop and inform them you want to fly. They may indicate that you cannot fly due to safety of the nas.

The small circle indicates controlled airspace from the surface to 4800 feet. I they are unlikely to allow you to fly here. The larger circle is not controlled airspace until you hit 2100 feet.

B1503DC3-16AD-45DF-9A9A-237F019FC63F.png

*Some Will argue that you are not requesting permission when you inform the airport you are intending to fly which means that air traffic control cannot deny your request. However, you are required to fly in a manner that does not pose a danger to manned aircraft and if ATC believes your flight is a danger, you will lose the argument every time.

No on the contrary I suggest calling the tower and indicating your intentions. You can find out if you are in a No Fly Zone by either launching the DJI GO4 app from the proposed fly location and it will alert you if you are within 5 miles of an airport and not allow you to fly. You may alternately check the GEO Map that DJI provides online here https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map. If you want to fly in that airspace and have informed the tower first you may unlock that No Fly Zone by using DJI's Website https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

The Self Unlock will allow flight for a period of 3 consecutive 24 hour days. If you need more you can simply request more in 3 day blocks.

OK...... I'm a newbie and now I'm really confused. :confused: I thought all I had to do was call an airport that is within a 5 mile radius and let them know where and how long I will be flying. Please correct me if I'm wrong, your statement above appears that I have to take it a step further or I'll be locked out to fly. I know I'm oblivious and "please" take it easy on me but, I need some further explanation/instruction on what I need to do other than call the airport. I'm only flying for recreational purposes as a hobby. I'd like to add, AirMap looks to be a good App also. Thanks, Ray :)

Do you have the before u fly app? If not, you should download it. It shows you all of the airports within a 5 mile radius.

If you are a hobbiest, you can call even a towered airport like bishop and inform them you want to fly. They may indicate that you cannot fly due to safety of the nas.

The small circle indicates controlled airspace from the surface to 4800 feet. I they are unlikely to allow you to fly here. The larger circle is not controlled airspace until you hit 2100 feet.

View attachment 38814
Thank you for explaining...... I don't have the before u fly app yet but, I do have the AirMap App. So I take it that outside of the inner circle there may be possibility that I could fly. I just received my Mavic Air and haven't had a chance to do anything yet with exception of charging everything up. My response to BD0G above #12 has me confused about getting approved. I didn't know the DJI GO4 App locks you out. I definitely need a better understanding of this. As you may know, I live in the Clio area in which I'm looking for somewhere to practice once I'm up and running. It's a little difficult due to all the private land around. Thanks for your help and have a great holiday weekend. Ray :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580