DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Boo illegal video. Michigan Stadium is a no fly Zone

Boo illegal video. Michigan Stadium is a no fly Zone

On game day, yes. On days it's not in use, it is not an illegal fly zone. It requires calling and notifying a few places, but there were not issues there. Quit trolling

I had permission from who I needed permission to fly legally, that's all I'm going to say lol, I've been flying for years and wouldn't fly in an area that I didn't get permission from.

Not true I work at the U of M and the whole campus is a no fly zone. And they are not giving waivers for non University projects.

See below

http://research.umich.edu/sites/def...nload/u-m_policy_on_operation_of_uas_v7.0.pdf

I suppose we shouldn't hijack this thread, but...

I'm a Buckeye, so take this with a grain of salt!!!

I think the above policy is vague, at best, and likely in conflict with the FAA. Statements like this are the ones that give me fits - "Outdoor use of UAS by anyone from, on, or over U-M Ann Arbor". The "from, on" part of that is no sweat. The University certainly has the ability to define how someone may use their property when that person (or, in this case their UAS) is physically on their property. No argument there at all.

But the "over" portion is a problem. That seems to conflict with the FAA authority. This policy seems to be saying "you can't fly over my property even if you are physically off my property as you control the UAS". That's in conflict with the FAA.

Plus, another thought... Michigan is a "no preemption" state. (That may be the wrong term). But they have 259.305 on the books that specifically says political subdivisions cannot preempt the state law, which is pretty **** awesome as far as UAS goes. Since UM is a public institution, I'd assume they'd fall under this law just like the Michigan State Parks do. More confusion....

The one thing that is clear, though, is Go Bucks!!

It's just frustrating and annoying. It's almost caused me to stop flying in general and posting because no matter what you post someone is going to try to troll it, example above. He doesn't know how much planning went into this project we're currently doing, but yet he wants to voice himself instead of just enjoying the video like we've intended for it to do.

I suppose we shouldn't hijack this thread, but...

I'm a Buckeye, so take this with a grain of salt!!!

I think the above policy is vague, at best, and likely in conflict with the FAA. Statements like this are the ones that give me fits - "Outdoor use of UAS by anyone from, on, or over U-M Ann Arbor". The "from, on" part of that is no sweat. The University certainly has the ability to define how someone may use their property when that person (or, in this case their UAS) is physically on their property. No argument there at all.

But the "over" portion is a problem. That seems to conflict with the FAA authority. This policy seems to be saying "you can't fly over my property even if you are physically off my property as you control the UAS". That's in conflict with the FAA.

Plus, another thought... Michigan is a "no preemption" state. (That may be the wrong term). But they have 259.305 on the books that specifically says political subdivisions cannot preempt the state law, which is pretty **** awesome as far as UAS goes. Since UM is a public institution, I'd assume they'd fall under this law just like the Michigan State Parks do. More confusion....

The one thing that is clear, though, is Go Bucks!!

More confusion....I agree. And I will see you

Saturday
Nov. 24

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven