DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Microlights and rules

Whitefalcon

Reactions
Hello,
Wondered if there were any microlight flyers out there from the UK who could answer a question. I'm curious as to the rules re height. I live close to a local landmark (a castle on a hill). It appears to be a beacon for every microlight flyer in this part of England (I presume it's used as some kind of waypoint). I know about parallax etc but I had not really registered how low these microlights were flying until I got my drone and flew it up to 100m. The microlights appear to be flying at or below that height sometimes.
Are microlights exempt from the manned aircraft rules of a minimum height of 500ft? Just curious as it's quite quiet at the moment but I assume the usual "moths around a lightbulb" will be back as lockdown is easing and I'll be up and down like a yo-yo avoiding this lot.

Are microlights exempt from the manned aircraft rules of a minimum height of 500ft?
Is your assumption about a minimum altitude requirement for aircraft correct?
in the UK, the "500 ft Rule" allows pilots to fly below 500 ft as long as they are no closer than 500 ft to any person, vessel, vehicle, building or structure

Reactions: Haggar and bumper
Is your assumption about a minimum altitude requirement for aircraft correct?
in the UK, the "500 ft Rule" allows pilots to fly below 500 ft as long as they are no closer than 500 ft to any person, vessel, vehicle, building or structure
Essentially the same as the USA, though probably in both, separation is more for densely populated areas and outdoor gatherings etc. Still, manned aircraft can fly below 500' in many areas and unmanned aircraft must always yield right of way.

I find that yr ears provide the best warning. You can usually hear the familiar buzz of a microlight (sounds like a motor mower) or the beat of a helicopter before you see them. I make a hasty retreat if I get these sounds. But also a good idea to check the vfr charts beforehand to see if there are small aérodromes nearby. They often fly below 500’. This is a common problem in canada.

As a British pilot flying GA and Microlights over the years, I can tell you that all aircraft, including Microlights are allowed to fly below 500ft if they are in an open uncontrolled area. They still can't overfly anything at low altitude, so you probably won't or should not find them skimming over the castle at low altitude, they would be buzzing around it. As has been said, you'll hear them before seeing them, they can fly up to about 100mph but you will hear them long before they get close to you. And if you are upwind on a strong wind day, then you would not hear them as soon, but then probably not flying your drone i those winds anyway.

Reactions: Haggar
I live approximately 7 miles from R.A.F Shawbury in an flat area approximately 6 miles x 3 miles and is used by helicopters from the base to provide training for pilots. The area is not a restricted area for any flying, full size or drone size but it is disconcerting to have them flying around below 120 ft. How do I know its below this height? Because 150 yds away is a wind turbine with the tip of the blades reaching 150ft. Regularly they will regularly overfly my property and it can be a scramble to get the drone down before a helicopter comes thundering across. I am loathe to complain in case the RAF extend their exclusion zone and I can no longer fly from my own property. My nearest neighbours are over 1/2 mile away.
I doubt whether my insurance would cover the cost of a downed helicopter!

I’d be surprised if any of these manned a/c are flying below 500‘ unless your in a low level flight training area or takeoff/landing area. But again would be surprised if any houses are located in LLFT areas. Special training areas are normally restricted airspace. Have u checked the VFR charts? I’d contact the base anyway and ask, if your flying legally it would seem like a mutually beneficial exchange.

Thanks all,
I live on the outskirts of a village and there is a large sports club underneath the flightpath. It doesn't seem to deter the microlights though if the gatherings aspect is applied. if anything it becomes a point of interest for them to come and have look at en route to the castle. And yes, I can definitely hear them and presume they must be deaf being that close to the racket.
I realise I'm beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew . Maybe I should do what I've done with taking up drone flying and go the whole hog and get myself a microlight. They do look quite fun.

Thanks all,
I live on the outskirts of a village and there is a large sports club underneath the flightpath. It doesn't seem to deter the microlights though if the gatherings aspect is applied. if anything it becomes a point of interest for them to come and have look at en route to the castle. And yes, I can definitely hear them and presume they must be deaf being that close to the racket.
I realise I'm beginning to sound like Victor Meldrew . Maybe I should do what I've done with taking up drone flying and go the whole hog and get myself a microlight. They do look quite fun.
You should go for an introductory flight, most flight schools offer that. You will be amazed, it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Reactions: Whitefalcon
Whitefalco, if you like down to earth films (I mean you hate Netflix in general) then you should try to see the film The Man Who wanted to Fly. None professional actors but you might relate :) It is a true story with the real life characters The Man Who Wanted To Fly

Reactions: Adolf
Whitefalco, if you like down to earth films (I mean you hate Netflix in general) then you should try to see the film The Man Who wanted to Fly. None professional actors but you might relate :) It is a true story with the real life characters The Man Who Wanted To Fly
And that old classic... "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines".

Reactions: Thomas B
I’d be surprised if any of these manned a/c are flying below 500‘ unless your in a low level flight training area or takeoff/landing area. But again would be surprised if any houses are located in LLFT areas. Special training areas are normally restricted airspace. Have u checked the VFR charts? I’d contact the base anyway and ask, if your flying legally it would seem like a mutually beneficial exchange.U

Unfortunately most of your suggestions do not apply. Firstly my cottage was built 200 years before R.A.F Shawbury was established. Secondly, I know that they fly at low level as they use a wind turbine which is 200mts from my boundary as a maker and the blades at their highest point is less than 40 mts high.When you can see clearly the pilots faces in the cockpit then they are well below 75 mts. Thirdly the no fly zone the details of which are freely available extend out from the base but stop short of my property by at least 6kms. Fourthly my cottage is regularly used as a marker when they are doing low level runs and the roof of my conservatory is rattled to the point that it regularly requires attention. Fifthly, most of the training done at the base is now done by contractors, not serving R.A.F personel although they use R.A.F aircraft. Also the pilots being trained are principally from other countries.
How do I know this? The model aircraft club to which I belong is regularly invited to use the base for flying days. The base has its own model aircraft club and our conversations with its members confirm these details.
Sixthly I have been warned that if I complain to the management of the base they will just extend the "no fly" zone and they don't have to consult anyone. That would prevent my flying from my own property completely
As an aside approximately 1.5 kms from my cottage is a large Eire owned, meat processing plant. The directors of the company regularly fly, by helicopter, in from the west of Eire two or three times a month but the management of the plant will always telephone me to warn me when an arrival is expected. I never fly my drone when their helicopter is expected.

Unfortunately most of your suggestions do not apply. Firstly my cottage was built 200 years before R.A.F Shawbury was established

Did you buy your house before the airfield was built?, or somehow not notice it was there before you moved in?

Secondly, I know that they fly at low level as they use a wind turbine which is 200mts from my boundary as a maker and the blades at their highest point is less than 40 mts high.When you can see clearly the pilots faces in the cockpit then they are well below 75 mts.
The whole of Shropshire is a dedicated low flying area (LFA 9) for Shawbury-based helicopters:

As a consequence, they can legally fly around well below 500ft. There are still plenty of military flying instructors (and not just RAF) at Shawbury and their core training task is directed towards British military pilots, not those from foreign air forces.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu