DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military aircraft got ADB-S or not?

I have to deal with potential run-ins with military aircraft every time I takeoff from my property. B4UFLY shows a caution with the advisory "A-685". The FAA sectional chart for A-685 shows aircraft 0-700 AGL from sunrise to sunset. It's a very rare occurrence, but I have seen a couple of fighter jets flying at mountain top level over the past 3 years. Low and fast with 0 time to react. I hear the whoosh for about 2 seconds.

1607203705607.png

FlightRadar24, but its unlikely military aircraft are visible there. Unfortunately (for you) the safest thing for you to do is pick a better place to fly where you aren't at risk of hitting manned aircraft.
Thanks - FlightRadar24 doesn't show these buzzards. My indications are hearing them take-off at some point during the day, then I know they will appear sooner or later when returning. On those days, I stay under the tree line. I tune into the tower frequency and listen for any communication. Also, most of the time it is too windy for the MM. I fly most of the time out at my rural property, where there are no planes, no houses, no people...

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hey,
I have the same problem here (Brazil). I live very close to a Naval Air Base and choppers fly around constantly, but they are slow and can be seen/heard with enough lead time to move the bird out of their way... But, some of the fighter jets come in so low and so fast, that I only see them once they are right on top of me. And, yes, they are skimming the tree-tops coming into landing. Is there any app that could detect this and let me know a few seconds in advance?
Thanks
There is radar that would detect and warn you of approaching military jets. However usually it comes with surface to air missiles attached and the Military would see the radar signal as a hostile act... flying a drone would be the least of your worries :)

It depends...
Here in the UK I use a service similar to Flightradar which shows military. Some military aircraft show up (mainly tankers, C130s etc) but fighter jets like the USAF F15s and our F35s often don't show up, even when MLAT'd as they use a different type of system.
Short answer (at least in the UK) is, it's unlikely the MA2 will pick up a signal from a lot of military, especially low-flying fast jets... but then we don't get airsense anyway!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters