DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military aircraft got ADB-S or not?

Fadly

Reactions
Just saw a jet fighter flew over my head this morning. It flew at very low altitude, almost at treetop level. I didn't fly my drone that time, but it had me thinking. The jet flew so fast, that I only hear it when it was almost on top of me. If I fly my drone that time and the drone somehow in the collision path of the jet, it's likely that I may not have enough time to react. So I do hope that the jet got ADB-S so that the Airsense can detect it and give me early warning.

The military has plans to equip a decent percentage of their aircraft with ADS-B, but not all. Last published numbers I saw, they were a ways off, with only a quarter or so equipped. Also, military aircraft are allowed to turn ADS-B off. I would think/hope though the ones likely to have it, and have it on, would be the ones flying in typical commercial airspace in the US. May have to wait until later this year for them to get it more fully rolled out though.

I was flying on the beach this past weekend and the ADS-B alerted me to aircraft in the area and two Apaches flew over, but when they flew back I didn't get the alert, I also had it go off for a couple Chinooks and Backhawks that flew nearby circled in the area and left, so I'm thinking some of their helicopters have them.

I was alerted near an Air force base for some aircraft but not all. But I can say with confidence that even though it seemed low, it was not in your airspace. Assuming you were following the rules and not over 400ft.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I was alerted near an Air force base for some aircraft but not all. But I can say with confidence that even though it seemed low, it was not in your airspace. Assuming you were following the rules and not over 400ft.
I wasn't even at 100 feet, I'd say they were at 2000-2500.vlcsnap-2020-06-11-18h03m44s735.png

1000 feet is pretty low for a jet. I am near Buckley and they come in low and fast but they aren’t “tree top” (<100’) but it feels like it... probably 2,500’.... I’d also say they are 2,000’ past you before you even hear them
It depends where you are....
RAF at 250 feet 400+ knots in lumpy terrain. To be fair although this is inhabited country side it is a designated RAF lo fly zone and going over some of the passes is less than 200 foot clearance.

View from the ground

It's not just fast jets.

Our local Coast Guard helicopter has not shown up on Flightradar24, which uses ADB-S.
Air Station Humboldt Bay 40.975937, -124.112774

Yesterday early evening a helicopter AGAIN flew over my home at about 200 feet. Didn’t show up in Air Sense. Didn’t show up on Flightradar24. I always have my head on a swivel for these pesky copters??

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
A helicopter occasionally flies over my property just above tree top level, skims barely above my garage roof, then lands on my lawn.

Last edited:
Reactions: suade8880
For military aircraft, it depends on the country and service, as well as the model a/c. For newer birds, especially transports and those based off of civilian designs, ADS-B Out is becoming more common. But for older a/c, especially fighters and other tactical, reconnaissance and older model a/c, they often don't spend the money and/or don't have the excess room and payload to add new avionics. But ADS-B sets are fairly small and light, so becoming more common.

Pull up the sectional charts for where you live on skyvector.com and see if the military conducts training exercises near where you live or fly

Hey,
I have the same problem here (Brazil). I live very close to a Naval Air Base and choppers fly around constantly, but they are slow and can be seen/heard with enough lead time to move the bird out of their way... But, some of the fighter jets come in so low and so fast, that I only see them once they are right on top of me. And, yes, they are skimming the tree-tops coming into landing. Is there any app that could detect this and let me know a few seconds in advance?
Thanks

Hey,
I have the same problem here (Brazil). I live very close to a Naval Air Base and choppers fly around constantly, but they are slow and can be seen/heard with enough lead time to move the bird out of their way... But, some of the fighter jets come in so low and so fast, that I only see them once they are right on top of me. And, yes, they are skimming the tree-tops coming into landing. Is there any app that could detect this and let me know a few seconds in advance?
Thanks

FlightRadar24, but its unlikely military aircraft are visible there. Unfortunately (for you) the safest thing for you to do is pick a better place to fly where you aren't at risk of hitting manned aircraft.

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan