DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 1 or Mini 2 For First Drone

Based on all the info I've read, watched on YT and the great feedback / input on this forum, I've decided to go with the M2 fly more combo plus a one year Refresh and the prop guards. Certainly not a cheap entry into this hobby but at least I should end up with something that will give me a good starting point and quality equipment that should provide for a pleasant initial experience. Not a frustrating experience because I bought a cheapo drone with all kinds of issues. Who knows, this setup may be exactly what I want and won't want or need to upgrade.

Now I need to place my order, get the IPhone from my daughter, download the Fly App and start reading the operating instructions. I suspect there will be a LOT of info to digest.

Thanks everyone.

Newbie here looking to get my first drone.

I've done a ton of reading, watching YouTube videos and reading posts about drones and the various rules and regs regarding flying one. I don't want to bother getting a license, so I've narrowed it down to a Mini 1 or Mini 2. The M2 seems to have a lot of improvements over the M1 but the one thing that draws me to the Mini 1 is the potential to get a Follow Me function with the Litchi app. From my reading, this is not available yet for the M2. I've also discovered that the Litchi app is not available on the Canadian App store. Maybe something on my end though, since my electronics are very old and they have old OS's. Does anyone know of a way to get a Follow Me function on the M2 or do you think it will become available through Litchi or some other app in the near future. I really want the Follow Me function but don't want to get a larger Drone.
It’s likely to do with your hardware/OS. I’m in Alberta and I have Litchi. I just confirmed that it is still available on the App Store as well. Also make sure to bind it to your account to obtain the newly added flyaway coverage if you buy Care Refresh. Here’s the link to the info/instructions:

Based on all the info I've read, watched on YT and the great feedback / input on this forum, I've decided to go with the M2 fly more combo plus a one year Refresh and the prop guards. Certainly not a cheap entry into this hobby but at least I should end up with something that will give me a good starting point and quality equipment that should provide for a pleasant initial experience. Not a frustrating experience because I bought a cheapo drone with all kinds of issues. Who knows, this setup may be exactly what I want and won't want or need to upgrade.

Now I need to place my order, get the IPhone from my daughter, download the Fly App and start reading the operating instructions. I suspect there will be a LOT of info to digest.

Thanks everyone.
You will absolutely love it, great images and videos but abide by the regulations. Bear in mind the prop guards while flying, it will not necessary show up on the app but will have more of an effect when windy although the additional power will help.

You have various modes, normal, photo and sport, the sport mode is very fast but helps when fighting the wind.

The control setup allows you to customise, set up the way you prefer and practice in an open space first. Also choose the frequency that has the least interference.

Lastly, Good luck and safe flying. Dont be tempted to allow it to travel too far out of site and you should always have visual.

Hi Hillbilly 1236. Being as your in Canada are you planning on ordering direct from DJI? There are a number of reputable company’s that sell DJI drones in Canada. If you do a search on line you will see them. I believe their prices are the same as DJI.
Just a thought. Happy shopping. You won’t be disappointed with your purchase I’m sure.

I agree that the Mini 2 Fly More Combo is the way to go but you need to consider one thing. You are really interested in having your drone follow you and your lovely wife on your side by side adventures,and that sounds like lots of fun and great videos. But remember the Mini 2 does not have obstacle avoidance. So say you are traveling along on one of your trails and you have the drone height set to say 75 feet. And all of a sudden unbeknownst to you a hundred foot tree gets in your drones way, you don’t realize it because you are on the ground in your side by side. All of a sudden crash and the possibility is the your drone is totaled. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: vindibona1
Anyone have experience with DronePoint in Canada. They say they are an authorized DJI reseller and I see they work out of their house. I've read some good reviews but they could be BS. I like their online store because it has a bunch of different combos and I can pick and choose the combo I like plus they have the prop guards that I find hard to locate elsewhere.

I'm aware of the downside of using follow me in the SxS and that is the main reason I'm getting the prop guards and the Refresh package for one year.

@Hillbilly1236 I'd like to add one more thing about registration/license regardless of where you live. You haven't yet experienced the joy and thrill of flying and filming. It's contagious and, trust me, one thing leads to another. I did have a cheap Chinese drone which lasted all of 2 days (for reasons I won't hijack the thread with). I recognized the limitation of it and went for a Mini 1 (now upgraded to Mini 2). Then realized the limitations of that and within a few weeks bought a Mavic 2 Pro and within a few months wanted to do more and went for my FAA Part 107 certification.

Being even "Pre-new" to the hobby you may not be aware of the political climate of the aeronautical agencies, but it seems they are now all pushing registration and some form of testing and it seems that they are unrelenting in adding more and more regulations, including testing. Think of this whole drone thing like "The Borg"... You will be assimilated.

And at some point you're most likely going to want to put a few accessories on your Mini,( whether it be the 1 or 2). Perhaps you'll want to add some strobes (strongly recommended) and/or leg extensions that will, with minimal add-ons, put you over the 249 gram limit and put you in the other category that requires some sort of registration. My Mini 2, with two small strobes (3.77 grams each) and some light leg extensions puts it at 266 grams. I also regularly fly with a lens hood adding almost 5 more grams to protect the gimbal in the event of inadvertant light forward contact. It doesn't take much to put you over the limit. But to get started the Mini 2 offers you the freedom to go unregistered and I don't think the Mini 1 is a good bet to save just a few dollars for a medium term investment. But don't think for a moment that in all liklihood registration isn't in your future. I suggest taking that into consideration as you go forward with your purchase.

Good luck.

Edit:

Anyone have experience with DronePoint in Canada. They say they are an authorized DJI reseller and I see they work out of their house. I've read some good reviews but they could be BS. I like their online store because it has a bunch of different combos and I can pick and choose the combo I like plus they have the prop guards that I find hard to locate elsewhere.

I'm aware of the downside of using follow me in the SxS and that is the main reason I'm getting the prop guards and the Refresh package for one year.
You do realize that even the lightest prop guards by themselves will put you over the 249 gram limit and require registration, right?

Last edited:

I’ve only used multirotorheli out of Calgary. Shopped in person and online at their store. Both were a good experience. Guys there were great to speak with and answered all my question. Online orders came quickly and well packaged.

Conventions:
M1 = original Mavic Pro
M2 = Mavic 2 series (M2Z, M2P, etc)
MM1 = original Mavic Mini
MM2 = Mavic Mini 2

Most modern phones and many carriers support WiFi calling. Something to think about. And the smarts can be used over WiFi too. I use my S20 FE all the time for almost everything I would have used a computer, and most of the time it's on WiFi rather than cell data.
What shall we watch tonight? Let's check the TV app.
How much to buy x? Let's check Amazon Shopping app or Google it.
What do the folks on Mavic Pilots got to say today? Let's go on their site with Google Chrome or get their app (not in Google Play anymore but the installer can be obtained somewhere)

All from the palm of your hand while on the couch.

I bought both of mine at London Drugs here in Abbotsford.Not sure if you have one local to you.I hope that your device is up to the task..

In regards to cost...It's way cheaper than golf and golf sucks lol

I have a 2012 Ipad Air that I thought might work but after some reading I don't think it will and I'm already looking at almost $1,000 for a hobby I may not really get into. So spending another $500 to $700 for a controller is not something I want to do. But I might be able to justify getting a new phone that I could use for the drone and occasionally, as a phone, when we are away from home.
@Hillbilly1236, don't throw out your iPad Air 2012. I have been using one and it works well, considering it has only 1 gig of ram. The larger screen of a tablet makes a huge difference on these old eyes. To test, try downloading the FLY app on your iPad 2012.

P.S. where in the Interior are you? I purchased my Mini Fly Combo at London Drugs - Kamloops last December.

@Hillbilly1236, don't throw out your iPad Air 2012. I have been using one and it works well, considering it has only 1 gig of ram. The larger screen of a tablet makes a huge difference on these old eyes. To test, try downloading the FLY app on your iPad 2012.

P.S. where in the Interior are you? I purchased my Mini Fly Combo at London Drugs - Kamloops last December.
I'm outside of Barriere. I've got a Mini 2 combo on hold at Visions. They have it on sale for $729 and today is the last day. But they don't have the prop guards and I don't want to fly without them until I get some experience with the drone. I might end up just getting the whole setup I want from DronePoint (another thread I have going).

As far as the weight issue is concerned, I only plan to use the prop guards while I learn to control the Drone. Once I get comfortable with the controls the guards will come off. I wont be flying this anywhere other than on my property, in the middle of an open area in the middle of my 130 acres. Nobody around to worry about other than some deer, squirrels and the likes. No flying higher than 50 ft or so and the trees around me are higher than that. So no concerns about flying objects.

It’s likely to do with your hardware/OS. I’m in Alberta and I have Litchi. I just confirmed that it is still available on the App Store as well. Also make sure to bind it to your account to obtain the newly added flyaway coverage if you buy Care Refresh. Here’s the link to the info/instructions:

Thanks for that. I will make sure to bind it when everything arrives.

I just ordered from DronePoint and got the MM2 fly more combo, prop guards, Refresh and a 64GB micro sd card. Should all arrive mid to late next week. An early birthday gift to myself. Sure beats getting clothes or some other boring gift.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Good news, I just downloaded the Fly app on my old IPad.

Question about the Fly app. Does it need to know my location to work properly? I turned it on but would prefer not to.

An early birthday gift to myself. Sure beats getting clothes or some other boring gift.
Happy early birthday! ?

Good news, I just downloaded the Fly app on my old IPad.

Question about the Fly app. Does it need to know my location to work properly? I turned it on but would prefer not to.
When you takeoff the drone can use its takeoff point or the GPS location of your mobile device to set home point. If you move from your take off position (for ex: flying from a moving vehicle or boat) the gps location of your mobile device can be used to set a new home point.

Reactions: Hillbilly1236
I have location setup “while using the app” that is one option. I cannot find any info on the effect, if any on having location turned off. Maybe try a google search.

Happy early birthday! ?

When you takeoff the drone can use its takeoff point or the GPS location of your mobile device to set home point. If you move from your take off position (for ex: flying from a moving vehicle or boat) the gps location of your mobile device can be used to set a new home point.
Perfect explanation and thanks.

As far as the weight issue is concerned, I only plan to use the prop guards while I learn to control the Drone. Once I get comfortable with the controls the guards will come off. I wont be flying this anywhere other than on my property, in the middle of an open area in the middle of my 130 acres. Nobody around to worry about other than some deer, squirrels and the likes. No flying higher than 50 ft or so and the trees around me are higher than that. So no concerns about flying objects.
I applaud your effort in trying to be as prepared as possible when your drone arrives. I think you'll be amazed what an incredible piece of technological equipment this drone is. The GPS techology built into the DJI drones makes flying extraordinarily easy, even for beginners. Truly the hardest part is initially going through the menus. The second hardest part is the initial familiarization of the controls and how the drone reacts to your input. I think you're going to be surprised at how easy it is to fly. Just start slowly with minimal height and movement until you get well aquainted with the drone's response to your stick input.

Whether you choose to register or not based on Canada's regs, I would encourage you to sit down and study the rules set out by your aviation department in depth nonetheless. You may find them helpful much sooner than you anticipate... and who knows where that might lead?

I applaud your effort in trying to be as prepared as possible when your drone arrives. I think you'll be amazed what an incredible piece of technological equipment this drone is. The GPS techology built into the DJI drones makes flying extraordinarily easy, even for beginners. Truly the hardest part is initially going through the menus. The second hardest part is the initial familiarization of the controls and how the drone reacts to your input. I think you're going to be surprised at how easy it is to fly. Just start slowly with minimal height and movement until you get well aquainted with the drone's response to your stick input.

Whether you choose to register or not based on Canada's regs, I would encourage you to sit down and study the rules set out by your aviation department in depth nonetheless. You may find them helpful much sooner than you anticipate... and who knows where that might lead?
Thanks for the complements. I've watched a ton of videos about the controls, and the Fly app, to get as familiar as possible, without actually having the drone in my possession. I suspect getting use to the controls and their sensitivity to movement will take some time and I plan to do that without using the Fly app initially (unless that is a bad idea). After I get somewhat comfortable with that part, I plan to focus on the Fly app features / functions and play with them. Lastly I will start using the video and pic capabilities.

I've thought about possibly getting a license but will wait until I get a sense of whether or not this is a hobby I will spend a bunch of time with or not. After the initial excitement and WOW wears off, I may find that this little drone is enough and / or it may not get used much. However if I get into this and decide I want a bigger and better drone I will certainly get a license and register the drone. I've already watched a video about the testing in Canada and how difficult it is. It was a very informative video and it was obvious that you need to study hard to pass it. This isn't some BS test like the one to get a boating license.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13