DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 1 upgrade to mini 2 worth it?

Drony_Drone

Reactions
I currently have a mini 1 and it’s fine although sometimes get loss of signal presume due to signal WiFi not as good as OS.

So there is a good deal on for mini 2 FM (I’m in UK), is the upgrade to mini 2 enough over mini 1?

I’m just a very casual flyer, nothing fancy, all auto just like to fly and capture things from different perspectives.

I can’t really afford the mini 3, was hoping it would be the update to get, but DJI jumped too far in my opinion, unless they bring a mini 3 (non pro).

I know the specs, and comparisons between 1 and 2, but as Mini 2 been out since Nov ‘20 I’m wondering if it’s worth upgrading from my Mini 1.

I’d sell the mini 1 FM, but wouldn’t get too much, but a little bit towards Mini 2 if went for it.

Thanks

Last edited:
@Drony_Drone ,it really depends what you whish to use your drone for ,i purchased the original MM when it first came out ,and it still flies very well
for me it was a test the waters drone from DJI to see how it would be received in the market place ,and when it was first launched ,it was way ahead of the many small light weight drones that were around at the time
but it was a basic drone when compared to the other drones in the DJI stable ,and it was unfortunately compared to those drones ,and for many people ,they were disappointed with its flight characteristics and range
so DJI decided to then bring out the Mini 2 with occusync , more powerful motors and a slightly better camera , and of course the firmware and fly App were improved over time
when the Mini 2 was released, for me it did not seem that much of an upgrade from my MM, so i passed on it ,and now i have a Mini 3 pro with the new controller with built in screen ,which is light years away from the original MM
right now if you are happy to take advantage of the discounted prices on the Mini2 and get some consumables (extra batteries and props while they are plentiful) which will future proof it for a while ,then the Mini 2 will be a perfectly good improvement on your MM
its really a choice that only you can make fellow flyer

@Drony_Drone ,it really depends what you whish to use your drone for ,i purchased the original MM when it first came out ,and it still flies very well
for me it was a test the waters drone from DJI to see how it would be received in the market place ,and when it was first launched ,it was way ahead of the many small light weight drones that were around at the time
but it was a basic drone when compared to the other drones in the DJI stable ,and it was unfortunately compared to those drones ,and for many people ,they were disappointed with its flight characteristics and range
so DJI decided to then bring out the Mini 2 with occusync , more powerful motors and a slightly better camera , and of course the firmware and fly App were improved over time
when the Mini 2 was released, for me it did not seem that much of an upgrade from my MM, so i passed on it ,and now i have a Mini 3 pro with the new controller with built in screen ,which is light years away from the original MM
right now if you are happy to take advantage of the discounted prices on the Mini2 and get some consumables (extra batteries and props while they are plentiful) which will future proof it for a while ,then the Mini 2 will be a perfectly good improvement on your MM
its really a choice that only you can make fellow flyer
I agree, I was hoping to miss the mini 2, and go for the mini 3, but DJI have doubled the price. I know the 3 is a pro, but it’s too big a jump for what I’d use for and wouldn’t want to pay that much.
The Mini 1 to an Air 2 would be a nice step up, we had a blast with that drone .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2 in the Rain. land on the Water.
it would but I prefer the small drone and only need the basic test to do. With the Air 2 I’d need a licence etc and not as flexible where to fly.

Reactions: old man mavic
Like @old man mavic I bought a mini 1 to test the waters. Within weeks I bought a Mavic 2 pro, mostly because the Mini 1 wasn't so good in the wind and I wanted 4k video. When the Mini 2 came out I sold my Mini 1 and bought a Mini 2. For the most part the Mini 2 is a much better drone. More resistant to fly-aways in higher winds. 4k video. However I DO NOT LIKE THE MINI 2'S CONTROLLER. It' (RCN1) s a large brick with (IMO) no real advantages ovcer the Mini 1 controller. In an urban/suburban environment my experience is that I don't get any better range with my Mini 2 over my Mini 1. The RCN1 requires a larger case space or a larger case in general. Some folks like it because the phone is mounted on the top rather than on the bottom. I don't find either an advantage or disdvantage, noting that the DJI RC of the Mini 3 has the screen on the botom.

I'm not sure how sales work other than in the US, but right now you can buy REFURBISHED Mini 2 flymore como for $479USD, about $130 cheaper than "regular" price. My M2P is a refurb and there wasn't a single thing that would indicate that it was anythiing b ut brand spakin' new, even down to the packaging.

I have since also added a mini 3 with the DJI RC controller, another pretty big step up from the Mini 2. But the price differential for many isn't worth getting one. But from the Mini 1 to the Mini 2... if you don't object to the new standard RCN1 controller I would say it's worth it, especially if you can score a refurbished one. If you're buying one that is refurbed by DJI don't hesitate. I don't see any downsides to refurb as they carry the same warranty and ability to buy care/refresh at the same terms.

I agree, I was hoping to miss the mini 2, and go for the mini 3, but DJI have doubled the price. I know the 3 is a pro, but it’s too big a jump for what I’d use for and wouldn’t want to pay that much.

it would but I prefer the small drone and only need the basic test to do. With the Air 2 I’d need a licence etc and not as flexible where to fly.
The Mini 2 because of the features noted, better camera and probably a little more stable then the Mini 2 because of the better motors., which improved the wind spec. Using 4K over 2.7K will definitely provide some better videos for you.

Though if you really want to upgrade, you'd probably do better to hold off and save a little and get the Mini 3 Pro. Having the obstacle avoidance and better camera on that model, along with if you go for the gusto and get the DJI RC version, it makes it much easier to grab and go fly.. However, that said, you'd probably get some nice improvements from a Mini 2.

The
Like @old man mavic I bought a mini 1 to test the waters. Within weeks I bought a Mavic 2 pro, mostly because the Mini 1 wasn't so good in the wind and I wanted 4k video. When the Mini 2 came out I sold my Mini 1 and bought a Mini 2. For the most part the Mini 2 is a much better drone. More resistant to fly-aways in higher winds. 4k video. However I DO NOT LIKE THE MINI 2'S CONTROLLER. It' (RCN1) s a large brick with (IMO) no real advantages ovcer the Mini 1 controller. In an urban/suburban environment my experience is that I don't get any better range with my Mini 2 over my Mini 1. The RCN1 requires a larger case space or a larger case in general. Some folks like it because the phone is mounted on the top rather than on the bottom. I don't find either an advantage or disdvantage, noting that the DJI RC of the Mini 3 has the screen on the botom.

I'm not sure how sales work other than in the US, but right now you can buy REFURBISHED Mini 2 flymore como for $479USD, about $130 cheaper than "regular" price. My M2P is a refurb and there wasn't a single thing that would indicate that it was anythiing b ut brand spakin' new, even down to the packaging.
The major point would be the better range, so this isn’t the case? Im in UK so CE so says goes from mini 1 2Km to 6KM in mini 2. (I know LOS, but was hoping better tech on OS2 would make it better overall).

As you say the controller on mini 1 is fine, works for me, nice and small and portable. The mini 2 does look a brick but thought that was because of OS2 integration.

I’d of preferred a mini 3 non pro with maybe no obstacle avoidance, cheaper controller that would have been a bet upgrade but alas DJI know better (or want more money/sales!).

I’ve found a deal for a brand new at £429 for mini 2 fly more. Hope to get around £150 for my Mini 1 FM.

I prefer to stick to mini as then in UK can fly much more places and don’t need a licence, just registered which I already have on Mini 1, the bigger drones I wouldn’t make use of for the price/use.

The

The major point would be the better range, so this isn’t the case? Im in UK so CE so says goes from mini 1 2Km to 6KM in mini 2. (I know LOS, but was hoping better tech on OS2 would make it better overall).

As you say the controller on mini 1 is fine, works for me, nice and small and portable. The mini 2 does look a brick but thought that was because of OS2 integration.

I’d of preferred a mini 3 non pro with maybe no obstacle avoidance, cheaper controller that would have been a bet upgrade but alas DJI know better (or want more money/sales!).

I’ve found a deal for a brand new at £429 for mini 2 fly more. Hope to get around £150 for my Mini 1 FM.

I prefer to stick to mini as then in UK can fly much more places and don’t need a licence, just registered which I already have on Mini 1, the bigger drones I wouldn’t make use of for the price/use.
If one word to contemplate purchasing a mini 3 I would strongly suggest going with the DJIRC controller. In the US this controller is only $150 more than the RCN1 controller. In addition to the onboard screen, if he has more programmable buttons which are extremely convenient. But even more important, the combination is extremely smooth flying. I have always maintained, at least with my mini2 that there were dead spots in the stick controls. At some point I will test the RCN1 with the Mini3, but at this point I have found no reason to bother. The only real disadvantage that I find with the DJIRC controller is that it doesn’t have auxiliary USB ports or HDMI ports to be able to attach outboard devices. Consequently the 5.5 inch screen on the DJIRC controller is what you get and what you are stuck with. In that respect the RCN1 provides for other monitor screen options which is the only advantage of that controller over the DJIRC.

One of the advantages of the mini2, not presents currently with the Mini3 is the availability of third-party apps such as litchi. That being the case, there is an option of flying FPV with an expensive VR goggles. And while not as exciting as flying a new avata, it’s still a very cool immersive experience.

I think the mini 3 is out for me though, with the DJI RC it’s £430 more, and that’s not including the FM kit.

Going back, I’m just wondering if I’d worth going to the mini 2 from the 1, with all the caveats above in discussions, or wait until maybe a mini 3 non pro comes along.

I know the mini 1 and 2 say 12MP stills, are they the exact same sensor, and are the stills better on the 2, or exactly the same?

Thanks

I think the mini 3 is out for me though, with the DJI RC it’s £430 more, and that’s not including the FM kit.

Going back, I’m just wondering if I’d worth going to the mini 2 from the 1, with all the caveats above in discussions, or wait until maybe a mini 3 non pro comes along.

I know the mini 1 and 2 say 12MP stills, are they the exact same sensor, and are the stills better on the 2, or exactly the same?

Thanks
The Ambarella cameras on the Mini 1 and Mini 2 have different model numbers, but the specs and features appear to be exactly identical (including the fact that the Mini 1 camera is capable of 4K video, but DJI suits decided to cripple it). The semi-official excuse for not enabling 4K was too much heat generated (although action cameras using that same camera system don't seem to have that problem), so I suppose it's possible that the Mini 2 model has some improved heat sinking, but I'd expect the stills to be identical. The 2.7K video is a downsized version of the 4K image, so unless you are watching on a 4K monitor, the video will also be the same.

I currently have a mini 1 and it’s fine although sometimes get loss of signal presume due to signal WiFi not as good as OS.

So there is a good deal on for mini 2 FM (I’m in UK), is the upgrade to mini 2 enough over mini 1?

I’m just a very casual flyer, nothing fancy, all auto just like to fly and capture things from different perspectives.

I can’t really afford the mini 3, was hoping it would be the update to get, but DJI jumped too far in my opinion, unless they bring a mini 3 (non pro).

I know the specs, and comparisons between 1 and 2, but as Mini 2 been out since Nov ‘20 I’m wondering if it’s worth upgrading from my Mini 1.

I’d sell the mini 1 FM, but wouldn’t get too much, but a little bit towards Mini 2 if went for it.

Thanks
Definitely worth the upgrade to the Mini 2. I have owned both and the 2 is far superior to the original Mini particularly in flight characteristics, stability, range etc. If it helps I have posted this several times on MP:
Here’s a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube videos comparing the MM to the new Mini 2:
1. OcuSync 2.0 instead of enhanced wi-fi.
2. Better wind resistance scale level 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery life.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the Mini1. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than Mini 1.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. The Smart Controller can be used with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.

Reactions: Drony_Drone
Like noted above, I had a mini1 and found that there were too many windy days where I just could not fly. I ended up going with one of the larger DJI drones but a friend of mine picked up a mini2 and I will say that there’s a night and day difference between the 1&2. I am a big fan of occusync and it handles the wind much better. I am also a big fan of refurbished drones and photography equipment. I think sometimes they are inspected better than the assembly line new ones and you won’t find a mark on them. Best wishes.

Depends on usage really for your purposes. Each Mini in the series has seen huge improvements. If money is not a factor, go with Mini 3 Pro. If it is, the discounts available on the 2 now are worth the upgrade over the MM in the controller going to Occusync technology improvements, 4K 30 video and LiPo batteries for traveling. There are other improvements but these would be my big ones for reasons.

If your MM is in good condition, the secondary market is good for these so the cash out lay isn’t to bad if you sell it too.

If where you fly is normally a windy place then the answer is definitely yes. I live near the coast and fly at the beach and over the ocean most of the time. The Mini 2 is a horse and can handle much stronger winds than my Mini 1

Reactions: SkiProiii
Some great advice above thanks everyone.

As above there is (in UK) a good deal for £430 for the mini 2 FM bundle, I think I might go with that.

I’ll sell my mini 1 as I just won’t use it, still flies great, but I won’t touch it if got a mini 2. Probably get around £150 I think. Not sure where to sell though as can imagine a lot of people buy crash and blame you!

Don’t fancy a face to face, not sure how works on eBay either. Probably best option in UK is CEX (2nd hand seller and buyer), for £136

If where you fly is normally a windy place then the answer is definitely yes. I live near the coast and fly at the beach and over the ocean most of the time. The Mini 2 is a horse and can handle much stronger winds than my Mini 1
It is yes, so that’s promising to hear. That’s exactly where I fly mostly.

I use UAV app and have threshold set to max wind 18mph. If you use app, or do you know, what max wind for mini 2 is? and have you flown in these winds and it been ok?

The one thing that stopped me upgrading to mini2 is that it has lipo batteries so you can't just leave them charged like you can with mini 1.. lipo batteries have to be kept about half charge and charged the day you want to use them..

The one thing that stopped me upgrading to mini2 is that it has lipo batteries so you can't just leave them charged like you can with mini 1.. lipo batteries have to be kept about half charge and charged the day you want to use them.
Ah ok. Is this done automatically via the hub? Or do you have to do it manually?

I’ve normally kept my Mini 1 batteries at around half unless I know I’m using them in the next few days.

How long if they are fully charged, if they do this automatically, would it drop from 100 to 50%? Could you just not leave then out of the hub and they won’t discharge?

Has this really stopped you upgrading? Surely if you know you are going to fly you could charge an hour beforehand? They can’t discharge that quick can they?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98