DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 and "aircraft management"

MarkusAtHome

Reactions
As an owner of a Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller, I am now also a proud owner of a Mini 2. After upgrading the FW on the SC and Mini 2, I am now able to use the SC for both aircraft; works great!

By using the "aircraft management" page on the SC, switching from the M2 to the M2P works perfect. However, I am not able to switch the SC from the M2P to the M2, connection timed-out. I can only reconnect to the M2 by going through the "add aircraft" procedure.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

I have the same issue but worse. I use the SC with an Air 2S and a Mini 2. Whenever I swap aircraft in either direction I have to re-bind them. It's very irritating.

Reactions: TheRock
Gentlemen, I too have the smart controller and use it with my M2Z, MA2, and my Mini2. Switching between is very simple and quick. All I have ever done is...

My method, if switching to another AC, example, going from MA2 to M2Z

1. Turn on SC
2. Turn on the M2Z
3. on the SC, select "Connect" (do not go into the APP) from the main screen
4. Select the model your LINKING to, wait for the prompt
5. Press the link button on the side of the M2Z (or press and hold the power button on the MA2 or Mini2 for 4 seconds)
6. Done

Then fly, no need for restart.

However, if you are switching from using the Smart controller to the stock controller or visa versa, then it is a two step process, you must first LINK your controller to the AC, then you will need to REBIND with DJI your controller to the AC, in the FLY app it's can be done through your profile options. But, typically both the FLY and DJI Go4 apps will recognize this and prompt you to REBIND the devices after linking. This started when DJI introduced their Fly Away coverage a while back, why??? Not sure.

Now, I agree. When you switch controllers for a given AC, yup, it's a pain. Wastes about 1 minute flight time.

happy and safe flying
inno

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
For me its the fact that we have to Bind to switch its just makes the Experience not as nice . The mini 2 for me takes the longest as I have to restart it after every binding to get the camera smooth.

I will say the Bind on the Mavic 2 is the fastest and most secure but in the Winter with gloves its going to be a pain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: inno
For me its the fact that we have to Bind we switch its just makes the Experience not as nice . The mini 2 for me takes the longest as I have to restart it after every binding to get the camera smooth.

I will say the Bind on the Mavic 2 is the fastest and most secure but in the Winter with gloves its going to be a pain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
You know, it's kind of like on my Futaba and Spektrum flight controllers. Even though they can store many configurations for different AC's, I still have to re-link(bind) the transmitter to the receiver each time I use a diff AC. because these are digital, the transmitter has to handshake with the (different) receiver and set it's encryption codes.

Unlike the old days where all you did was switch out a crystal, but you still needed to re-trim the RC to the AC (before multi configuration RC's). Now that was a pain, Especially if you only had one radio and used it with a bunch of planes

For me its the fact that we have to Bind to switch its just makes the Experience not as nice . The mini 2 for me takes the longest as I have to restart it after every binding to get the camera smooth.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Interesting with the mini2, have not had that issue yet. but on the other had, have only flown twice with it since the firmware came out for the SC that supports the mini. Will have to try more switches between AC's. Will let you know if I run into any issues or not

As an owner of a Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller, I am now also a proud owner of a Mini 2. After upgrading the FW on the SC and Mini 2, I am now able to use the SC for both aircraft; works great!

By using the "aircraft management" page on the SC, switching from the M2 to the M2P works perfect. However, I am not able to switch the SC from the M2P to the M2, connection timed-out. I can only reconnect to the M2 by going through the "add aircraft" procedure.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?
Markus

I use the Smart controller for M2P a Mini 2 and Air2S. I too initially had problem with switching... my work around was to click out of the select screen and instead click on the apps button (4 squares 2 on top of each other) then I clicked DJI Fly app if I wanted to use Mini or Air2S. Since the last update, I no longer have to do this. I just press Connect and the correct Aircraft shows up. Maybe they fixed it in firmware.

Interesting with the mini2, have not had that issue yet. but on the other had, have only flown twice with it since the firmware came out for the SC that supports the mini. Will have to try more switches between AC's. Will let you know if I run into any issues or not
UPDATE: My mini 2 Camera problem is fixed , it was the camera setting.

Phatnomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Markus

I use the Smart controller for M2P a Mini 2 and Air2S. I too initially had problem with switching... my work around was to click out of the select screen and instead click on the apps button (4 squares 2 on top of each other) then I clicked DJI Fly app if I wanted to use Mini or Air2S. Since the last update, I no longer have to do this. I just press Connect and the correct Aircraft shows up. Maybe they fixed it in firmware.
Thanks for the hint.

However, which «connect» icon do you press? Is this after selecting the aircraft on the "aircraft management" page?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210711-023259[1].png
    Screenshot_20210711-023259[1].png
    316.7 KB · Views: 6
Markus. Here are 4 photos showing the work around.

Attachments

• 1 press apps button.jpg
    1 press apps button.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Tap fly app.jpg
    Tap fly app.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Tap go fly.jpg
    Tap go fly.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 11
  • Ready for take off.jpg
    Ready for take off.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 11
Thank you for the instructions. Does this also work when you switch from the Mavic 2 Pro to the Mini 2? In other words, switching from DJI Fly to DJI Go 4?

I'm not sure... I got my Mini 2 and Air2S out yesterday, and SC immediately recognized the air2s and let me fly.... then I shut down the air2s after using half of the battery up, and tried my trick to connect to mini... now remember A2S and Mini 2 both use DJI Fly app. This time it required me to rebind the controller to the Mini 2... I did not remember it doing that previously. So I'm going to do some work to find out the quickest way to change aircraft...
Obviously my feeble brain didn't remember it correctly, or there has been a change after an update.

Either way I'll let you know what I found out.

Reactions: MarkusAtHome
You know, it's kind of like on my Futaba and Spektrum flight controllers. Even though they can store many configurations for different AC's, I still have to re-link(bind) the transmitter to the receiver each time I use a diff AC. because these are digital, the transmitter has to handshake with the (different) receiver and set it's encryption codes.
How odd. My Spektrum and FrSky Taranis transmitters never need re-binding when I switch between models. I literally select the different model on the transmitter, power on whatever craft I want to fly and go fly. I wish the SC could be this way.

Reactions: halifax
I sent this up to DJI. Who knows if they will do anything.
The Mini 2 and the Mavic 2 run on different modes. When switching between the two aircraft, the smart controller “boots” between these modes.

Mini 2 -> M2P
If I was flying with my Mini 2 and want to switch to the M2P, I stop/kill the Fly app and go to the aircraft management page. There I select my M2P and after a few seconds, the Smart Controller and M2P are connected. I open the Go4 app and off I go.

M2P -> Mini 2
Switching from the M2P to the Mini 2 requires additional steps. I stop/kill the Go4 app and go to the aircraft management page. There I select "Add Device" and then the Mini 2. Once the controller starts beeping, I hit the cancel button. This will bring me back to the aircraft management page. There I select my Mini 2 and the devices connect within a few seconds. I open the Fly app and off I go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada