DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 - Arrived!

Bill Ballard

Reactions
Site
www.svjobeth.com
Well, my new DJI Mini 2 arrived yesterday afternoon. I've got it unboxed, un-stickered, and ready to start charging and firmware brought up to date this afternoon when I'm back from a couple of outside jobs. ?

And, I think I have my Phantom kit sold! ?

Last edited:
Remember update the firmware and batteries at home before go and fly. Will take some time.
Congrats in your new little beast !!

You got more patience than me, that thing goes on charge right when I unbox. It's fully charged by the time I finish reading the manual and eat dinner. :p
Loud and clear on that one. My wife even said, "I can't believe you haven't torn into that yet..." Yep, patience...

Remember update the firmware and batteries at home before go and fly. Will take some time.
Congrats in your new little beast !!
You’re going to love it I love mine but I found out it is very fragile I clipped a tree top and it landed on the grass and disintegrated practically. The two back legs snapped off landing on grass

• Wow
Reactions: Bill Ballard
You’re going to love it I love mine but I found out it is very fragile I clipped a tree top and it landed on the grass and disintegrated practically. The two back legs snapped off landing on grass
Yikes!! I've not flown it yet, but it is ready to go. Where I am in the Keys, I'm in layers of multiple NFZ...everything from hospitals, jails, and airports/heliports, to wildlife refuges, national parks, and national sanctuary sites. I've got to move around to some of the pockets where I'm constantly not having to unlock for flights.

At any rate, I'm aware of the fragility of this little beast, especially after flying the Phantoms.

Yikes!! I've not flown it yet, but it is ready to go. Where I am in the Keys, I'm in layers of multiple NFZ...everything from hospitals, jails, and airports/heliports, to wildlife refuges, national parks, and national sanctuary sites. I've got to move around to some of the pockets where I'm constantly not having to unlock for flights.

At any rate, I'm aware of the fragility of this little beast, especially after flying the Phantoms.
you’re going to love it but I would definitely get care refresh this little thing flies just like a large Mavic

you’re going to love it but I would definitely get care refresh this little thing flies just like a large Mavic
Care Refresh isn't a viable option for me. I live on my sailboat and probably 75% of my flights are launched and recovered from the boat. Losing it in the sea is the most likely scenario for something happening to the drone, so I'd have nothing to return to DJI. Plus, we sail internationally (or once did, and will again), and if I'm out of my 'region' when anything happened, it's not covered. Bottom line, I can replace it for $450, so I'm more or less 'self-insured.' It's all part of the sailing lifestyle...

Last edited:
Reactions: tryt53
Care Refresh isn't a viable option for me. I live on my sailboat and probably 75% of my flights are launched and recovered from the boat. Losing it in the sea is the most likely scenario for something happening to the drone, so I'd have noting to return to DJI. Plus, we sail internationally (or once did, and will again), and if I'm out of my 'region' when anything happened, it's not covered. Bottom line, I can replace it for $450, so I'm more or less 'self-insured.' It's all part of the sailing lifestyle...
Ahh I’m jealous. Your bird needs pontoons

I was reading through this thread and saw your comment about "being in the Keys." I'm from Miami (Coral Gables) and I have longed to fly in the keys but my Airmap App shows nothing but restricted areas just about everywhere. When you get your show on the road, I'd like to know where you have found some decent unrestricted nice places to fly. I usually fly very conservatively- e.g.: under 150 feet, as far away from humanity as I can get. Marathon is only about 30-40 minutes from my doorstep.

Dale Davis\Coral Gables
daledavisphotography.smugmug.com

I was reading through this thread and saw your comment about "being in the Keys." I'm from Miami (Coral Gables) and I have longed to fly in the keys but my Airmap App shows nothing but restricted areas just about everywhere. When you get your show on the road, I'd like to know where you have found some decent unrestricted nice places to fly. I usually fly very conservatively- e.g.: under 150 feet, as far away from humanity as I can get. Marathon is only about 30-40 minutes from my doorstep.

Dale Davis\Coral Gables
daledavisphotography.smugmug.com
It's actually controlled airspace with zero altitude ceiling being in most spaces. There are a few pockets that allow for above zero, but you still need authorization which you can get with LAANC.

On my Airmap, Card Sound Road and about half way across the bridge to North Key Largo looks open. Also east of Jewfish and Garden Grove and south along to Key Largo shows no restrictions. What do you think? I usually never go above 75-150 feet.

On my Airmap, Card Sound Road and about half way across the bridge to North Key Largo looks open. Also east of Jewfish and Garden Grove and south along to Key Largo shows no restrictions. What do you think? I usually never go above 75-150 feet.
The Keys are a 'layer-cake' of airspace restrictions. For example, all of Vaca Key and Fat Deer Key - where Marathon and Key Colony Beach are situated - fall under the restricted five mile zone surrounding Marathon Airport. And within that, there are restrictions around the jail, schools, hospitals, two heliports, not to mention a couple of national wildlife refuges, and state parks. And don't forget about the Florida Keys National Marina Sanctuary which encompasses the entirety of the island chain.

Even with all of that, I've always been able to get authorizations/unlock codes to fly the Phantom in the Marathon area with zero issues. Like you, I keep things conservative; lower ceilings, with obvious VLOS flight distances, and duration. Oddly enough, I've flown from boats without having to unlock at all, even when the Airmap or UAV Forecast Maps showed me squarely inside a restricted area; 100 yards away and on shore, I was locked - 100 yards off the beach in a boat, I'm not. I've not yet had a chance to get the Mini 2 up, but I don't expect it to be any different.

And nice photography work. I lived in Miami years ago; volunteered at Fairchild for a short period.

Last edited:
The Keys are a 'layer-cake' of airspace restrictions. For example, all of Vaca Key and Fat Deer Key - where Marathon and Key Colony Beach are situated - fall under the restricted five mile zone surrounding Marathon Airport. And within that, there are restrictions around the jail, schools, hospitals, two heliports, not to mention a couple of national wildlife refuges, and state parks. And don't forget about the Florida Keys National Marina Sanctuary which encompasses the entirety of the island chain.

Even with all of that, I've always been able to get authorizations/unlock codes to fly the Phantom in the Marathon area with zero issues. Like you, I keep things conservative; lower ceilings, with obvious VLOS flight distances, and duration. Oddly enough, I've flown from boats without having to unlock at all, even when the Airmap or UAV Forecast Maps showed me squarely inside a restricted area; 100 yards away and on shore, I was locked - 100 yards off the beach in a boat, I'm not. I've not yet had a chance to get the Mini 2 up, but I don't expect it to be any different.

And nice photography work. I lived in Miami years ago; volunteered at Fairchild for a short period.
Not to belabor the point, but I think the better analogy than layer cake would be Swiss cheese.

Please tell me your personal experiences flying where I mentioning in my above post.

Dale

Not to belabor the point, but I think the better analogy than layer cake would be Swiss cheese.

Please tell me your personal experiences flying where I mentioning in my above post.

Dale
Aside from flying from a boat 10 miles out in the Atlantic near Carysfort Reef and to the E-SE of Key Largo and Plantation Key, I've not flown in the upper Keys. My land based flights have all been in the middle and lower Keys - mostly between Marathon and Cudjoe Key.

But, that is likely to change in the coming months, and I'm retiring (sort of) and anticipate having a bit more time for creative endeavors. As I mentioned, I've not had any issues getting authorizations to fly in the areas of the Keys where I've flown.

Last edited:
Care Refresh isn't a viable option for me. I live on my sailboat and probably 75% of my flights are launched and recovered from the boat. Losing it in the sea is the most likely scenario for something happening to the drone, so I'd have nothing to return to DJI. Plus, we sail internationally (or once did, and will again), and if I'm out of my 'region' when anything happened, it's not covered. Bottom line, I can replace it for $450, so I'm more or less 'self-insured.' It's all part of the sailing lifestyle...
Two words: Fishing net! And all you have to do mail it to DJI before your sailing into your home port. But hey your my kinda guy...living the dream :) I'll be going back to Philippines or Thailand as soon as my Visa opens up..My life in the States and their crazy political/government systems are done for me, did my time :)

Last edited:
Two words: Fishing net! And all you have to do mail it to DJI before your sailing into your home port. But hey your my kinda guy...living the dream :) I'll be going back to Philippines or Thailand as soon as my Visa opens up..My life in the States and their crazy political/government systems are done for me, did my time :)
We carry nets on board - it's a matter of getting to the drone before it sinks - good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan