DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Controller works with Mini 3 Pro?

I think they, the no-screen-controllers, are physically the same controller model, RC231, but whether or not the software on them is the same is another matter..........

Last edited:
The Mini 2 controller is the same controller for Mini2, Air2, Air2s, Mavic 3. It is not DJI's "standard" controller.
The question I have is will the Mini 3's Smart controller (the one with the bright screen built in) work with the Mini 2 or other DJI drones. The second question will be, if so, can it be bought separately?

There may come a time and a reason that I will replace my Mini 2 with the Mini 3, but with absolute certainty I'd spend the extra money for the Smart controller. If there is any reason to spend the extra $150 is rapid deployment. Fire up the controller. Fire up the drone. Wait for enough satellites and launch. The longest part of the setup and launch of my Mini 2 or Mavic 2 pro is attaching phone or tablet and plugging in. The Smart contoller looks to be the same size as the standard controller but has almost as many programmable buttons as the Mavic 2, many of which I find indispensable and annoying when they're not there on the Mini 2's standard controller. I find having to resort to device's screen commands clumsy (with my fingers) if they could be handled from the controller. JMO

I had a Mini 1 and now have the M2P and both of those controllers are much smaller and somewhat lighter, easier to pack. But when I upgraded to the Mini 2 I had go to a significantly larger case to carry all the accessories that I like to have on hand. Last summer when we were traveling I took my Mavic 2 because while the drone itself is heavier and bigger, it seemed almost like a 1:1 tradeoff in space and the extra weight of the M2P and controller was only about +1 pounds, give or take.

The Mini 2 controller is the same controller for Mini2, Air2, Air2s, Mavic 3. It is not DJI's "standard" controller.
The question I have is will the Mini 3's Smart controller (the one with the bright screen built in) work with the Mini 2 or other DJI drones. The second question will be, if so, can it be bought separately?

There may come a time and a reason that I will replace my Mini 2 with the Mini 3, but with absolute certainty I'd spend the extra money for the Smart controller. If there is any reason to spend the extra $150 is rapid deployment. Fire up the controller. Fire up the drone. Wait for enough satellites and launch. The longest part of the setup and launch of my Mini 2 or Mavic 2 pro is attaching phone or tablet and plugging in. The Smart contoller looks to be the same size as the standard controller but has almost as many programmable buttons as the Mavic 2, many of which I find indispensable and annoying when they're not there on the Mini 2's standard controller. I find having to resort to device's screen commands clumsy (with my fingers) if they could be handled from the controller. JMO

I had a Mini 1 and now have the M2P and both of those controllers are much smaller and somewhat lighter, easier to pack. But when I upgraded to the Mini 2 I had go to a significantly larger case to carry all the accessories that I like to have on hand. Last summer when we were traveling I took my Mavic 2 because while the drone itself is heavier and bigger, it seemed almost like a 1:1 tradeoff in space and the extra weight of the M2P and controller was only about +1 pounds, give or take.
If the DJI-RC ends up being compatible with the Mini-2, and I can buy the RC separately, I'll definitely get one.

Good thought!

Reactions: vindibona1
Any had luck connecting the Mini 2 remote to the new mini 3 pro? Can't get it right on my side.
Not pairing.
Did you go through the process of binding the remote and the Mini 3? It should work. It's the same controller. If you have trouble I recommend callling DJI customer support. They pick up the phone pretty quickly and can walk you through the process if you have the controller and drone there with you when you call, ready to be fired up.
US support number 1 (818) 235-0789 [I didn't note originally that you weren't in the US. I'm sure you can find the nearest office/number to call where you live]

Old thread, but I'd still like to know the answer. Anyone?
Not that I am aware of. The RCN1 controller that comes with the Mini 2 will work with the Mini 3, but not vice versa. It doesn't make sense, but it's DJI. So it is what it is. Would they ever make the DJI RC compatible with the Mini 2? The bean counter in me says "no" as DJI wants to sell more Mini 3's as there is so much more margin in them. If I were in their shoes, financially I wouldn't make it backwards compatible either. But as they now own Hasseblad, it's kind of a slap in the face to the departed Victor Hasseblad who made all new Hasselblad gear backwards compatible... until the digital age struck.

Reactions: RS Bush Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deauxpamine