DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 display demo (gl), different then normal mini 2?

Pietpukje

Reactions
Do someone know if there is a difference between a normal mini 2 and a display demo? Do it have limits?

Attachments

• IMG_20221010_210818242.jpg
    IMG_20221010_210818242.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20221010_210854076.jpg
    IMG_20221010_210854076.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20221010_210932724_MP.jpg
    IMG_20221010_210932724_MP.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 60
I would have thought it’s just one that has been sat in the shop for people to pick up etc as the do in currys. I wouldn’t of thought it’s been flown but I suppose you would need to check also make sure it hasn’t been previously registered especially if you want the Dji insurance that has to be activated within 48hrs of first Registration

Never heard of a official variant called "Display demo" with limited functionality... either it's a fully functional unit or it can be a "dummy" with no internals. The units displayed in my local electronical shop is dummies, just empty shells.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Never heard of an official variant called "Display demo" with limited functionality... either it's a fully functional unit or it can be a "dummy" with no internals. The units displayed in my local electronical shop is dummies, just empty shells.
I would avoid it without knowing what the limited functionality actually is. Let’s face it they are phasing out the mini 2 I’m sure there will be some cheap offers coming out in the next few months with the amazons Black Friday and Amazon day deals.

Never heard of an official variant called "Display demo" with limited functionality... either it's a fully functional unit or it can be a "dummy" with no internals. The units displayed in my local electronical shop is dummies, just empty shells.
Maybe it’s a functional demo version that Dji send out to YouTubers or such like to do reviews. Maybe they print demo on the side so they don’t sell it on… no idea really.

A shop display model ( for man handling by consumers and kids,) contains NO 'working' parts, other than perhaps props, shell parts and arms.
I bought several Mavic Mini and M2P/Z display models as a source for genuine DJI plastic parts, that is about their only possible use.
The battery doors (Mavic Mini) are glued shut and the 'battery' is secured by a screw, the 'battery' (Mavic Mini) contains a metal mass to simulate the drone's weight.
Any circuit boards fitted inside the drone are componentless.
From memory
a) the camera is an empty shell.
b) the motor wiring was cut or not fitted and the motors might have been winding-less.

DO NOT buy a shop display drone thinking you will get a flyable drone out of the box.

PS the same thing applies to P3 'dummy' controllers, no working circuit boards and a dummy mass for the battery but I have seen a dummy Mavic 1? controller with what looked to be a complete USB board for USB port on the side i.e. a charging? board. Though that might have been an assembly line mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehomer
This demo looks fully working, and fly also, maybe indeed for a shop, i got it cheap and secondhand, so that is why i was curious if someone know if it has limits. Even the original sticker on the storage box says demo.

Are you saying you have tried to switch the drone on and that it does in fact boot, make the gimbal dance, twitch the motors and give an image in the fly app?

Ah, in that case lucky you. Thumbswayup
If you did not have to activate it just give it a good check for crash damage. Arms that are non-symmetrical arms when comparing left & right, cracks in the shell, gaps around the rear arm pivots etc..

ive just bought one from eBay same thing. All works with a friends battery but can’t activate it as no 16 digit password. Any ideas? Also doesn’t come with any accessories or battery (just bare drone and controller)

Last edited:
ive just bought one from eBay same thing. All works with a friends battery but can’t activate it as no 16 digit password. Any ideas? Also doesn’t come with any accessories or battery (just bare drone and controller)
What password? I did not need a password, only had to pair it with my remote

Had no blue card in packaging. In fact box only contained bare drone (No battery) and no accessories.

What blue card and what makes you think it needs a password?
Can you post a screen capture of the message or a photo of whatever is telling you that you need a password?
My Mini 2 was a brand new replacement for a crashed or warranty claim drone. I do not remember a blue card and the only thing I had to do with it was activate it. Nor do I, remember a blue card in the packaging of my Mavic Mini, activation was 'just' part of the process of sitting it on for the 'first' time.

Found on DJI web page:
Where is the activation code on DJI Mini 2?

Note: the Activation Code is the 16-digit code listed as "Password" on the blue DJI card enclosed in the packaging.

I had no blue card.

There are thousands of "DJI Webpages" it would be helpful if you would provide the web address for any specific web page you cite.
It saves others having to trawl through various pages and perhaps not look at the one you are looking at.

Ahhh are you perhaps referring to something connected to Care refresh?

If so a google for "dji activation code" found this
DJI Care refresh ACTIVATION code? [Solved] o
n the DJI forum.
Entitled
"DJI Care refresh ACTIVATION code? [Solved]"

or this
entitled
"Care Refresh Activation Code"

There were numerous other articles listed in the search results.

It may be that the activation code is ONLY needed if you want care refresh, my mini 2 has flown perfectly happily with out it.

Is there a message that you are seeing in the app? If so post a screen capture of that message, a screen capture will possibly be more informative than a quotation of something on that screen.

If you DID NOT have to activate the drone then you CAN NOT get care refresh 'off the shelf', you will have to provide DJI with a "verification video" and other stuff.

Google etc. " DJI care refresh verification video".

Reactions: kawasakidude
There's a good chance the seller of the drone replaced an arm salvaged off a non-functional demo model and the arm had "display demo" printed on the side. So, as recommended, give it a thorough check over for damage as it could well have been crashed and repaired. If it has been repaired well and everything is secure, undamaged and fully functioning then there's probably nothing to worry about.

Not sure wether to return it. What is is worth as a bare drone (with camera) with no battery / charger / ancillaries?

Attachments

• 58BD29E8-1FED-461A-A6FB-A0BBBC7EE368.jpeg
    58BD29E8-1FED-461A-A6FB-A0BBBC7EE368.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Does it fly and does it work as it should? I.e. does it shoot and record video, does it take and record photos, does the gimbal work and keep the camera level etc. etc.?

As I mentioned in post 16, if this activation relates to only "Care Refresh" then it may be possible that the drone can be used, as intended, without the care refresh being used.
Have you tried it?

What's it worth? If you can not fly it or some aspect of it does not work, not a lot.
If you sell it on ebay you would have to declare that it can not fly or that something about it does not work it and put it in the "for parts or spares" category.
You could not sell it as "used" or "new" since items sold in those categories must work as intended. And, if mis-sold, you leave yourself open to a possible "not as described" return where you must provide a full refund of the original purchase price INCLUDING the P&P charge and 'provide' the buyer with a pre paid postage label via a trackable service.
So, overall, you could lose money if the buyer wants to return it.

Reactions: kawasakidude

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs