DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Freewell filters dont fit.

Brigs66

Reactions
I have just received a pack off the Freewell all day filters for my Mini 2, and attempted to install one this morning following the installation instructions...They no where near fit as the hooks at the back are way off the connection points on the vents....Has anyone else had this issue?

I have just received a pack off the Freewell all day filters for my Mini 2, and attempted to install one this morning following the installation instructions...They no where near fit as the hooks at the back are way off the connection points on the vents....Has anyone else had this issue?
Join the club. I just sent mine back and have already received a refund. I am a retired eye surgeon (ophthalmologist) and therefore, very good with my hands and 3D manipulation of small objects inside of an eyeball. I spent over an hour trying to put these little guys on my new Mini 2 and failed every time. Just when I thought I had them on, the gimbal cover knocked them off. I wrote to Freewel and they said they have sold thousands of these and have great success with them. So be it...not in my experience.

I actually do not really blame Freedwell. Rather, it is the DJI design of the gimbal where DJI did not provide a lip of plastic on the bottom of the camera to grab the filter.

Dale
Miami

I am back and forth with Freewell support on this. I’d really like to be able to use the long-exposure set on my Mini 2, but have sent them pictures showing the prongs missing the slots by about 2.5mm.

On the other hand, my Skyreat set of filters fit easily and seem secure; I’ve flown with them. Sadly, only Freewell seems to make the ND1000 and ND2000 long exposure filters.

I am back and forth with Freewell support on this. I’d really like to be able to use the long-exposure set on my Mini 2, but have sent them pictures showing the prongs missing the slots by about 2.5mm.

On the other hand, my Skyreat set of filters fit easily and seem secure; I’ve flown with them. Sadly, only Freewell seems to make the ND1000 and ND2000 long exposure filters.
After I returned the Freewells, I wondered, where in the heck am I going to get ND filters for this thing??? I looked at the Skyreat and found that they were plastic instead of glass. For me, the Mini 2 is a secondary drone (M2Pro is my main drone), so it is not a big deal if the filters are plastic. I just don't want to throw away the $. Do the plastic Skreats fit any better and stay on??? Please advise!

Dale

… Do the Skreats fit any better and stay on??? Please advise!
I felt good enough about the security of the attachment to fly about an hour. So far so good!
Your mileage may vary.
ND filters are important to me, some may disagree.

There can be decent performance from plastic filters. I haven’t yet done a project with the Skyreat, don’t yet have an opinion.

I felt good enough about the security of the attachment to fly about an hour. So far so good!
Your mileage may vary.
ND filters are important to me, some may disagree.

There can be decent performance from plastic filters. I haven’t yet done a project with the Skyreat, don’t yet have an opinion.
OK- I'll give it a try. I just went ahead and ordered one ND16 for Mini 2 from Amazon, due for delivery Friday. I'll drop a note here after I get it on the drone.

I hope this works out well for both of us. I have some flying/filming planned this coming week and will post again when I have a little more experience with the filters.

PS. Skyreat states that the filter set is multi-coated glass. I can confirm that these are coated filters; that’s easy to see:

Last edited:
I have a 6 pack set of Sunnylife filters which fit the Mavic Mini and Mini 2.
I just bought the pair of Freewell nd1000 & nd2000 filters.
They only “Hang” on the camera and do not “Lock on”, hit something and the filter will most likely fall off. It is not DJI’s fault, Freewell‘s plastic around the filter is smaller than Sunnylife therefore does not hang over the bottom edge of the camera thus locking it into place.
As beggars can’t be chooser, it seems to be the only one available so I will use a tiny piece of tape for those special nd1000 or 2000 flights.
Better yet, Superglue a tiny strip of thin plastic to the bottom of the filter for a no hassle filter swap.

Last edited:
They fit but are not “Locked on”, hit something and the filter will most likely fall off. It is not DJI’s fault, Freewell‘s plastic around the filter is smaller therefore does not hang over the bottom edge of the camera thus locking it into place.
As beggars can’t be chooser, it seems to be the only one available so I will use a tiny piece of tape for those special nd1000 or 2000 flights.
That little piece of tape may be my answer! I just ordered the Skyreat ND16 less than a half hour ago and will get it in a week. I am definitely going to use the tape.

Did I mention....As I was trying to keep the Freewell on the Mini 2, it slipped into the back well behind the gimbal. Took me forever to fish it out of there!

They only “Hang” on the camera and do not “Lock on”, hit something and the filter will most likely fall off. It is not DJI’s fault, Freewell‘s plastic around the filter is smaller than Sunnylife therefore does not hang over the bottom edge of the camera thus locking it into place.
Better yet, Superglue a tiny strip of thin plastic to the bottom of the filter for a no hassle filter swap.
I too have the SunnyLife filters, are you happy with the results? I think they are more than suitable unless you’re really picky of course.

Bought a Freewell ND 2000. Fits fine.

Hi all, I use a set of 6 Skyreat filters for the Mini 2, they fit perfect and don't fall of, so no need for tape etc ...

After I returned the Freewells, I wondered, where in the heck am I going to get ND filters for this thing??? I looked at the Skyreat and found that they were plastic instead of glass. For me, the Mini 2 is a secondary drone (M2Pro is my main drone), so it is not a big deal if the filters are plastic. I just don't want to throw away the $. Do the plastic Skreats fit any better and stay on??? Please advise!

Dale
Dale...not sure what to make of the ad for Skyreat...it says plastic, aluminum and glass
1627076903834.png

The ad says plastic case (to store them) and glass optics (that's what we want), the frame is aluminium.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661