DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 gets Warm

As far as your statement about whether sitting idle powered on and how much current could it be drawing, it must drawl enough. It actually eat the battery up much faster than I thought it. Would. Itll last 30 minutes at full speed and I don't believe it would last an hour or much more than that sitting
I'm usually not a fun person to challenge lol, cuz I don't just say things or give my opinion unless im fairly certain im right ha. That can be shown daily if you read all my comments and replies in this Forum the past month or so. Im pretty well versed with about 15 months of fling the mini 2,500 mini flight hours and 4 or 5 years fllying other DJI drones. BUT I DO TRY TO ADD HUMOR TO BREAK THE TENSION IT SOMETIMES CREATES WHEN MY CONFIDENCE MAY SEEM ARROGANT. NOT MY INTENTION ATBALL BUT SOMETIMES GETS TAKEN THAT WAY

this thread is going nowhere ,batteries attain a temperature according to the ambient temperature of the surrounding conditions, and to help keep them and the drone as cool as possible, then they have cooling fans and heat syncs to achieve that ,if the drone is just sitting in a hot environment without any airflow over the drone, then it gets very hot ,this rarely happens when the drone is flying, but it is possible if it is very hot and sunny ,for the battery to go beyond the recommended maximum temp especially if it is left in the drone ,in direct sun or inside a hot vehicle after it has just flown
the lipo batteries used in our drones are designed to produce a lot of power on demand and that equates to heat, so if flying in sport mode the battery will get hotter, than if flying in tripod mode
there is also a very small window with regards to the optimum temp at which the battery works the most Efficiently so in very cold conditions this is why the flight time is shorter ,so to overcome this condition that is why commercial type drones have a self heating mode that senses the battery temp and keeps it at the optimum

I guess I started a poop show, but I think I have my answer. I won’t let it sit on the table any longer than necessary but I do understand this heat build up is normal. I think a small battery operated fan is in my future to aid in keeping the drone cool during the times I’m making adjustments to the software or updates. Thanks for all the input.....

this thread is going nowhere ,batteries attain a temperature according to the ambient temperature of the surrounding conditions, and to help keep them and the drone as cool as possible, then they have cooling fans and heat syncs to achieve that ,if the drone is just sitting in a hot environment without any airflow over the drone, then it gets very hot ,this rarely happens when the drone is flying, but it is possible if it is very hot and sunny ,for the battery to go beyond the recommended maximum temp especially if it is left in the drone ,in direct sun or inside a hot vehicle after it has just flown
the lipo batteries used in our drones are designed to produce a lot of power on demand and that equates to heat, so if flying in sport mode the battery will get hotter, than if flying in tripod mode
there is also a very small window with regards to the optimum temp at which the battery works the most Efficiently so in very cold conditions this is why the flight time is shorter ,so to overcome this condition that is why commercial type drones have a self heating mode that senses the battery temp and keeps it at the optimum

So you agree that the current drawing is not heating up the batteries fast enough, especially in freezing temperatures. That is why some batteries come with nickel foil heating resistors (mavic enterprise).

My strong believe is that Mini2 has battery heating resistors. That is why there are many reviews with the mini 2 flying in -20C temperatures for hours with zero problems. And they fly decent times, like 20 minutes on a battery (only 30% penalty).

Without self heating batteries would fall from the sky like flies.

I know it is hard to believe without an official comunicate from DJI, but it is not impossible.

@izometric ,i have not changed my stance on whether or not Mini2 batteries have a self heating feature ,there is no reason why they should ,and i believe DJI would be pushing that feature if it was so ,you can carry on believing what you wish ,and we will agree to differ on the subject

Reactions: slup
In my opinion...

So my logic says...
...You would expect

I would understand...
...My strong believe...
Think it's really hard to convince others based on the quotes above ... you simply speculating & draw conclusion from that some have flown in colder temps than what's specified by DJI.

We have members here that have crashed open or manually open most of the modules included in nearly all known DJI models released so far ... heating elements have never been found in any of them besides where DJI advertise it to be included & charge extra for it ... the M2 Enterprise version.

The logic you speak of rather says ... why would DJI both include fans and heating on a regular basis in many of their models, sounds quite counter productive energy saving wise. And why should they stuff a sub 250 gram drone with extra components that's not needed ... & why don't they charge extra for it?

Reactions: old man mavic
Think it's really hard to convince others based on the quotes above ... you simply speculating & draw conclusion from that some have flown in colder temps than what's specified by DJI.

And your beliefs, opinions or speculations are better than mine because....?

I thought I had already said most of that myself so im gonna have to disagree with you and agree with you that that this thread isn't going anywhere
Whether or not this thread, is, was already going gone as far as it needed to depends on what drone you own. Some have lipo some have Li-ion other than that I had already basically said the same thing you just did so I'd agree that now its going nowhere but it had already gotten to the place it is now b4 your comment that was only100% correct with lipo users

The logic you speak of rather says ... why would DJI both include fans and heating on a regular basis in many of their models, sounds quite counter productive energy saving wise. And why should they stuff a sub 250 gram drone with extra components that's not needed ... & why don't they charge extra for it?

Why electric cars in Dubai are built to different specs than the electric cars in Norway?

I would expect DJI to try and solve cold climates temperature that could ruin lipol batteries by adding a self heating system into the batteries.

The self heating system is hardly bringing any weight because they are practivally some thin nikel foils. And the electronics is there together with a processor that is way overqualified for what it needs to do. So controlling an extra heating element would be no effort.

On the other hand what DJI has to gain?

Less requests for Care refresh from drones fallen from the sky due to dead lipol batteries in -20C.

Less battery replacements within the legal warranty frame. All in all with a very small cost, virtually no weight added, DJI can save a ton of money from replacements that could be avoided.

So yes, my logic says the Mini2 has heating elements into the batteries. They are just not advertised.

I'm currently in a wifi mobile data dead zone. So im getting all these comments late and not in order. At this point I'm not sure who is disagreeing with who lol. Im out✌

Reactions: Geeforce
I fly fpv in multiple types of aircraft and in any of them the video tx gets very hot if not flying within a minute or two of turning on. I was launching a wing for a friend a couple of weeks back and in the time it took to acquire gps, the vtx was hot enough to burn my finger.
My guess is that a lot of the heat in our minis is caused by the vtx as in my experience the batteries only get noticeably warm when under load.
I can plug a battery in one of my non fpv craft and not fly for half hour or fly gently and it doesnt warm up at all.

Reactions: FlyBackOU812
Why electric cars in Dubai are built to different specs than the electric cars in Norway?

I would expect DJI to try and solve cold climates temperature that could ruin lipol batteries by adding a self heating system into the batteries.

The self heating system is hardly bringing any weight because they are practivally some thin nikel foils. And the electronics is there together with a processor that is way overqualified for what it needs to do. So controlling an extra heating element would be no effort.

On the other hand what DJI has to gain?

Less requests for Care refresh from drones fallen from the sky due to dead lipol batteries in -20C.

Less battery replacements within the legal warranty frame. All in all with a very small cost, virtually no weight added, DJI can save a ton of money from replacements that could be avoided.

So yes, my logic says the Mini2 has heating elements into the batteries. They are just not advertised.
Take your mini out in -20 and just turn it on and let it sit for about 10 minutes, no flying just sitting on the ground powered up. If it does indeed have self heating batteries, you shouldn't get a low temp warning advising you to hover until the batteries reach 60 degrees F operating temperature.

I guess I started a poop show, but I think I have my answer. I won’t let it sit on the table any longer than necessary but I do understand this heat build up is normal. I think a small battery operated fan is in my future to aid in keeping the drone cool during the times I’m making adjustments to the software or updates. Thanks for all the input..... A67CAFCC-FC9E-4FC1-999B-5C69C3EB9DC2.jpeg I have seen these stands online. You could buy one, or make something similar?

If you keep the battery or batteries in you pants pocket next to you warm body until seconds b4 you're ready to fly that problem goes away for good

All the Mavics except for the minis have a cooling fan in them to keep the electronics cool. The M2 remotes even have a fan in them. These are effectively computers. Don't forget these have cameras and much of the video processing is done on one of the board rather than the camera.

By this logic, there is no reason for mavic enterprise either to have self heating batteries.

The Reason why the Enterprise had Self Heating Batteries is because its primary use is for Search and Rescue>
Extreme Temperature Conditions

No one wants to wait any longer than they have to in order to warm up the batteries.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain / Snow and Land on water.

After initial turnon, battery update and fw update, I picked up the drone to turn it off and it was HOT. After reading this thread, I can understand the need to heat the battery to optimal temp, but the inverse applies. There is a Safe-Operating-Area for Li-ion's ( temp and voltage ). The other issue is with the OBVIOUS battery heat issue. NO where does it say in the user guides not to turn on the drone for extended periods of time without flying. If the drone gets so hot that you cannot pick it up, that in itself is an issue.

After initial turnon, battery update and fw update, I picked up the drone to turn it off and it was HOT. After reading this thread, I can understand the need to heat the battery to optimal temp, but the inverse applies. There is a Safe-Operating-Area for Li-ion's ( temp and voltage ). The other issue is with the OBVIOUS battery heat issue. NO where does it say in the user guides not to turn on the drone for extended periods of time without flying. If the drone gets so hot that you cannot pick it up, that in itself is an issue.
Many of the drones run hot , its really not an issue, I think the Air 2s runs the hottest plate underneath but with the Wet Suit its manageable . We run back to back batteries and the hot drone has not been an issue on any of the drones.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the River.

Does anyone have some live data sampling on operating battery temps? The MM2 specs state an operating max temp of 104F. Obviously, letting the drone sit, while on, allows the battery to most likely exceed its recommended temp.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake