DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 gets Warm

moparherb

Reactions
Just a quick question. Sometimes before I fly I will put a battery in my Mini 2 and turn on the controller and maybe take a few minutes to check out the settings before I go outside to fly. This usually takes me a few minutes and I may even start the motors up just to make sure everything is good. When I shut the drone down it feels warm on both sides, I assume this is the battery. Is this normal? No flight actually took place. I’m new to this so I’m just making sure that everything is as it should be.

@moparherb yes this is normal,the Mini doesn't have an internal fan so it dissipates heat from the air movement over it as it flies ,a good way to help it keep its cool, is to use a small desk fan blowing over it when you are doing checks or firmware updates with it connected and on

Just a quick question. Sometimes before I fly I will put a battery in my Mini 2 and turn on the controller and maybe take a few minutes to check out the settings before I go outside to fly. This usually takes me a few minutes and I may even start the motors up just to make sure everything is good. When I shut the drone down it feels warm on both sides, I assume this is the battery. Is this normal? No flight actually took place. I’m new to this so I’m just making sure that everything is as it should be.
Totally normal. And if you let it sit powered on for too long itll get even hotter but it'll give you a notification warning to shut it down and let it cool off before flying if you let it sit too long , its not good for the life of the battery is why. Another thing bad for the overall battery life is charging the battery while still warm, so let them cool off for 15 minutes in the the open air b4 attempting to charge ?

@izometric hi fellow flier where do you get the self heating batteries info from ,the only Mavic batteries that self heat are used in the mavic 2 Pro Enterprise version ,the batteries do get warm but that is a byproduct of the chemical reaction taking place in them as they are being discharged,the whole drone heats up that why it has a heat sync to help it stay cool and in the case of the larger models a cooling fan as well

Reactions: ICHOTT and Thomas B
In my opinion there is no chemical reaction so strong to warm your batteries to 40C when outside temperature is 3C.

Especially when the drone is not in flight, spinning motors and doing heavy computations to maintain stability (when the drone is doing practically nothing).

So my logic says that also mini 2 batteries are self heating.

In my opinion there is no chemical reaction so strong to warm your batteries to 40C when outside the temperature is 3C.

Especially when the drone is not in flight, spinning motors and doing heavy computations to maintain stability.

So my logic says that also mini 2 batteries are self heating.
Easily occur in absence of a cooling fan and with no air flow from drone motion.

@izometric you a can have an opinion as to why the battery gets hot, no one is saying that they dont warm up when current is being drawn from them ,where you went wrong is stating that they are self heating batteries when they are not ,you will notice that they get warm ,when they are being charged as well ,and for that matter even when they self discharge ,it is just a normal reaction due to the technology used in the battery

Totally normal. And if you let it sit powered on for too long itll get even hotter but it'll give you a notification warning to shut it down and let it cool off before flying if you let it sit too long , its not good for the life of the battery is why. Another thing bad for the overall battery life is charging the battery while still warm, so let them cool off for 15 minutes in the the open air b4 attempting to charge ?
The batteries are "smart", can be placed in the charger but will not start charging until cooler.

I did the initial firmware update, went thru some settings, etc before may maiden voyage last week and noticed how warm it was. I went into the apps battery temp page and to my surprise, it said 44C, or about 112F.

@izometric hi fellow flier where do you get the self heating batteries info from ,the only Mavic batteries that self heat are used in the mavic 2 Pro Enterprise version ,the batteries do get warm but that is a byproduct of the chemical reaction taking place in them as they are being discharged,the whole drone heats up that why it has a heat sync to help it stay cool and in the case of the larger models a cooling fan as well
They self heat by default lol I Qasim a bit confused by that person's comment as well. I just assumed he didn't know any different but if you're saying the M2 batteriesactually have that maybe he was thinking they all do that if thats the only drone he has. Still confused as to why they need to be heated when they heat up fine and sometimes to much for my liking. Dont all high output batteries heat by default. Ill be following cuz im now curious why any of them would need to have special heaters. Even flying in sub zero temps all you'd have to do is power up the drone a few minutes b4 flight and they gonna get plenty warm pretty quick

@FlyBackOU812 ,the normal M2P batteries are not self heating just the ones that come with the enterprise version which are used for SAR it is to allow them to operate in cold conditions by keeping the battery at the optimum operating temp as they tend to spend a lot of time flying slowly and hovering, the cold temp will shorten the flight time of a normal battery, hence the self heating ,i flew my MM a couple of days ago to get some pics of the snow, i charged up one battery ,and as soon as it was fully charged, i put it in the drone and went outside and flew from my front garden, the outside air temp was minus 3, i took off and flew around taking pics flight time was 9mins 25 seconds take off battery 98% landing 65%,max battery temp reached was 82.0 f when i took the battery out at the end of the flight it was barely warm

@FlyBackOU812 ,the normal M2P batteries are not self heating just the ones that come with the enterprise version which are used for SAR it is to allow them to operate in cold conditions by keeping the battery at the optimum operating temp as they tend to spend a lot of time flying slowly and hovering, the cold temp will shorten the flight time of a normal battery, hence the self heating ,i flew my MM a couple of days ago to get some pics of the snow, i charged up one battery ,and as soon as it was fully charged, i put it in the drone and went outside and flew from my front garden, the outside air temp was minus 3, i took off and flew around taking pics flight time was 9mins 25 seconds take off battery 98% landing 65%,max battery temp reached was 82.0 f when i took the battery out at the end of the flight it was barely warm
Not saying this was your issue but its definitely not good on the battery to be charged untill it cools so it would be fair to assume as I always have not to go straight from charging to flying either. I could be wrong about the second part but ive never put a battery straight from a finishing charge right into the aircraft and power on. I wait at least 15 - 20 minutes to let things equalize and cool

Reactions: old man mavic
the reason i did it that way was simply because it was so cold outside and i wanted the battery as warm as possible when i took off,the battery was barely warm by the time i had got it all connected

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@izometric you a can have an opinion as to why the battery gets hot, no one is saying that they dont warm up when current is being drawn from them ,where you went wrong is stating that they are self heating batteries when they are not ,you will notice that they get warm ,when they are being charged as well ,and for that matter even when they self discharge ,it is just a normal reaction due to the technology used in the battery

Why would mavic 2 enterprise need self heating batteries when the other drones heat up just fine by chemical reaction? Useless feature right?

Question: how much current is a mini 2 drawing when sitting on the table doing nothing, just a video feed to the phone? Is that enough to bring the battery from 3C to 25C in under 2 minutes?

Why would mavic 2 enterprise need self heating batteries when the other drones heat up just fine by chemical reaction? Useless feature right?

Question: how much current is a mini 2 drawing when sitting on the table doing nothing, just a video feed to the phone? Is that enough to bring the battery from 3C to 25C in under 2 minutes?
Actually thats the worst time believe it or not. Never had a warning pop up saying its over heating and to shut down and let cool before flying or anything other than sitting idling. I'm not sure what it is using so much battery drawl for but it'll happen everytime within 10 minutes in a room temp room sitting on a table, even faster if you sit it on a mattress or fabric Cushin. If you look under the drone those cut outs are maximized and angled to bring in as much fresh fresh air as possible directly accross the main board making it an air cooled system. Sitting in one place running, not only isn't bringing in the air by force, the table or counter flat up against them is even covering them up so not any air at all gets in there and the air that is inside continues getting hotter and hotter as well as the table surface also the longer its running. That underbelly is the only place the factory and designers thought it crucial to put a layer of heat paste. Trust me on this this. But im sure after my explanation it makes since now. Whenever I have it on and sitting which is very rare these days cuz I stopped uploading videos straight from the drone but when I did used to do that I would turn drone upside down to keep it from over heating

Question stands. If batteries heat up like crazy doing nothing, why DJI introduced self heating batteries?

You would expect the electronics and processors developed in 2020 to be extremely power efficient. You want to keep that drone in the air as long as possible, not to convert energy into heat by chemical reaction by a drawing a (large) current for absolutely nothing. Right?

Then why the processor will almost bust into flames when the drone is doing nothing?

I would understand drawing a lot of current in the air, doing millions of computations to spin those propellers for a 1000 stabilizations per second flight. But not just from a simple video feed just sitting on the table.

Question stands. If batteries heat up like crazy doing nothing, why DJI introduced self heating batteries?

You would expect the electronics and processors developed in 2020 to be extremely power efficient. You want to keep that drone in the air as long as possible. Not to convert energy into heat by chemical reaction by a drawing a (large) current for absolutely nothing. Right?

Then why the processor will almost bust into flames when the drone is doing nothing?

I would understand drawing a lot of current in the air, doing millions of computations to spin those propellers for a 1000 stabilizations per second flight. But not just from a simple video feed just sitting on the table.

Your asking the wrong person. Preaching to the choir my friend. You must be confusing me for the person that mentioned it, im totally on your side here my brother. Seems ridiculous to me unless you're flying in 20 below snowy conditions in Antarctica or some **** lol

Your asking the wrong person. Preaching to the choir my friend. You must be confusing me for the person that mentioned it, im totally on your side here my brother. Seems ridiculous to me unless you're flying in 20 below snowy conditions in Antarctica or some **** lol
As far as your statement about whether sitting idle powered on and how much current could it be drawing, it must drawl enough. It actually eat the battery up much faster than I thought it. Would. Itll last 30 minutes at full speed and I don't believe it would last an hour or much more than that sitting

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405