DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 going crazy with pipe overhead - interference from steel object?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all.
As you can see from the video below, I was hovering under a steel pipe and trying to move my camera up to take some pics but it went crazy, started to want to go up and I couldn't bring it down so had to grab it (as it was over a canal) and cut my thumb. Ouch 😁

Question - did it do this because it was affected by the steel pipe / interference?

1719127354956.png

Video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Post the flight log, go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
read the instructions there and .................
or upload the log to Airdata as you have done before.

How close to the pipe was the drone when the trouble started ?
Hi, finally got around to this, please see below screen recording video of log and I will upload the log too....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This entire flight was a kind of a gamble... first off, you had a really poor GPS reception which made the position hold really sketchy.

The green graph below is the GPSlevel... it is a kind of position confidence level, going from worst 0 to best 5 (a HP is recorded when it reaches 4 for instance). Besides a short moment starting at 34,6sec into the flight going to 38sec where the GPS level reaches a 4 (a HP isn't recorded until there)... the GPSlevel is either a 0 a 2, and a 3 in the end.

This meant that the only position hold aid your drone had was the VPS sensor on the belly of the drone. The problem there was that you had your drone over a moving & highly reflective ground... moving water. This made your drone prone to drift horizontally with the water instead of hover in place.

1723323011696.png

All the above doesn't explain the uncommanded height increase though, this as the height hold is kept by the barometric sensor, not the GPS.

But as the height increase happens where you are very close under that pipe I suspect that this happens due to the "suction effect"... (flying close underneath a surface will increase the amount of lift produced) & this made the drone to ascend a couple feet & collide with the pipe before the IMU had time to react to the height increase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buel
Question - did it do this because it was affected by the steel pipe / interference?
The wideangle lens of the drone's camera makes subjects appear closer than they are.
That means that your drone was closer to that pipe than you would think from the camera view.
It's never a good idea to fly that close to hard objects.

"Metal" doesn't cause issues for drones ... it's magnetic metal, like iron or steel that can cause issues.
If the steel in the pipe was causing a problem the issue it would cause is to affect the compass.
That would cause the drone to lose directional stability, the drone would have trouble maintaining its heading and rotate.

Magnetic interference wouldn't affect vertical stability.
Your video shows no issue with directional stability.
Post #8 explains your issue.
Don't fly that close to obstacles.

Reactions: Buel

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ