DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 or Mini 3 Pro?

My point exactly in getting a < 250g drone. I see that you still use the Mini 2.
As a Part 107 pilot in the US, the sub-250g status is not important to me, but the size/portability is. Also, I like the stealth profile of the smaller birds when flying in busy locations.

The Mini 2 has been a real workhorse for me. This one is out of warranty and Care Refresh so I have got my money's worth and then some. I am less risk-averse flying it than other aircraft.

Cost is the main consideration for choosing the Mini 2 over the Mini 3 given that I already have an Air2 and Air2S. I just need a sub 250 g drone for travel to the USA and Europe.
You already have a controller that will work with the Mini 3, so you could just buy the drone without a controller. That will save some money.

I don't know if the controllers you have will work with the Mini 2, and if you can buy a Mini 2 without a controller.

Personally I cannot understand why anybody needs more than one drone??? They all do the same thing, just differently, don't they?
Maybe too much spare money🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'm 44 flights into my first drone, the Mini 2. If I ever upgrade, it would probably be the Mavic 3. I would probably sell or give away the Mini 2, because it's not like you can fly two drones at once!

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
You already have a controller that will work with the Mini 3, so you could just buy the drone without a controller. That will save some money.

I don't know if the controllers you have will work with the Mini 2, and if you can buy a Mini 2 without a controller.
The controllers will work with the Mini 2. But I tried buying a Mini 2 without a controller and it's a no go.

I'm 44 flights into my first drone, the Mini 2. If I ever upgrade, it would probably be the Mavic 3. I would probably sell or give away the Mini 2, because it's not like you can fly two drones at once!
Thats EXACTLY what I'm doing. As much as I'd LOVE to have two drones, (one for "stealth" apparently), I'm such an editing noob that having the Mavic 3 is a real "gift" to be able to focus on while learning. I could have (should have) done all this on the Mini 2 but I had the opportunity to also get the M3 and I did. Obviously, Its more than I need atm so selling the near mint Mini 2 is the wise thing to do, financially. right? lol

Returning the M3 and keeping the Mini 2 IS the better decision, I know, but now that I've had My Precious in hand...

it's not like you can fly two drones at once!
A spare can be handy if one needs to be sent in for repairs. And depending on your location, there are advantages to having a sub-250 g drone even if the performance doesn't match that of a heavier one.

Congrats, don't think you can go wrong with the mini 2, it has been my go to for awhile, I always find myself grabbing it first and one of my other drones second!

Reactions: frcaloy
I have an Air2s and a Mini3, love them both for different reasons. My biggest knock against the Air2s is the lack of zoom for still pictures! I love how quiet the Mini3 is compared to the Air2s, and its even a smaller package to carry around. The RC is very convenient for launching quickly. I personally am happy with both!

I have an Air2s and a Mini3, love them both for different reasons. My biggest knock against the Air2s is the lack of zoom for still pictures! I love how quiet the Mini3 is compared to the Air2s, and its even a smaller package to carry around. The RC is very convenient for launching quickly. I personally am happy with both!
Yup. I just found out that there is a 2x optical zoom in the Mini 2.

Reactions: chopperguy
For me, the Mini 3 w/ RC controller and I kept my Mini 2 until last week being confident with the 3. With the RC O3, I have yet to lose a signal even flying lower in higher winds where I have lost signal with Occusync 2 in same conditions.

The added features, as Willam notes, are a bonus but really comes down to the price vs. Features. The flight characteristics are almost the same having done my own comparisons. The camera is notably better on the 3 in low light evening flights and enjoy the active tracking too. RC is game changing when you don’t need to mess with phone hook up.

I only want to travel with one drone, already traveling with way too much camera gear. Value - the Mini 2 wins, but if you want the best sub <250g drone, the Mini 3 is the one, but at a premium price for the features to the Mini 2.

most considerations have been covered already...but as someone who has both the Mini 2 and Mini 3:

* as people have mentioned, I think those plus batteries are the biggest advantage for the Mini 3. It seems that on about 2/3 of my Mini 2 flights, I've had to RTH just when things got interesting because of battery capacity. With the Mini 3 I almost never worry about battery. Obviously, I pay attention but I really can' recall any flight I had to terminate early because of battery

now, those plus batteries mean it exceeds the 250 gram limit, and that is a consideration. I will probably end up registering the Mini 3 just to be safe

* the Mini 3 seems a lot quieter than the Mini 2. I know much of this is because of the frequency the props deliver, but still, when it comes to sound, perception is reality and the Mini 3 makes a much less noticeable sound

* the Mini 3 does have forward/backward obstacle avoidance and that can be reassuring at times

I have the Tripltek as my flight controller so the RC-N1 is just fine. It's much more visible (and much larger) on a sunny day than the RC, and that's worth a lot to me. I also don't believe the deployment time is dramatically different with the Tripltek than with the RC. Maybe a minute, at most. Still, if the RC appeals to you that's another plus for the Mini 3

obviously, there is a significant difference i cost. If you delete the RC's for each, the Mini 3 costs 350 dollars more (approximately)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet