DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 or Mini 3 Pro?

Personally I cannot understand why anybody needs more than one drone??? They all do the same thing, just differently, don't they?
Maybe too much spare money🤣🤣🤣🤣
I have two, Air 2S and a Mini 3. The Air 2S has a not insignificant advantage in the camera and speed, the Mini 3 Pro wins in weight/size, and flight time. Yes, much of what they do is the same, but each has a clear advantage if you need it. I'm not disappointed in the Mini 3 Pro camera, but I found its limits easily, and the Air 2S camera does beat it. The Mini 3 Pro, in a tracking shot, is much more speed-limited than the Air 2S, in any fight mode.

As mentioned, the smart controller with the Mini 3 is, in fact, the big game changer. It so totally changes the experience, that it gets flown 4X as much as the Air 2S because of the controller. That's until the controller and Air 2 S become compatible, then it may even out.

I don't feel I over-spent on these two, and if I had a Mini 2 rather than the Mini 3, I would justify the Air 2S even more.
Clearly, the REC pilot, casual, occasional...etc., might ever need the capabilites of two drones. In that case though, I'd go for the Mini 3. It just covers more typical needs, and sacrifices little.

For those who want a sub 250g drone, keep in mind that the Flymore combo includes two high cap batteries that, when used, put the aircraft over 250g, taking it out of that category.

Reactions: ckoerner
Very keen to know some things on this list...
There are those who love to hate the Mini 3. I have my criticisms too, but it's also very new and a work in progress. My list is not growing, it's stable or shrinking. The big one is limited range/distance, but I haven't verified if it's a controller, drone, or firmware issue. And frankly, while there is a range limit, you can't hit it without going outside of visual contact too. I have a small "drift" issue, it sometimes likes to wander while in hover. But not always. Less after the last firmware. Otherwise, it's a really great drone with more advantages than problms by far. Obsticle avoidance for a sub 250? Yeah. Nice. I also don't bump into it much, and do fly in sport mode with avoidance off.

I'm also of the "get the best you can afford and don't upgrade so often" mind set. I have a friend who bought a non-DJI $250 drone. Yes, it does 80% of what you want, but that last 20% is full of issues. Now he want's a Mini 3 Pro, and his drone on the used market is worth very little. I can't say his initial decision terrible, but if he'd bought a Mini 2 the need to upgrade to the Mini 3 wouldn't be even has as strong, and he'd have a Mini 2 to sell.

I've never felt bad about spending a little more for something good that will last me longer. Tools, computers, cameras, audio gear, drones, things with two wheels and a motor...etc.

…I have a TRUST certificate. Would like to visit Washington State and fly near Whidbey Island. Beautiful State…
The North end of Whidbey and the West coast of the middle and South end have a lot of controlled and some restricted airspace. Definitely check out B4UFLY or other sources to plan your visit!

It is a beautiful area.

I have two, Air 2S and a Mini 3. The Air 2S has a not insignificant advantage in the camera and speed, the Mini 3 Pro wins in weight/size, and flight time. Yes, much of what they do is the same, but each has a clear advantage if you need it. I'm not disappointed in the Mini 3 Pro camera, but I found its limits easily, and the Air 2S camera does beat it. The Mini 3 Pro, in a tracking shot, is much more speed-limited than the Air 2S, in any fight mode.

As mentioned, the smart controller with the Mini 3 is, in fact, the big game changer. It so totally changes the experience, that it gets flown 4X as much as the Air 2S because of the controller. That's until the controller and Air 2 S become compatible, then it may even out.

I don't feel I over-spent on these two, and if I had a Mini 2 rather than the Mini 3, I would justify the Air 2S even more.
Clearly, the REC pilot, casual, occasional...etc., might ever need the capabilites of two drones. In that case though, I'd go for the Mini 3. It just covers more typical needs, and sacrifices little.

For those who want a sub 250g drone, keep in mind that the Flymore combo includes two high cap batteries that, when used, put the aircraft over 250g, taking it out of that category.
I understand that the smart controller with the mini 3 is around 700 nits brightness? Bought a smartphone with 700 nits because my phone before only has 450 nits and it's a pain.

Hope that the smart controller will be available to the Air 2s.

The North end of Whidbey and the West coast of the middle and South end have a lot of controlled and some restricted airspace. Definitely check out B4UFLY or other sources to plan your visit!

It is a beautiful area.
Thanks. I love WA.

There are two versions of the Fly More kit: one with standard batteries and one with plus batteries. So you just have to buy the right version for your needs.

Reactions: ckoerner
Yes. Correct, two Fly More versions. I got the one with the high capacity batteries. And I went ahead and registered it. I have one small battery that puts it under 250, and I almost always fly with the big batteries.
How many minutes does the high cap battery give?

How many minutes does the high cap battery give?
DJI says “Up to 47 minutes”. As always, it depends on conditions, how your fly it, and how much “reserve” you allow yourself to get home. I’ve had 40 minutes, but I don’t fly particularly conservatively, and I like to land out with battery to spare.

I have a (crippled) Air2s and both the Mini 2 and 3 - and use them all primarily for photography. I love all my drones, but prefer to fly the Mini 3 because of the RC. I live in a warm sunny climate and have trouble seeing my phone screen at times due to the auto-dimming that kicks in when the phone gets hot. Brighter screen RC, quieter operation and the vertical gimbal orientation feature made it worth the purchase for me.

Reactions: Markony
I have owned the Mini 2 since its release. I was recently gifted a Mini 3. The 3 certainly is superior, particularly the camera. It also has the two features I always wished the 2 had - obstacle avoidance and follow me mode. That being said, I have been perfectly content with the 2 and likely wouldn't have upgraded if I hadn't received the 3 as a gift.

Reactions: PeteTheJack
I have a Mavic Air 2 and an Air 2S and I'm thinking of getting either a Mini 2 or Mini 3. Just want a > 250g drone. Since I have an Air 2S, I figure a Mini 2 will do. I love the Air 2 too. It flies longer and has anamorphic lens. I just want a light drone that is 4K capable and has Ocusync 2. The Mini 3 is way more improved but is expensive and may be redundant what with the Air 2S and Air 2.

What do you think?
I have the mini 2 i looked at selling it to get the mini pro but changed my mind i looked at all my videos i done and cant justify the price. But i wont say no in the future, that follow me mode is tempting for me. As i do a lot of filming alone and would add stuff to the video. But i wait a year or 2 i am in no rush.

Reactions: frcaloy
I have a Mavic Air 2 and an Air 2S and I'm thinking of getting either a Mini 2 or Mini 3. Just want a > 250g drone. Since I have an Air 2S, I figure a Mini 2 will do. I love the Air 2 too. It flies longer and has anamorphic lens. I just want a light drone that is 4K capable and has Ocusync 2. The Mini 3 is way more improved but is expensive and may be redundant what with the Air 2S and Air 2.

What do you think?
Mini 2 is fine if you are mainly about photography, Mini 3 is must have if video is your focus.

Reactions: frcaloy
Big advantages of Mini 3 Pro over Mini 2: longer flight time (with Pro battery), better low-light camera, RC controller, better flight performance, gimbal upward tilt, and 90 degree camera rotation. The avoidance sensors and automatic flight modes don't matter to me but some might like those also. Oh, and it is the quietest drone I've ever flown.

Regarding the Air2s comparison, the Mini 3 Pro is slower, not as stable in high winds, and has an inferior camera. Still, I find myself using the Mini 3 Pro more than any other drone I own, especially when travelling. On my last out-of-state trip I took the Mini 2 and the Mini 3 Pro only.

I have the Mini 2 and the Air 2s on a Smart Controller, love them both, and with HDMI out on the smart controller I can do some limited FPV with them, I have the Mini 3 Pro with RC and need more flight time on it but it is quiet and the sensors are a plus. Have not really gotten into the camera/photography aspect much yet. If price is a consideration go with the mini 2. The Air 2s and Mini 2 are my go to drones when I head out to the flying field or buzz around my yard/neighborhood.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121